Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA Commercials that Should be Made

I've been trying to think of new ways that PSA can bring new "graded" customers into the market over the upcoming years. I think the best way would be to do some low-budget commercials on cable TV. Think about it! All it would take would be some 30 or 60 second spots during Star Trek or the Man Show reruns and I think that PSA would be FLOODED with more business than it could handle!

First One…

Big Bob Johnson drives his newly restored, classic Mustang convertible over to his friend “Little Bill” Brown’s house. In the car with Bob are 3 “hotties”. Bob asks Bill if he wants to join them for a ride.
Bill responds, “Gee thanks Bob… But I’m waiting for the mailman right now. When he gets here, I’ll have the last card I need to move me into 2nd place on the PSA Set Registry – so thanks, but I’ll pass”.
The blonde in the front seat coos, “Ooooohhh, that’s like a Silver Medal in the Olympics!”

You then see Big Bob drive off… alone…

Second one…

Three elderly women are under hair dryers in the beauty parlor when one of them starts off with “Oh… I just got a call from my son – you know, the lawyer? He just won another big case this week…” The second one says, “Well, my son was just named Chief of Surgery at a major metropolitan hospital!” The third one just smiles and says smugly “My son just won two Set Registry certificates in the VINTAGE Baseball category.” The first two women look over, disgusted because they know that they can’t top it and go back to reading their magazines…

I figure that these first two would let guys know that girls will think they’re hot and that their mommas would be proud of them. I was also thinking of another one… I don’t know… maybe in Klingon… that would go after a different crowd altogether.

You could also have one with Marshall Fogel reading a fan letter from Heidi Klum - talking about his INCREDIBLE collection. Oh, and if you're ever in New York, give me a call at (212) 555-5555 - as Mrs. Fogel tells Marshall - I thought I asked you to close down viewing on those???

Any other commercials that you think would help the effort?!?!?! image
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    they need to do a PSA PSA..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    FB- Those were greatimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Is it time for a real men of genius PSA commercial?
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Three elderly women are under hair dryers in the beauty parlor when one of them starts off with “Oh… I just got a call from my son – you know, the lawyer? He just won another big case this week…” The second one says, “Well, my son was just named Chief of Surgery at a major metropolitan hospital!” The third one just smiles and says smugly “My son just won two Set Registry certificates in the VINTAGE Baseball category.” The first two women look over, disgusted because they know that they can’t top it and go back to reading their magazines…

image That one I do not think can be topped ... but I will try

A man and a woman are getting ready to have a nice romantic dinner. The room is dimly lit with candles and the table is well appointed. He hands her a box that is wrapped with a nice bow, and says "Happy Anniversary". She looks at him and smiles. He says, "and it is certified". She opens the box and with utter joy screams "Mickey Mantle PSA 9" and then hugs him.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    There's a semi tacky (yet semi interesting) coin commercial that's been running for a while around here. It tells the story of the worlds scarecist coin. I think it's called the Double eagle gold coin. Apparently it was stolen, then lost, then rediscovered (or something like that). It also barely escaped the World Trade Center bombing by being moved from there shortly before the tragedy.

The company is trying to sell commemorative remakes of the coin, and I'd imagine they do sell a few... as the commercial's been running for many months now.

Anyway, I remember thinking that PSA could do a similar type of commercial, maybe hi-lighting an old scarce card ... and how it was found in someone's attic, or some interesting story? Pointing out that "there are only 2 of these known to exist in the entire world" and that "the last one sold at auction for $350,000," or whatever.

The money factor would get everyone's attention, and it would probably get a few people up off of the couch to go search out their old card collection they have stored away.

I'm not sure if you could explain PSA and the concept of graded cards quick enough in a 30 second spot to make it worth PSA's time to run them.... but I do think if PSA approached eBay to do a co-op commercial like this, that it could have a decent impact on getting the PSA name out there, get a few more collectors into the fold, and get new customers over to ebay and PSA all at the same time.

Like was mentioned earlier, the cable channels like ESPN, Discovery, History Channel, Nascar, etc... are not very expensive to run spots on, and if they co-op'd them with another company they could do it for 1/2 price.

A well made commercial, targeting the right audience, would probably do well for PSA.

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Finding T206 Honus Wagner raw 10,000
    Finding T206 Honus Wagner graded PSA 8 1,200,000
    Finding T206 Honus Wagner on an ebay "uncle died and had this so it must be real auction " is a fake...priceless

For everthing else there's PSA...
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    I think Mike Wentz and BOTN should walk
    into a bar. They should throw down their
    PSA slabbed cards in front of the bartender.

Then the commercial begins.

Mike..." I drink Light Beer from Miller because it's less filling."

BOTN..."Tastes great!"

Mike..."Less FILLING."image

BOTN...."Tastes GREAT !!!"image

Mike...."At least we can agree on one thing...PSA is the best
    choice for graded cards."

