Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Topps Baseball – Full Circle in 35 Years – PSA Complete 8/26/04

1969 Topps – Full Circle in 35 Years – PSA Complete 8/26/04

For years I have been thinking about this day. Complete; it’s a pretty powerful word. When all my mail arrives in the next week or so I will have the four remaining cards I need to officially take my 1969 Topps PSA Baseball Basic Set to 100% on the PSA Registry. I really feel a bit uncomfortable with any accolades for this effort because honestly it is all of you out there who have made this possible. Without the Registry or the warm comradery from the community of collectors I am privileged to call my friends I probably wouldn’t have advanced my PSA graded efforts to this point. But all of you have made this so much fun; and as I say in my set write-up and have said many times before in posts on our Message Boards; … it’s all about the fun.
Get a sandwich and a tall glass of iced tea if your gonna read further :-)
In the last couple of weeks I decided that I would tell the complete story of this long strange trip and proactively thank all those that have made it so awe inspiring. Forgive me for taking up so much space, but as they say, you only get to do this once :-)

In the Spring of 1969 in Lyndhurst, NJ, I would jump on my bike, ride up the hill to the corner store with my quarter allowance, and spend the whole thing on those shiny blue wax packs of Topps Baseball cards. At a nickel a pack I could buy 5 packs; come away with a whole stack of cards and enough gum to make my jaws ache….
Fast-forward….1998….I bought my first PSA 8 1969 Topps card at The East Coast Nationals in White Plains, NY. #564 Gil Hodges, the Manager of my beloved Mets in that Amazin’ year.
I discovered also, eBay in June of 1998, looking for those last couple of raw cards to complete my childhood set. I still have this set today, the set my Mom squirreled away for me, at age 13 in 1972 after I thought I was “too cool” to collect baseball cards any longer. eBay, after all was “the reason” to use the internet in my mind. A 24 hour card show with hundreds of opportunities to get just the cards you needed to complete a dream. While searching those first couple of months I kept bumping into the moniker PSA and mention of graded cards. My childhood obsession with baseball cards manifested itself once more. The PSA 1969 Topps Baseball collector was born!
Around the time I bought that Hodges, I also got my first PSA Collector Club Membership. I took the best of star cards from my childhood set and sent those 4 to be graded with my free submissions. My Reggie Jackson RC and my Willie Mays in PSA 7 still resides in my PSA registered set from that original batch of 69’ cards I bought from that corner store with my quarter allowance, and submitted with that original membership.
If memory serves (and it sometimes fails me now) it was early in 1999 that I first discovered the PSA Registry. At that time it was more like a HOF for Vintage Legend Collectors. There were only a few sets listed. I was happy to find the 1969 Topps set on the registry, however. In that early going John Constantino and myself were the only ones listed there with our measly couple of pct. complete. But it seemed fun. As a kid I would cut out box scores from the newspaper, work batting averages on my slide rule, and play hundred upon hundreds of games of Strat-oMatic, living and reliving the action and events of the day. The Registry gave the adult spreadsheet and baseball statistics freak a new outlet; that included his beloved 69’s!
The explosive acceptance and popularity of PSA, the Registry and the Message Boards made this a full time passion for me and thousands of others. The 69’ Registry began to grow. Enter Bob Cacamese (Gaspipe). Bob was practically born on the cutting room floor at the Topps factory, and quite nearly lived out of their dumpsters throughout childhood :-) Seriously, Bob rewrote the book on 69’ collecting. His unlikely access to unopened raw material from this year was and continues to be the source for some of the greatest 69’s to be entombed in plastic by PSA. Happily, Bob was instrumental early on in bumping me along this set building highway with some outstanding product including some nice and tough White letter variations. Bob’s knowledge of this set is second to none. He was the first to sell at a major auction his #1 ranked set, about 80% complete 69’ Topps set at the time, and prove that these cardboard sets we own carry value as well as memories. Bob, my thanks go out to you.

