Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Fun French Ecu and some help needed

Here's a fun little (well not so little) coin:

It's a 1704-P Ecu of Louis XIV from the Dijon mint.

Some of the interesting things about this coin:

1. Too obscure to be listed in Krause or is listed incorrectly (typical).
2. Dijon was the only mint that used "U" rather than "V" in the legends in "LUD" and "BENEDICTUM" between 1690 and 1709.
3. The coin is a reformation type and was officially over-struck at least twice. The current type was struck over an "Insignia" type of 1701-1703. That type was overstruck on a "Palms" type from 1695 (of which only the date and crescent remain).

I'm hoping someone may have an obscure reference to help clear something up. Krause lists a 1704-P Ecu (KM# 360.16), however it is cross-referenced to Davenport #1322 and noted as Draped bust, right. This however, is an Armored bust, right, Davenport 1320; Cf. KM# 360.1; Ciani 1324.

Can someone with perhaps a copy of any of the following references, confirm or deny the existance of 1704-P Ecus with the Draped bust, right type. Otherwise I'm just guessing Krause dropped the ball again and either they neglected to list the other mints under KM#360.1 or they've misdescribed/misattributed KM#360.16. Either way it's a pretty scarce coin, but I'd like to have it pinned down for sure before selling it.

Sobin, George: The Silver Crowns of France.
Duplessy, J.: Les Monnaies Francaises Royales de Hughes Capet a Louis XVI.
Droulers, F. Repertoire general des monnaies de Louis XIII a Louis XVI.
Gadoury: Monnaies Royales Francaises 1610-1792
Any other reputable source that I'm not aware of.

Any help would be appreciated.
https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Comments

• Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I have a copy of this book:
    Gadoury: Monnaies Royales Francaises 1610-1792

Checking the Louis XIV ecu section I do not see any 1704-P draped bust coins. Actually the only ecus with a draped bust portrait of Louis made after 1694 is listed as type 227, the same as KM 362.1. The years and mints for type 227 are:
    1704 A
    1705 A
    1706 A
    1708 A
    1708 T

Judging by the prices listed the draped bust variety was valued about 10x as much as an armored bust.

Cavaet: Mine is an older version of the book (1978 edition) so it may have been upated since.

Hope this helps,
    -JamminJ
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Oh, just in case there's any doubt the coin you have imaged is an armored bust.

-JamminJ
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Ah, things are beginning to make sense now. In fact, it is beginning to look more like I was a victim of poor book layout, moreso than erroneous information. Krause lists 362.1 (Gadoury 227) with a similar premium to that described in Gadoury's book. What they've done is interjected that type right into the column which lists KM#360.1; Davenport 1320; Ciani 1324. So stupid people like me who assume that once you insert a picture with a change in type description and Davenport# it should apply to the whole column, get confused. It would seem that the next KM# below the listing for the draped bust type is another 360.X referring back to the 360.1 and therefore represents an armored bust type again. AAARRRRRGHH! image *bangs head on desk repeatedly*

Well, I'm glad I got that figured out. Thanks for the info James. I suppose I could have just taken the easy way out like the guy we bought this from, and mistake the M in the BENEDICTVM undertype legend for a 'W' mint-mark. image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.