Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1976 and later,,,,,,,,,???

A brief look-see at the registry shows a very small number of fully complete major brand baseball sets, after 1975.

In fact I think there is only ONE regular issue set 100% complete, in this more recent date range, an outstanding 1981 Fleer set. A small amount of others are pretty close , but this lack of finished sets prompts some questions, which I would really enjoy hearing others' views.

Is 1975 the last set of any real interst ?

Should not the more recent dates provide more raw material at somewhat reasonable prices and promote interest ?

Are most of the top collectors too old to appreciate 1976 thru about 1992 ?

In the next five or ten years , will this time span really take off and become popular ?

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.

Comments

• Options
    Right now there seems to be some interest in the late 1970s sets and some of the “classic” (1984 Donruss, 1989 Upper Deck, 1990 Leaf) later sets. I would expect to see set on the registry completed for 1976-78 topps within the next few months. There also seems to be at least several collectors pursuing PSA graded sets (or even runs of PSA graded sets) from the 80’s.

I believe that interest will grow for these especially by those who grew up collecting these sets. Right now a lot of these collectors are taking a wait and see approach for sets from this era, and many do not yet have the resources yet to pursue such sets. The first cards I remember as a kid are 1986 Topps cards. I would love to build PSA 1986 Topps set one day, but right now I don’t have either the time or money to do so. Also, I feel if I wait long enough, many PSA 10s will become available for these sets at discounted prices.
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    jaxxr,

Good post that deserves some discussion.

I believe that cost is a major factor here. For post 1975, you can purchase most of the sets complete in NM/MT or better condition for $200 or so. The additional $3000-$4000 to have an entire set graded is a turnoff to most, and will most likely never result in an investment if/when you would choose to sell. From the dealer's perspective, the same applies. You won't see large submissions of commons from these years that find their way into slabs.

In hindsight, I think a lot would agree that it was probably a mistake to start collecting graded sets from '73-'75 as well, from a cost perspective only. 1972 seems to be the last set that really makes sense to grade (some would argue '71).

There is just too much high grade raw material out there post 1975 for it to happen any time soon. As a collector, the first set that I seriously collected as a kid was 1979 Topps and I might try that one someday, but I just can't justify the cost of grading my cards.

JEB.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    As JEB has touched upon, and speaking from a total submission standpoint, to grade a complete 660 set in one shot would be $3500 to $4000+ ($5 special or the $6 'usual') just for fees/insurance/shipping alone. Considering that 8's aren't very impressive in 80's and up sets, you'd have to pretty much all 9 and 10 in this 660 submission. Even if you got only 10% or 15% eights and the rest higher, that still represents 66-100 cards that would have to be either resubmitted or found again to round out the set. (Unless you'd be happy with the lower gpa using these 8's.) Add another $1K max for the continued tweaking to make it all 9-10ish, and you're staring at $5-5.5K for all.........the raw, grading, more raw, more grading, again and again, tweaking, etc. And the total tab could even go higher.

Currently, PSA 9 commons out there in many of these years can be had for under or way under grading fees.

I think interest is there but to spend this kind of coin on new stuff just doesn't jibe with most collectors. I detect a holding pattern for the masses.

BOTR
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I think it's fine to collect these sets, as long as you're not the one getting their butt kicked submitting. If you can buy slabbed stuff for $5 in 9, who cares? What's the downside, that 1978 Topps PSA 9 selling for $4 next time around? I think, as long as it's done responsibly costwise, any of these sets are worthy of completion in slabbed form.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    How about just collecting these sets primarily in raw and have the few star cards graded? Why anyone would think about having a complete graded set of any 80s set is beyond me. I would concur that the cutoff for a complete graded set would be 1972.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    That's exactly my plan, Buc. Long term, I'd like to complete a run of Topps football sets, but for 1968 up (cutoff date might change) I'd only grade the stars and big rookies. I plan to screen through commons and build high grade sets, just not get the more recent commons slabbed.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Joe, I actually feel that way about any Topps sets, even going back to the 1950s - but that's just me. image

By the way, I am happy to hear of another fellow libertarian (small "l" not big "L" though).
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    There is just too much high grade raw material out there post 1975 for it to happen any time soon. As a collector, the first set that I seriously collected as a kid was 1979 Topps and I might try that one someday, but I just can't justify the cost of grading my cards.

