Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Breaching The 95% Barrier...

I remember way back when, FB was way atop the 72 leader board and I stunned the world by announcing my quest to complete the set all in PSA 9 and 10. Several times Ive been temped to throw filler 8s in on things where I couldnt find 9s, several on the boards here have even suggested I should do that. But I've stayed the course, this set has remained pure 9s and 10s the whole way through, and I am now over 95%!!!

As I go after this last 5%, I just want to say how much fun this has been. The 72 set was always my favorite as a kid, even though I wasnt born until 73 and didnt collect it growing up. For me as a kid in Cleveland it was pulling '81 Joe Charbeneau rookies out of packs that I remember. But I always lusted after those psychedellic 72s, and I can promise one thing, you'll never see my set up on ebay.

EO

Comments

• Options
    EO,

Have you figured out what your set rating would be if you complete the last 5% with all PSA 9's?

By the way, great accomplishment. I thought a 664 card set was a long climb but I've always been intimidated by the size of the 1972 set. I never ever finished it raw.

Good luck in the home stretch.

ZM
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my quest to complete the set all in PSA 9 and 10 >>

EO - At 95% that is impressive as hell. Good luck on the remaining 5% look foward to seeing it at 100%...jay
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    EO -- Impressive indeed! Fantastic job and it's always nice to read that a collector has no intention of dumping his set once it's complete.
  • Options
    EO- I guess what impressed me the most with your quest is the uncompromising commitment to quality.
    When you started your quest, it sounded highly improbable if not impossible. But the patience and unwavering march to the goal is indeed to be admired. It would have been so easy to "fill in" with some 8's, especially when the buying opportunities got slow. But you held out for what you really wanted.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    Eo,
    Awesome accomplishment. My crystal ball is predicting that you will finish it 100% in the very near future and be the top dog in 72s.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    EO,

Gotta admit... I didn't think that you'd make it this far. I thought for sure you'd run out of steam somewhere between 75% - 90% or that you'd get frustrated and add a few of the tougher cards in PSA 8, but instead you've kept on coming and all in 9 or above. Now... I have no doubt that you'll make it.

Personally, I think that it will be late 2005 to early 2006 before you see all the rest of the cards that you need in either PSA 9 or PSA 10. Thats nothing against your effort - its just a question of these last cards becoming available. I know what a bear it was finishing in PSA 8. Those last 8 cards took 4 months. In PSA 9 or 10 - those last 8 cards could take a year.

Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Do we have a new entrant into the 72 fray? Who is bnovik, the guy outbid me on a few things tonite...never seen his name before.

EO
  • Options
    bill novick has been very aggressive for PSA 10's and some 9 's lately, a while back it appeared he was giving up on the set ....he seems to back with a vengeance.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Well, my $150 bid for the Barton IA PSA 9 didn't hold up. It went for $406 in case any of you non-'72 collectors were wondering.
  • Options
    the 150 wouldn't have won the barton in action in psa 8. brad horton beat me at over 165.00...but i did win a jones ia for less than i expected.
    some of those psa 9's went for suprising amounts...i had my eye on the 72 murcer in psa 9 and was blown away when i saw the final price.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Bnovick is Bill Novick,

He's decided to build a high end 72 set as of a couple of months ago. He's beaten me on most of the PSA 10's recently and I've decided to let him. Last thing I need is a bunch of over priced cards - especially when I've seen other guys do the same thing, only to lose interest or look at the damage done to their bank account and realize that they're only at 30%.

For the near future - he's going to be very ough. He's spending big and isn't afraid to throw $400 - $500 on low pop PSA 9's and more than that on PSA 10's.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    It's a good thing, healthy to have new big fish come in for the 72s...I'm counting on more like him to keep the market vibrant once I'm @ 100%!!!

EO
  • Options
    EO- is the journey over for you when you reach 100%?
  • Options
    Yup...at this point the thought of upgrading 9s to 10s just makes me sick to my stomach. I cant even tell the difference between the two lol...my goal was to put together a set in all 9s and 10s and be the first one to do it, after that I move on to something else, at least thats how I feel about it right now.

EO
  • Options
    The only other set ever made that comes close to the 72s is the 75s, I love the colors...perhaps I'll go that route next, though I think I may take a break first while continuing to focus on my rookie card collection.

EO