Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Oh so close...

Look how close I am to having a set rating of 9.00 on my 1972 Topps Football Set

% Complete:........................... 100.00%
Weighted GPA:.........................8.99455930
Set Rating:...............................8.99

1/1000ths of a point away.

And to think, I only need 10 more upgrades to reach my goal.image

Carlos

Comments

• Options
    Carlos,

I have felt your pain. I remember when I was closing in on finishing my 1970 Baseball set, I'd get 3 or 4 PSA 9s to upgrade my 8s, and my GPA wouldn't change. That's the beauty of collecing a huge set. It's even frustrating to me now on some of my other sets. I just upgraded from a PSA 5 to PSA 6 in my T218 set and it didn't change a thing. image

You have a great set. It's only a matter of time (and money, I guess).

JEB.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    What an amazing set Carlos! The 8.99 must bug the crap out of you, but you'll get it over that 9.0 mark.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Carlos,
    Great set. I have a friend who has a John Riggins PSA 10 that would put you above the 9.00 mark. It is the IA one. I am not sure of the number. I bought it for him for a Christmas present three years ago. What is that worth to you?

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭

Email me...aponte@adelphia.net...maybe we can work out a deal.

Carlos
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    All it takes is money...and lots of it.
  • Options

<< <i>All it takes is money...and lots of it. >>

Wrong . It takes a lot of hard work as well. Buccaneer I realize you have never attempted to complete an all graded set nor have any plans to attempt to, so let me point out that money sure helps and will allow you to get to a certain completion percentage much faster but it still requires a great deal of effort to complete.

Buccaneer had you been around these boards longer than 10 months you would realize what kind of effort and sacrifice Carlos has put into that set . So for someone to come aboard and say all it takes is money is an insult

Congrats on an awesome set Carlos

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the don, it takes more then just money. It takes plenty of patience and hard work in completing any set in graded form.....that would include a 55 card set too..............
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Sorry, I was responding to 1954's post and not Carlos commendable effort.

• Options
    For what it's worth (which I know is not much), my persistent negativity towards registry sets is and should not be construed at anything against the set builder, the dealers or the purpose of and quest in obtaining such a difficult endeavor. I just react against the implied competition and the "my-set-is-better-than-your-set" that the Set Registry strongly forces upon set builders with its prominent rating and ranking system. I suspect that by having such an empirical ranking system, it forces some collectors to spend more or to buy more expensive cards than they had planned or wanted to, or should, just so you can see your score go up. If PSA were to set up a Set Registry without regards to rankings based on ratings, then my curmudgeonly attitude wouldn't show as much.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    curmudgeonly

I had to dust off the Webster's dictionary for that word...... I love the Set Registry concept - but then again, I collect vintage football primarily because vintage baseball is "out of my league". I'm putting together a PSA 8+ 1959 set and the most I've paid for a PSA 8 card is $25 and for a PSA 9 is $125 (mostly commons and minor stars). If you look at the comparative 1959 baseball set (or any other year), you can pay many times those amounts for "low pop" cards. The point of my post is that the older vintage baseball sets are strictly collected by the wealthy and the rest of us piece together our little pieces of heaven.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I got it.....9.00image
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    CONGRATS Carlos!!!!!!

I remember that it felt like it took 22 cards to go from 8.99 to 9.00 in my 72 Baseball! But, when I finally plugged in that last cert # and saw it update a little while later - WOW!!!!

Great job!!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Great job, Carlos. Congratulations!

JEB.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    great job to all of us!
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options

<< <i>great job to all of us! >>

Huh? What does that mean?

JEB.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Carlosimage

I can only imagine how much time and effort it took to get to that levelimage

Steve
  • Options
    TIMELINE:

Started Set on 1-9-2002...
    Set Completed on 11-19-2002....
    All-Time Finest in GPA and Set Rating 3-30-2003...
    Completed set in PSA 8NQ and higher on 11-21-2003...
    Reached a 9.00 GPA and SET RATING on 9-1-2004
  • Options
    Wow, congrats on your great set. That must have took a ton of work to complete. I am just starting to collect PSA sets and not moving very fast (as I'm only 17 and have no job) but I hop eone day to be able to collect sets like yours and many of the others on the board. Once again congrats on reaching 9.00.
    Collecting:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar PSA 7-10 12/17 70.59%
    Barry Sanders PSA 9-10
    Any graded PSA basketball stars Pre-1980