Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

I must be missing something???

Just completed ebay auction for 2004-P Peace Medal Jefferson Nickel PCGS MS-67
I collect Jefferson's but I think this is a bit much.image

Jefferson Collection

Comments

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A classic case of two last-second snipers putting in 'crazy money' bids. One wins and one loses, but at crazy money.

My bet is that this coin will be returned to the seller since it had a return policy.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My bet is that this coin will be returned to the seller since it had a return policy. >>

I doubt it. The winning bidder is no stranger to paying strong money for the coins he wants.

Russ, NCNE
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both buyer and seller are class acts. You can count on a completed sale IMHO.

Time will tell whether the that coin stays a $500+ coin. The key I believe is whether Jay's maid can enlist the services of all of her teenage assistants and the team of maids can produce more of them image

You do know that this coin was likely "cherry-picked" by a maid or nanny (pardon me if she was actually the nanny) image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Well I am out of the loop and don't know anything about maids or nannys. ???

But I agree totally with the statement "Both buyer and seller are class acts."

Of course if the buyer doesn't think the coin deserves the grade he will return it. We know it is a gamble to buy highest graded coins as they are newly made. However nickels are, and always have been, tough to make in super high grades and I have the impression that the Mint rushed to produce a huge number of 2004s. I don't think they cared much about producing top quality coins. That is just an impression and guess so take it with a grain of salt...
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for the underbidder he'd have had it for $150.00 less.

peacockcoins

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    There were 3 bidders over $300.......wow!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • I must be missing something???

Now if I had seen this auction in time I would have placed a higher bid – OOPS I won this one! image

If you want to see crazy money check out the tonight’s Teletrade auction for a 2001P MS68FS last bid was $3000 for a pop 4 coin.

The pop on the MS67 I won was only a 3. Looks like a bargain by that standard
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally slabbed 3/4 of the 2001(p) Jeffs out there in MS68FS and I can tell you from first hand experience, they are super tough coins to locate in MS68FS grade. Night and day between MS67FS and MS68FS (no different than say slabbing "p" mint MS66RD Lincolns from the 1950's vs. MS67RD if you know what I mean). Not to mention, the JHF set has all -3- 2001(p) MS68FS in the set (per the comment section) - so for all practical purposes, this pop 4 coin was really the only coin on the market at this time to be sure.

The 04 Peace Medal nickel in MS67 is an uncertain "commodity" at this point - although Frank knows his Jeffs and I suspect he got a fine deal on the coin today.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • I have one in stock, leave me a note.

I also have some very nice Jessica Lynch MS-66 Signed Nickels for a 1/4th the price (pair)

• Must be a new up and comer with only 52 feedbacks. He does bid high for what he wants, though. I don't think it was a case of sniping a ridiculous amount just to win and then returning it later. Who knows? We may be witnessing the birth of another Mr. Platinum. image
  • You guys. . .
    I just got done submitting a box full of coins (using up my free gradings too) Saturday.
    Now I have to go back and check out my Peace Medal nickels and see if I need to send them in too.
    Geeeesh. . .
  • The pop on this is 3/0? That's for now! How many will there be in 67 a year from now? I'm not criticizing the bidders here, but there's no way I would pay that money for a freshly minted modern...

JMHO,

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Mitch is talking about how I showed my Nanny how to look for coins in mint sets to grade. She's only 19 and desperately wants to go to college. Came to me and asked if there was anything she could do to make a little extra money while the kid slept so I pay her an extra $5 an hour to do stuff for me. Just for the record I only showed my Nanny how to look through the quarters. The gem quarters in the 2004 mint sets sort of just jump out at you and are pretty easy to pick out. Took about half hour before she figured it out. The other half of the mint sets takes a little more skill and I went through those.

I wasn't suprised the coin brought so much. It's pretty normal for the first few high grade coins to be graded go for a lot of money. Usually a bunch more coins get graded and the price collapses and sometimes it turns out they are the tough ones and the price stays up there. Time will tell on this one. I think the 2004-P Peace in MS-67 will be the hardest nickel to get. Most of the people I've talked to say the 2004-P Peace Nickels in the mint sets have been dogs.

The coin is very solid for the grade and I doubt it will be returned. On ebay I've never had someone return a coin because they felt they paid too much. The few returns I've had were coins that the customer wasn't happy with the quality.
  • Good points, but I got a PCGS MS66 for $20!! One grade higher is worth 25 times the 66? Maybe to some, but not me. Now, if it were a 19th century coin where there is very little chance of the pops changing dramatically, that would be different. But a 2004?!?

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!