Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What can you tell me about Swiss Gold

Several months ago I swapped a triple die kennedy for a coin of the sender's choice and he sent me this beautiful gold coin. I know nothing about it and thought maybe some of you could point me in right direction. The best things about these boards are the willingness of posters to share and send coins to one another like this one. The rascal who sent me this coin was Don Heath. I think he got royally screwed in this swap.

Comments

• Options
    image red x for me. probably my work filter.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    This is the Vreneli design which lasted from 1897 until 1949. The 1915 is slightly the more common of the pre-WWI issues, but valued slightly over strict bullion. This date generally trades in the $85-$95 dollar range but inching higher currently as Gold rises above $400.

These are very common below MS64, where they are still fairly plentiful. Strict PCGS MS65+ are tougher to find, and if you can score truly solid MS66 or better pieces, buy them (if the seller doesn't require some insane price). They may never command much $$, but they're true condition rarities at that level.

BTW, it looks like a nice 64, and I concur on poor Mr. Heath's swap. Does he have cataracts and/or dementia?? image

A side note: the dates 1935, 1947 and 1949 are alleged to have been manufactured from dental gold of exterminated Jews as Hitler laundered funds through the Swiss banks for his lunatic war effort. I didn't read much on the complete findings, but these are sad allegations, if the Swiss bankers were indeed complicit. image

Edited to add: these contain 0.1867 troy oz. of pure gold in accordance with the Latin Union's weights and measures.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mac thanks for the great information. Those Kennedy guys are off kilter anyway. image
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Mac thanks for the great information. Those Kennedy guys are off kilter anyway. image >>

This was probably the '64 issue which is 90% good silver.

There are even maniacs out there that think the Cu/Ni clad is "good as gold". image

But, hay, while the sun shines.

Nice gold piece. Many people avoid the war years because they were made from nazi gold that came from the concentration camps. -to each his own.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    cladking, my teasing was in jest, I collect error coins, i.e. double dates, dies, clashes etc. My collection runs from 1683 through 2004 coinage. image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Mike. Those variety weenies are ripe for the picking image

• Options
    A modern dead President in exchange for a hsitorical piece of early 20th century gold!!!!!!!!! What a deal.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Mike, you're a gentleman. image

All you other guys........well. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Don got anymore gold to trade?

I have a bunch of state quarters I can part with.image
    Bill