Home Sports Talk
Options

Barry Bonds - MVP #7

WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
Unles they are tired of giving it to him.
Wondo

Comments

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Rolen and Pujols will edge him if the cardinals get to playoffs and the giants dont.

they might cancel out though...
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Dodgers' Adrian Beltre!
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    Bonds showed tonight what happens when you pitch to him. 4-5 with 2 HR and 6 RBI. I admire Bobby Cox for pitching to him, though I doubt it was the best thing to do.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options

<< <i>Bonds showed tonight what happens when you pitch to him. 4-5 with 2 HR and 6 RBI. I admire Bobby Cox for pitching to him, though I doubt it was the best thing to do. >>

You got that right! Still I think Beltre should get it if the Dodgers make the playoffs and the Giants don't, which is pretty likely IMO. Also the Cardinals have too many good players to single out one for the MVP.

Brian
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    He is a great player and deserves it, but still an ungrateful mealy mouthed dork as an individual and gives nothing back to the game that has made him millions.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    How many times has Pujols, Beltre or Rolen been intentionally walked with the bases empty or with first base occupied?
  • Options

<< <i>How many times has Pujols, Beltre or Rolen been intentionally walked with the bases empty or with first base occupied? >>

Or with 1st and 2nd occupied, or even with the bases loaded. Or leading off an extra inning with the bases loaded.

Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Giving Bonds the MVP is pretty much the same as giving Jack Nicholson the Oscar- they pretty much deserve it every time. What is his obp this year, .630 or something? When the book is closed on him it'll be tough not recognizing him as the greatest ever.
    Do walks count as total bases? If so, what is he at now, and what is the record?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Do walks count as total bases? If so, what is he at now, and what is the record? >>

Walks do not count as total bases. The record is 457 (I think); Bonds has only 250ish.

Bonds does hold the single season Slugging PCT (TB/AB) (.863) ; he eclipsed Ruth's 80-yesr-old mark a couple of years ago. Two years ago, he broke Ted Williams 60-year old mark for On base average and looks like he will break it again.

His numbers look stupid.
    Wondo

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonds will win. He is just too good. After Bonds starts slowing down though, Albert Pujols will win his share of MVP's. This guy is just 24 and just keeps getting better.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Dodgers' Adrian Beltre! >>

If Beltre beats Bonds, it will be only through a corrupt voting procedure. Beltre leads Bonds in HR, RBI and XBH, but only by marginal amounts, and with 50% more at-bats than Bonds. Bonds leads in runs scored, walks and strikeouts, and is KILLING Beltre in batting average, slugging %, on-base % and OPS. No contest.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    It all will boiled down to if the Giants make the playoffs. If they do, Bonds is a lock. If the Giants don't, it will probably be Rolen or less likely Pujols. Traditionally a lot of writers believe the MVP goes to the best player of the teams that made the playoffs. One case in point: Ted Williams once won the Triple Crown, but was not the MVP.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One case in point: Ted Williams once won the Triple Crown, but was not the MVP >>

Conversely, if I remember correctly, didn't Ripken once get a MVP on a divisional last place Orioles team? (Can't remember what year it was)

BOTR
  • Options
    "The Hawk", Andre Dawson won the NL MVP in his first season with the last place Cubs in 1987.
  • Options
    I believe tht even sportswriters have educated themselves enough tha tperipheral stats like RBI's are not as importatnt as SLG PCT and OBA.

One of my favoritr stats is outs made: so far in 2004:

Bonds: 199
    Pujols: 349
    Rolen: 319
    Beltre: 337

Thats AB-H+DP+CS

We always measure offensive production, but this shows how many of a teams outs these guys are responsible for.

These guys are great players, but Bonds is stupid!
    Wondo