Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

why do PSA graded cards sell more than GAI OR SGC ?

a quick question to the all knowing board. I own graded cards from the three mentioned grading co. and if I were to cross over I believe they would grade the same . So if the grading standards are close with each other , why than would cards from psa go for more money than the other two companys. I know that the SMR could have something to do with it, but could anyone be more specific. thanks, for your reply. bob

Comments

• DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    PSA is the Cadillac of the industry, not perfect, but sets the bar for standards at a consistently high level. IMO anyway. Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    its a conspiracy!

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • 1. The Set Registry
    2. Same reason Coca Cola, Nike, Godiva, Kohler, Starbucks, and many others bring a premium--Branding.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• they have earned their reputation, and it speaks for itself. PSA is the leader. its like lexus and toyota. the same car, but which would you rather pull up to the club in on saturday night.
  • Becareful trying to crossover GAI to PSA though lately there are lots of reports of PSA rejecting GAI cards due to possible trimming, even thought the same card can be cracked out and graded by PSA without a second look. There have been some reports of the cards grading better through PSA than they were by GAI. Overall though I think PSA, GAI, Beckett and SCG are all very close in grading standards. It just all comes back to the name.
  • TipemTipem Posts: 881

I think that Buckwheat has hit the nail on the head,although there might be a change in the wind in the next year or so.Don't be surprised.

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.

• << <i>they have earned their reputation, and it speaks for itself. PSA is the leader. its like lexus and toyota. the same car, but which would you rather pull up to the club in on saturday night. >>

sounds like you're talking about BGS and BCCG
  • no not really. more like psa being a nice expensive ls430, with sgc and gai being a fully loaded avalon. bgs would be a corolla with roll up windows, with bccg being an 86 tercel missing the driver side floorboard.

i work on cars all day, sorry for the example image.
  • acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I heard that GAI is coming out with a set registry on Monday...PSA's toast!
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Part of it is self-fulfilling. They sell for more so . . . they continue to sell for more.
  • MrMooMrMoo Posts: 199

<< <i>2. Same reason Coca Cola, Nike, Godiva, Kohler, Starbucks, and many others bring a premium--Branding. >>

Actually I just can't drink Pepsi. It doesn't like me. And I can't believe I am one of them. But now I have to make sure that it is not Pepsi I am drinking. image
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think their success can be attributed to some excellent marketing early in the graded card boom (first widely distributed graded card price guide, first set registry, promotions, first on-line submission check, first on-line cert verification, etc). That put forth the momentum that continues to carry them today. SGC does have a strong presence in the pre-war market and BGS has a strong position in the modern market. But PSA has probably the strongest presence when averaging across all eras.
  • I think it would be the set registry.

Many a time you will sell an SGC or a GAI for the same amount of bucks, but on higher end cards with many deep pocket buys on PSA's registry. I just think that these guys would much rather bid and pay a premium for a PSA 9 for their set rather then risk purchasing an SGC 96 or GAI 9 for their set.

Sure many a times they cross over no problem. Sometimes the grades go up sometimes they go down. I think when guys are spending that sort of coin they don't want to take any risk.
    Collector of T201 Mecca double folders. Graded and Raw...