The history of who was at what point when, in the 69’ registry, from there on out is not of much importance to me. Yes, I always wanted to be near the top of the list. But realistically, a guy with limited funds has, well, limitations. So I have assumed the role of the turtle; slow and steady. Trying (and not always succeeding) to spend within my means. If I had to break it down I would state, about 30% of my set is self graded. About 40% has come from eBay over the last 7 years. Another 20% from miscellaneous auctions and website and private purchases. It’s that last 10% that I enjoyed the most; the trades. Trading cards with no cash outlay still reaps the same simple satisfaction and glee it did when we sat on the front porch as kids going through each others cards repeating that mantra: got’em, got’em, need’em, need’em, got’em, and a deal was born.
I want to level some thanks on some dear comrades, some are 69’ collectors themselves and others are just part of this great supply chain in our great hobby community. In no particular order here goes.

Steve Pekovich – Early on, I overextended just a bit to take advantage of some great bulk deals on nice PSA 8 69’ Topps cards from Steve at very fair prices. Steve was a great source and a nice guy. He is probably responsible for perhaps 7-10% of my set. Thank you Steve.

Ron Hobbs (Twinron) – New Patriarch of the 69 set, Ron got in the game acquiring Bob C.’s set and has never looked back. His energy, support, and tireless good will have been a great asset to the 69’ group as a whole. Ron is also an advocate for the set. He is constantly on PSA to “get it right” as far as the POP report and the treatment and corrective actions needed on the cataloging of those dreaded variations. Ron is a friend to all collectors and I am glad to call him mine. At the 2003 Nationals in AC Ron helped my set along big time as I was able to add around 5% in PSA 8 all in one shot when I was already at 80% complete. He recently provided 20 more cards to get me from 95 to 98 %. And he does this in the spirit of good will, as he enjoys other collectors achieving their dreams as much or more than his own. Thank you Ron.

Dave Jacobs (Stump) – Was a man on a mission. Dave had one awesome 69’ set, components of which are now nicely spread around the registry members sets. A few years ago one would have thought his grade level effort impossible. Dave is the classic example of a helping hand. Dozens of collectors have been the beneficiary of a kind Stump gesture. Dave is responsible for my Carlton (a beauty) and a number of tough commons as well. Thank you Dave. Hope to see you back in soon.

Dan Markel (Dude)– Gentlemanly, professional, and caring. Need I say more. Dan is the collectors friend as well. Very discriminating about what goes in his sets, his 69’ effort is classic perfection. It was great to sit with you at the Gaspipe Collectors “Summit” Dinner at the 03’ Nationals. Thank you Dan for all your help.

Ron Sanders (Mitochondia) - Caring words. Something you always get from Ron. Yet another incredibly knowledgeable and discriminating 69’ collector. Every collector should admire and aspire to have the type of quality cardboard displayed in Ron’s set. Great to meet with you in AC 03’. Special thanks.

John Constantino (Gemint) – John was the first to vault to the top and keeps going. Well heeled in 69’s, John shares widely with the community of collectors through our Message Boards. I’m happy you’ve stayed with it all these years. Thanks John for throwing down a shadow as we scaled the mountain along the way together.

Jeff Gobin – New energy. Was this guy even born in 1969? I met Jeff at the 2003 Nationals as well. Pointed him in the direction of Ron Hobbs and the rest is history. Jeff has quietly acquired the makings of an outstanding set by patiently grading quality raw examples as well. It was great to spend time with you also at the Boston show. Thanks again for those couple of “bricks” for my set Jeff.

Larry Emard (KingKellogg) – Every list will include him J. Bert Campeneris AS. Larry, you may or may not remember that one but I do. Showed up in my mailbox; gratis. Just a nice gift from the King’s vault. Just the type of guy he is. And he helps everyone that way. A pleasure to know you and I hope we can spend some more quality Show time in the future. Thank you Larry.

Douglas Strong- Doug no longer resides on the 69’ registry but this guy is a gem. A few years back I got an email from Doug. He was at around 10 or 15% complete and we discussed ways we might be able to help one another. Needless to say Doug traded some very nice cards (including the PSA 8 Clemente I still have) directly out of his set to help a cardboard brick mason like me. Very unselfish trades at that. I got the feeling that he just wanted to see me succeed. I wont soon forget that generosity and will be eternally grateful. Thank you Doug for helping me along and I hope you are well if your reading this.

