Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Help buying a loupe

So I've reached a point in my collecting where I really need a loupe to improve my grading skills. Is there such a thing as a 'recommended' loupe? What magnification should I use? What magnification do the big name grading services use? Where do I find a list of qualifiers for the highest grades??

Comments

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The pros use a 5x for grading. Whan you purchase one make sure it doesn't distort. My favorite is an old 55mm f1.4 camera lens off my old 35mm camera. I use it backwards and it works great. I don't take it to coins stores or shows, but at home it is all I use! I have a 5x I take along to shows along with a doublet (20x and 30x) for checking close details.

If you have a local dealer, ask what he or she uses. There is a good chance that dealer will sell what they like.

Good luck!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    I use a Zeiss D36. It has two lenses, a 3x and a 6x. The two lenses can be used together to make 9x. Super clarity and sharpness from edge to edge. One of the best German optics companies for decades. I picked mine up on e-bay for about $60. They are cheap but the optics are the best.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also use a Zeiss D36.

But I have also been looking for a similar Eschenbach loupe - some members here prefer those.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    For what you need, a Bausch & Lomb 5X is the ticket - $15 done deal.
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For what you need, a Bausch & Lomb 5X is the ticket - $15 done deal. >>

My exact words, A pretty small investment and a good eye is about all you will need.
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭
    A 5x Eschenbach loupe. There is no substitute. They cost about $60-$70.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.