Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Check this bargain out!

Link

It takes 6 of them for me to make that kinda $ Nice haul!

Comments

• still amazes me people buy coins without pictures.

no offense Mitch.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JB: No offense taken.

Mark: You need to spend more time keeping up with prices, both up and down image Yes, moderns do not just go down in price, as in the case of this 96 WEST POINT Roosie. This coin was a sub-$200 coin in MS68FB top pop grade at the beginning of this year. Not any more.

If any board members are interested in 96W dimes in high grade just PM me.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    I like it. I'm gonna hit the Clad Roosies again. Prices are definitely on the rise over the last several weeks.
    "I like it. I'm gonna hit the Clad Roosies again. Prices are definitely on the rise over the last several weeks."

Mark: Yes, they are. You see - generally around here you only hear about the moderns that are dropping in price. In fact, when I even mention certain "cool" moderns that are seeing year after year price appreciation, I generally get at least -1- email telling me (nicely) to "shut up" image

On a separate, but related topic - I am proud to say my $5 MS Modern Gold Commem collection I am putting together with Justin is now in the top 10! We are having a great "father-son" time putting the collection together (and this 12 year old kid is working - he screened 2,000 coins on Tuesday to get them down to 75 submittable coins and I could only find fault with less than 5 of the screened coins!!). But, do you know what the Jackie Robinson $5 Gold Commem just cost me to fill that hole in MS69 (NOT MS70, BUT MS69!!)? $2,300.00 and that was WHOLESALE!!! Yes, an $1,100 retail coin a year or so ago and now around $2,500+ retail. Which classic Silver Commem rose more than 100%+ on the Blue Sheet in the past year again? Morgan Dollar? I can tell you that most of my 19th century finest known nickel patterns have seen far less appreciation this year based upon what I have been buying this year.

Mark - even a skilled veteran like yourself can be caught by surprise by the RISING modern market at times, especially when no one is generally talking about the "good ones". image

Wondercoin

P.S. You may have seen the Washington pattern Nickel I bought in Pittsburgh for under $5,000 when I posted a scan last week. The finest Pop 1/0 specimen from perhaps a few dozen total specimens struck in 1866!! With a RAYS nickel reverse as well!! And, now worth just (2) Jackie Robinson $5 Gold Commems!! I'll tell you right now IMHO the 1866 Wash nickel should be worth a heck of a lot more than (2) J. Robinson MS69 coins!! But, it is not - a crazy little thing called "demand".

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Mark: An interesting question is always why coins sell for what they sell for. In the case of the 96W dime - besides being a highly popular WEST POINT dime, the coin is required in the 20th century Collectors Mint set Registry. There is no question in my mind that coins such as Accented hair Kennedy half dollars, 73(p) Ikes, etc. have benefitted from being required coins in popular registry sets.

Some other pop 1 or 2 clad Roosie may enjoy far less DEMAND than a West Point dime and, hence, be worth less, even with a significantly lower pop.

And, then there is my 1866 Washington Pattern nickel with about 2-3 dozen coins struck in 1866 and pop 1 and worth about (2) J. Robinson $5 Gold Commems in MS69!! Sometimes, it "just aint fair"!! image

Wondercoin

• Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Boys theres another 96W MS68FB on ebay bringing close to $1000. last time I looked. Ifollowed it's first listing when it had a starting price of just under $1000.. no bids. He came back with a lower starting price, and added a 96 mint set as a bonus. Now he's got several bidders going at it. You just neve know what bidders will do from week to week.
    Dan
    "Boys theres another 96W MS68FB on ebay bringing close to $1000"

I also just put up another one with BIN at $800 delivered.

I also have one of the MS69 coins I haven't decided what to do with just yet. I better double check the bands - don't you think image

Wondercoin
    If you are talking MS69 West Point, by all means check dem banders image
    Dan
    Those babies are appreciating before our very eyes. i just ordered my stash-o-1000 so I can get it on the huge price increases. i bet by the time I get mine graded they go for over $1,000 in 8FB at this rate.
    Geezzzz And I've piddled arround and not gotten my 68FB yet. WOE IS ME.. D&T I may be your bidder...AGAIN image:
    Dan
  • Dang this 96-W dime, I started looking for one last Winter, and wasn't around at the appropriate times to snipe one when about 12-15 67FB were sold in December and January for ~$45-$70. I was trying to hold out for a 68FB anyway, so didn't mind that much, except a 68FB never did show up. This Spring and Summer I got outsniped on only about 5 67FB that I saw, highest bid I remember was about $80, haven't seen a single 68FB listed spring or summer (i could easily have missed it though). This was all until just a couple weeks ago, when someone listed both a 67FB and a 68FB, and the 68FB price went through the roof, and apparently attracted other bidders to the 67FB which went for over $250. Since then 2 other 67FB have gone for crazy high prices, and the 68FB are wicked spendy compared to last Winter. I'm just so confused as to how the prices for this dime have tripled or more in 6 months.

Sure makes me wish I'd have gotten lucky and found a 68FB last winter for $200, sure looks like that would've been a great purchase. Anyone willing to sell me one last Winter?
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
    "Sure makes me wish I'd have gotten lucky and found a 68FB last winter for $200, sure looks like that would've been a great purchase. Anyone willing to sell me one last Winter?"

No - but, I did try to price the 67FB well under current ebay levels. Even less for board members who PM me image

67FB

Wondercoin
  • I got an MS 68 that was graded before the FB desigantion was given out. This coin should go FB no problem. What do you think? Anyone care to make an offer?

Bill

09/07/2006
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Less then 4 Months ago I sold my 96W 68FB for $125. I only paid $100 for it when I bought it.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Cosmic, I see a bridge on the left side of the lower band. If the pic is correct it
    will not FB.
  • Here's a close up

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Here's a normal size image. Sometimes bigger images distort things

Bill

09/07/2006
    Nick's probably right, they are real stingy on the FB and from vast experience, it does not appear to go through on the left but good luck. By the time you'd get it designated it will be back down below $200 more than likely. I've had several ms67 FB's up the past weeks and months that are several times more difficult than a 96-w in 7fb and they closed below $150, whiuch is not worth it for me from a business standpoint. glad to get some people nice coins at a good price but for the $, it's not worth searching for them at those levels as clads FB's are not easy for any date.
  • It's tough to get a good image on this one for some reason. I keep getting shadows or light that is filling that corner.
    Bill

09/07/2006
    Now that takes the cake. isn't that the same guy that won Mitch's Illinois D in 8 original world series auction that was run through here and the coin sold for $1,300 plus?
  • I guess this one was well bought, then. Even if it is in an NGC holder.

Don'tcha just hate me. Top pop. 1 of 14 in an NGC slab.

Cosmicdebris,

Sorry, but the split in the lower band is not complete. The left side is squished together. I don't think any kind of adjustment to your scanner is going to fix that. Check it with a loupe, but I think it is definitely bridged.
  • Once last image try

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Yeah, that image looks a lot cleaner. It's got potential. Just don't crack it out, send in the whole slab. If it doesn't get a higher grade, they'll reslab it with the same tag. If you crack it, it might come back lower, and lower grades make baby Jesus cry. image