Frank Bakka (FB)– Every collector should be Frank Bakka. This guy is honest, fair and thoughtful…and has one hell of a monster 72’ set. I was fortunate enough to meet Frank a couple of years ago and maintain an endearing friendship. Frank has been a long time advocate of PSA and a very active member of the Registry and it’s Message Boards. His advise on the process and nuances of grading are invaluable. Every day you will find him reaching out to collector veterans and newbies alike.
Frank and I transacted to result in the single greatest moment in my 69’ set building process. I’ll try to condense this story. I came into some pretty sweet raw 72’s, submitted them for grading and had most of them come back PSA 9. I, frankly (no pun intended), was in shock. I sat on these for about six weeks half bakedly thinking about building a high grade 72’ set with this kind of start…not!!
Frank and I haggled our way through numerous emails with the net result of many tough 72’ 9’s headed Franks way and quite a few more PSA 8 & 9 69’s became permanent residents in my set including some pretty nice star cards. My greatest appreciation goes out to Frank for making that one work. There are always four or five defining moments on your way to the promised land but this one may have been the biggest and most memorable.

Dave Cryer (vmfa_vet) – Nice Guy and a pleasure to deal with Dave is passionate about collecting, Dave has been at this a very long time but only made the big PSA splash just recently (tidal wave is more like it). Having purchased a couple of strong PSA graded 69’ sets complete or near complete he has added to that composite some incredible high end cards and now stands as the first player to threaten the daunting 9.0 GPA realistically. Thank you Dave for those important 3 of the last 4 cards.

Neal Kane (1420sports) – Thanks for the Mantle. Very sweet PSA 7. I always thought this would end up being my last card that I would need due to the expense of a PSA 8, but Neal’s 7 was about as nice as you’ll find. Check out the scan in my set and you’ll see what I mean.

Michael Flaherty (ZodiacMindWarp) – Part of tomorrows group of 69’ Registry leaders, unprovoked Michael unselfishly provided finder services to me for the last 6-12 months by emailing me to make me aware of auctions or websites where I might find some of the last cards I needed. In character he also yielded on some auction cards he needed because I needed them too. This type of comradery is what makes the Registry great and please know that your kindness, Michael, was noticed and appreciated warmly.

Eric Sanders (EJGuru) – Thank you for sharing your passion for cards with me since we met. Thank you also for your communications with and hobby support for my daughter Janelle and your kindness. The 03’ 1967 Topps cello pack break at the PSA table is among my top ten hobby memories! See you sometime in Vacationland.

ShoelessJoesSportsCards – Special mention, not just because I won a few auctions over the years to fill spots in this set, but Tim at Shoeless helped me today to fill the biggest spot of all, my final card. Gracious thanks for #250 Frank Robinson!

Neil Downey (nbdowney) – My best friend, inside this hobby and out. Everyone needs that one card collecting buddy they can call any hour of the day to bounce stuff off. Neil is that guy for me. Neil and I have talked 10’s of thousands of hours of cards in the last 7 years. These conversations kept the gas in the tank through those lonely times when you feel like you’ll never get there; through 25%, through 50%,75,80,85,90,95,6,7,8,9%. Neil, himself, made the Promised Land collecting the big magilla; the 1972 Topps set in PSA 8; 787 cards worth of outstanding. His beautiful newborn 56’Topps set is already nearing completion with expedient use of those 72’ proceeds. This is one guy who truly loves his cards and loves the process. My deepest heartfelt appreciation.

Many thanks to some first rate dealer friends who have helped in my climb to completion. Special thanks to Polgrounds, Bob @ Ninth Inning, Jay @ Quality Cards, Shoeless, Kurtz Kards, Teletrade (Got a few nice PSA 8 20 card lots early on there)and many others I know and apologize in advance for omitting.

Thanks also to Virtualizard. Best of luck on that great T-218 set. Wrapping up the financing of these last few cards in my 69’ set by selling those hopefully furthers your efforts and starts those of Jay(Quality) and Brian(Scottsdale) who took the rest.

