Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pretty Half Penny

I should crack this out of the slab for a better capture of the color (NGC MS64BN).

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Definitely!!

I know the color, and it's a winner. Shooting through that plastic on copper is a bear, eh?

That piece also has a fairly nice strike, too. image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't,,,the fear of damage when breaking it out would prevent me. Crackig plastic will and can cut into the surface leaving a fresh copper gouge no matter how careful you are at breaking it.
  • Options
    Those NGC slabs are like removing candy from a wrapper.....piece of cake. I use a bench vise, and it always works perfectly. Of course, it is was a five figure plus coin I'd use a scroll saw.
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Loverly
    The colors look fantasticimage
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Shooting through that plastic on copper is a bear, eh?

It's like shooting through a pair of goggles! The obverse on this one even has wavey lines of distortion running through it. They must save their finer blend of plastic for expensive coins.

Advice well taken Boz11, but considering the value of the coin I'll take a chance with this one. Maybe I'll post an "after" image this weekend. If it has a fresh gash in it I'll hear your chuckles through cyberspace image
  • Options
    Paul nice coin I see you are really hitting the dark side copper.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    Very pretty coin, shylock!image

• Options
    Paul nice coin I see you are really hitting the dark side copper.

I've been lurking here a long time and finally caved in this summer Bill. Besides the great designs you and the other darksiders post:

1. prices are reasonable (a bigger issue with me these days)
    2. certification isn't an obssession
    3. coppers come BIG!
    4. the forum is civil
    5. I know nothing about them so it's new territory to explore

The only bad thing I can say about you guys & gals is you protect your sources the way a mother bear protects her cub!
  • Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    If there are any Canadian coin sources I can help you with, I'd be glad to, shylock image

• Options
    Thank you Luvs -- you really are the Princess of the North!
  • Options

<< <i>The only bad thing I can say about you guys & gals is you protect your sources the way a mother bear protects her cub! >>

British copper, bronze, silver and gold (milled).

1. Bruce Lorich - web
    Best personal touch in the business....send him an email.

2. Northeast Numismatics aka NEN - web

3. Aspen Park - web

Also, many auctions possibilities across the pond.

Switzerland (Confederation)?

....smoe guy named MacCrimmon!! imageimage

If it's MS/SP66 or better, I'll buy/sell it......

imageimage
    this one is on it's way back from PCGS - my first MS67 Swiss copper.....image

Why do I think smoe guy named shylock would love this one?? Welcome. BTW, these Swiss 1 rappen bronzes are a few mm smaller than the IHC. For reference, the 2 rappens are the same size as IHC.

However, if you want 'big copper' look to Great Brit. (especially George III through Victorian pennys [1860] ) and France.

Cheers!
  • Options
    I bet it looks great in person. image That one was almost mine. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Spinaker - I had a feeling at least one member here was bidding on that image

MacCrimmon - thanks once again for the great info. The color and luster of that 1917 rappen is incredible!
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Paul you are way too fussy, I can't imagine improving on those photos. Beautiful coin.