Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

This is how people ruin their reputation

I was going to bid on this item so I checked the seller's other auctions to see if I can pick up some more GPK boxes. I noticed that he is selling those crap 1954 Sports Illustrated cutouts graded by somebody for outrageous prices. The only purpose of that is to defraud novice collectors. The person that cut these out also went so far as to make the top border small to replicate real 1954's. So the 3 bids that I would have placed on his 3 boxes (and I would have bid to win), I chose not to because (A) they might be tampered with since I already know he is trying to rip people off and (B) I don't want to help keep him in business. His feedback is incredible so I don't understand why he would tarnish his reputation. Not much discussion here, just sharing my humble opinion.

Comments

• Options
    It's pretty clear in the auction description what they are:

1954 TOPPS SPORTS ILLUSTRATED - CUT FROM THE ORIGINAL PRINTS THAT WERE INSERTED INTO THE FIRST ISSUE OF SPORTS ILLUSTRATED AUGUST 16, 1954

I've seen these items sold by some much more shadier characters who do everything they can to disguise what these are. He even adds SI in the title. Sorry but I don't think he's doing anything wrong here.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    If he wasn't trying to rip off somebody that doesn't know any better, then he would start them at 99 cents and let the market dictate their values. It's clear what kind of character this person has. Novice's getting scammed is not good for the card market. But, I didn't intend an argument on here, so your welcome to deal with anybody you choose. I'm just calling a crook a crook.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<1954 TOPPS SPORTS ILLUSTRATED - CUT FROM THE ORIGINAL PRINTS THAT WERE INSERTED INTO THE FIRST ISSUE OF SPORTS ILLUSTRATED AUGUST 16, 1954>>

So what if he made the description "clear." That is like trying to sell worthless swampland and making the description "clear."
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So what if he made the description "clear." That is like trying to sell worthless swampland and making the description "clear." >>

uhhh.. yep.. exactly.. and there is nothing wrong with selling swampland if you make the description "clear"..

if somebody buys that swampland after a clear description, well.. they bought it..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    The seller is letting the market dictate what the card(s) are worth. If the market does not think the cards are worth his/her minimum bid then there will be no bids.
    The description seems accurate, I see no issues.
    Kosmo
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    personnally I think it is sad becasue I would like to have always wanted to have one of those SI issues , although I never really persued it and this "grading" company is cutting them up and ruining a pretty cool collectible