Anytime you know where it is,Jeb feel free to let me know image
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why anyone would think about having a complete graded set of any 80s set is beyond me. >>

Maybe because we don't care if these cards are for investment or not. Maybe it's a great childhood memory, and the spark that started us in this hobby. Maybe it's the fun of paying $80 for a 1152 card rack box, and opening them to find those hidden gems that we can submit ourselves. Maybe it's the joy of collecting high-grade examples of players we actually saw play. Maybe it's the fact that we can't afford or aren't willing to pay the price to build a 1952 Topps set. Maybe it's none of the above. But rest assured, I don't think those of us building 80's sets in graded form really give a crap whether you approve or not.

Sorry, but those kinds of statements really irk me.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    Nice post and one I've wondered about too. I wish I had the funds to have some of my 70's and newer sets graded but the grading is more expensive than the sets starting in the 70s which I think will keep them from ever getting a lot of people listing on the registry.

Maybe grading the stars and leaving the commons raw is the best idea.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Maybe because we don't care if these cards are for investment or not. Maybe it's a great childhood memory, and the spark that started us in this hobby.

umm hummm.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why anyone would think about having a complete graded set of any 80s set is beyond me. >>

Maybe because we don't care if these cards are for investment or not. Maybe it's a great childhood memory, and the spark that started us in this hobby. Maybe it's the fun of paying $80 for a 1152 card rack box, and opening them to find those hidden gems that we can submit ourselves. Maybe it's the joy of collecting high-grade examples of players we actually saw play. Maybe it's the fact that we can't afford or aren't willing to pay the price to build a 1952 Topps set. Maybe it's none of the above. But rest assured, I don't think those of us building 80's sets in graded form really give a crap whether you approve or not.

Sorry, but those kinds of statements really irk me. >>

I have espoused several times here the joy of collecting and building sets and not being caught up in the competition and hype of the set registry. One can collect however it pleases them (I didn't mean to say otherwise, sorry) but sometimes I react to the tone that a graded set is the best way of building sets. However, my feeble attempt of making a point was that it doesn't have to be all graded, does it? I've built seven 83T sets by hand way back when and that was a joy to do, just like 70T set I did because those were the players I started growing up with.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    PlayBallBerniemeister - keep your shirt on!! Nobody is calling anyone out on the carpet basis their collecting interests. If anyone has deep enough pockets to grade a more modern issue because it is of nostalgic interest to them - go for it!!! I interpreted any comments made here strictly stated from a cost of grading standpoint. IMO, it is around this time that sets became more difficult to focus on due to the proliferation of cards in the sets/subsets. I enjoy taking a quick look my 12 mint sets of 1993 Upper Deck, but I would never pay to grade them...exaggerated for effect. Best regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Buccaneer,

I didn't mean to come down on you so hard. Sorry about that. You are definitely in the majority in your sentiments though. Most people just shake their head when I tell them I'm building an '81 Topps set and an '89 UD set. I guess it just finally got to me.

DirtyHarry,

Be not afraid. My shirt is on. Also, deep pockets has nothing to do with it. I realize that building an '81 Topps set in graded form is a money losing proposition. I just don't care. The way I look at it is, I could spend $4000 and take my wife on an exotic vacation. That would provide enjoyment for the week or two that it lasted. Or I could spend it on grading fees, or already slabbed '81 Topps cards, which will provide enjoyment for the rest of my life. Either way, the money is gone, so in this respect, I chose cardboard over my wife. We all must keep our priorities in order, right?

Anyhoo, I don't see graded sets for the 80's ever taking off. They may gain some modest popularity in the future, but nothing like sets from the 50's or 60's. There will always be the stigma of "overproduction" attached to them, so whether these sets are actually hard to find in high grade or not, they will not get respected, simply because there are so many of them. Just one man's opinion.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    Playball- I know how you feel. My modern "Money pit" is the 89 Score Football set. I was originally happy to do the set in PSA 9, but than raised the bar to PSA 10. I'm 5 cards short of that goal. I have a few raw sets that are mint/gem mint also, but I wanted to do this set because I felt it was a landmark set and wanted all the cards in holders for their protection. I will never sell the set and could care less what it's "worth".

The best part of this hobby is that there is so much to choose from. Be it vintage, modern and everything in between in grades that fit anyones budget. Just remember, regardless what we feel these items are worth, they are still only pieces of cardboard.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion