Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold coins + PVC flips

OK? bad? other?

Comments

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
    At the Registry Lunch last week it was explained why PVC flips can be bad. Occasionally they flips contain impurites that crystalize into a hard material. When you insert the coin into such a flip, the hard material (if it contacts the coin) scratches it. That's why PCGS now provides just the Mylar flips. Based on this, I would not use the PVC flips.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Yeah, I guess I might as well spend 5c and put the raw gold in new flips!
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Something I recently learned at the Registry Luncheon was that David Hall informed us that the 2x2 flips that some of us use to display coins and submit them for grading can cause scratches on them.

This is due to the fact that certain carbon based elements in the make-up of the plastic flips can crystallize and cause scratches on coins when they are slipped in and out of the flips. image
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Reviving an old thread...

Couldn't find anything on verdigris on gold or pvc damage on gold when searching the forums but I got an inexpensive gold coin 1846 $5, NGC 53 lib that I like a lot but it has a couple of small green spots on the field of otherwise very original surfaces. My first reaction to the spots is that they were pvc damage but changed that when I thought they might just be oxidized copper spots since the coin is old and refining was what it was in 1846 in addition to the fact that oxidized copper turns green. Still, in the psyche of collectors in this area, the green spots are indeed a distraction and I'm no exception.

I've been collecting dated gold for a couple of years and find myself lacking in this situation and must appeal to more experienced collectors. So, I'm thinking...what to do? I do like that coin but I've got to get rid of those spots or at least make myself feel better about them. Can you love a wart?

Any ideas on this situation?

Coin ON!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file