BOTN... image
  • Options
    have you lost confidence in yourself due to E.D.?

has male pattern baldness got you down?

are you going through a mid-life crisis?

if you answered yes to any of these questions and have a ton of disposable income then the PSA registry is the place for you.

enter JOE ORLANDO:

hi, i'm joe orlando PSA PRESIDENT at the PSA registry you can regain that lost confidence by burying your competition , feel the depression lift as you soar to the top spot on the registry, recapture the glory of your youth by having the best collection on the block, apply for membership today and enter into the experiance of a lifetime.

legal disclaimer: side effects may include but are not limited to ; long hours at your PC, paranoia, mood swings, egomania, lost assets, maritial strife, loss of focus, associating with known criminals, feeble attempts at "card doctoring", diminished sex drive and eye strain.
    in more extreme cases bi-polar episodes and cardiac arrest may occur.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    You see!

If we don't make it in our respective fields - we can always go into advertising!

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    One big 20 second splash/spend on a major sporting event would blow their business thorough the roof. But, in the corporate world, it's all about controlled growth. You don't want to sell what you can't deliver.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    FRANK - Good Stuff! image ...jay
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    The major problem with all of this is when the "car lease disclaimer guy" comes on at the end and states "Only $99 for your first submission of 6 cards, shipping to and from PSA not included." Then states "your grades may vary from those stated in this commercial", "no profit is guaranteed as the market is volatile, you could lose some, or all of your investment".

Good Luck trying to get Grandma to fork out over $120 for 6 of those "little card holders", when she saw a pack of 10 "just like them" at Walmart for $7.95. What do you think little Billy will be getting at Xmas, certainly not 6 graded cards.

Most "card people" who can afford to drop $120 on a whim, already know about card grading, be it BGS, PSA, etc.. and either hate it, love it and submit their own, or buy pregraded cards already. Or how about a special deal from PSA for new members, that would alienate all us current members who pay full price.

• Options
    Fonzie, holding a 52 Mantle in his hand, leans over and whispers into Chachi's ear....PSSSSS-AYYYYY.

Kevin
  • Options
    Regular PSA submitter sitting in his den after just opening another shipment of graded cards from PSA. A look of total and complete dejection on his face as he grapples with the results of another encounter with the "Grader of Death".
    Cut to a split screen with the submitter on the phone with Joe Orlando, the submitter pouring his dejected heart out for merciless reconsideration.
    Joe takes a long contemplative pause as the caller goes silent; Joe says, " I've got good news for you...", the caller perks up a smile begins to rise in the corner of his mouth, ".... I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance by going to GEICO!"
    Snare drum, da dum, dum.
    Submitter mouth agape. Fade to black.

Oh...wait that's a GEICO commercial, ... I see....never mind.

RayBShotz :-)
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    The camera is zoomed in on a semi-rigid containing a Babe Ruth card. The holder has the big PSA "evidence of trim" sticker slapped on the front of it for all to see. The camera starts to pull back slowly, and shows more rejected holders and trimmed cards laying around in the dirt. Wadded up submission forms and torn up SMR's are scattered all about. 100's of bogus cards are all over the ground. The camera pans to a nearby creek where more trimmed cards and trash are floating downstream. As the camera pulls back you see Joe Orlando standing there next to the creek and the trash, holding the Babe Ruth card. Joe is dressed in an American Indian costume, and a single tear runs down his face.
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Three guys stand at three consecutive urinals in a bathroom. Our P.O.V. is obviously behind them.

First guy: A straight "5".

Second guy: (Confidently) I got a "7".

Last guy: Boys, hate to brag, but mine is a "10".

First guy: Can I see it?

Narrator (Michael Douglas): Sometimes it's just nice to hold someone else's.

Cut to: Three 1953 Willie Mays cards in PSA 5, 7 and 10 Holders.

or

A burglar breaks into a huge, expensive mansion. He moves down a line of stuff on the wall. First, we see the Mona Lisa. He takes it off the wall, hesitates and puts it back. He keeps going. Second, we see a framed Declaration of Indepence". He takes it, hesitates and puts it back. He keeps walking. Last, he comes to a PSA 10 1975 Rico Carty and snatches it off the wall. Bell, whistles and sirens go off and a metal cage falls from the ceiling ensnaring him.

Cut to: Interior of a prison. The burglar is sitting in an electric chair.

Priest: Do you have anything to say for yourself?
    Burglar: If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

A hand pulls the switch. We hear the zap of electrical current and the room brightens with sparks.

Narrator: PSA Sets. We've all lost friends along the way.

Overlay with graded cards and the PSA Registry Logo.

S.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Or how about a special deal from PSA for new members, that would alienate all us current members who pay full price. >>

If PSA did that, my wife, 2 kids, 2 cats, and a hamster would all become "new" PSA members.
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    scumbi- those are both top notch