Last but not least a kind thanks to the administrators and hardworking staff at PSA who have made the Registry possible and continue to further it’s success. Especially deserving are BJ, Gayle, and Cosetta for their tireless work promoting this and dealing with this jolly gang of collecting eccentrics.

In 1987 I ran and finished the New York City marathon and today count that as my single greatest physical achievement. The parallels between that and the almost seven years it took me to complete my 69’ PSA graded set are quite similar. The little dance of elation I did after I put the phone down this morning after completing my phone call with Shoeless to acquire the Frank Robinson was very reminiscent of crossing the finish line that November morning in 1987.
Being complete now is sort of otherworldly. Is that a word? I am also kind of glad that my set is not straight 8. It gives me a chance to continue to play around, upgrade some of my lower grade place holders and continue this journey if that is what I choose.
I have begun, as well, laying the groundwork for a 1951 Bowman Mid Grade PSA set with the help of a recently found, warm and gracious friend. Collecting something that can be truly defined as “historic” is the motivation for this choice as well as some newfound comradery. I am sure that this effort will carry me into the twilight of my years and provide many moments of future enjoyment.
If you’ve made it this far, thank you. I care about you, appreciate what you give back to the hobby and I count you as my friend as well.

RayBShotz
Aka. RayB69Topps; aja4rayb
Ray Boehm

Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• Options
    Ray,

A heartfelt congratulations on reaching the 100% mark! It takes true devotion to the hobby to make the slow climb up the registry ladder as we collectors on limited budgets know very well. I am honored that you saw fit to include me is your list. I have sort of assumed the position of cheerleader for the 1969 registry and I will do whatever I can to assist anyone building the set.

It has been my experience that the 1969 community is a special one, perhaps because the set itself does not command the respect that other sets from the 60s do. You are a class act and I wish you the best as you begin your new endeavor.

Best wishes,
    Michael
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Hi Ray,
    Your post really captures a lot about what this hobby is all about. Your pride of accomplishment just jumps off the screen. Congratulations on such an amazing milestone.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    CuseSteveCuseSteve Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Ray,

Great post.....congrats!!
    Always looking for signed Cowboys items from the 'Landry years'
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Ray,

Congratulations for a job well done and and thank you for the kind words. Also congratulations for the incredible story behind the set. It captures the true essence of what collecting is all about. I'm glad we had the pleasure of meeting in Atlantic City last year, and you certainly have as much passion and enthusiasm for this hobby as anyone I've ever met.
  • Options
    Ray

It would take me as long to type your thread as it took me to complete my 69 Topps set. Seriously, Ray CONGRATULATIONS. I have to say that in my opinion you are the PSA Registry's 1969 Topps NUMBER ONE COLLECTOR.

I would also say that that distinction is more significant than throwing fairly large amounts of $$$$$$ to achieve SET REGISTRY rankings.

You are truly a great ambassador to the hobby, and I am proud to know you. Ron Hobbs

TWINRON
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Ray ! image That is a great accomplishment and such a great post to cap it off.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Ray

I have not posted here for some time but I read the posts daily and I want to commend you on a job well done. You did it with class and persistance. You are truly a class act and I am thrilled you finished.
    Congrats!!!!!!

Daveimage
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    RAY - Great achievement, congrats!
    Hope you have as much fun and passion on your newest venture, the '51 Bowman set...jay
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Ray,

Congratulations on 100%!

Also, excellent story on the history of your set. It's always great when a true collector reaches the finish line. Here's hoping your days of upgrading are as happy and fulfilling!

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Congratulations...but the journey never ends, now u can begin upgrading to 9s and 10s! EO
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the set Ray! Great story too. You are a pleasure to deal with and thanks for your help on some of the cards I needed too.

Good luck on the next one!
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Hey Ray, I have always felt the same way about your sets as I do my own. To be able to share all of your victories has been as much fun to me as sharing mine with you. Over the years we have discovered many things in common from our childhoods to manhood. Perhaps we were brothers in another life? In any case, it is an honor to have been named along with such hobby greats as those others that have helped you with your set. Many have said that it's the journey that holds the glory, not the finishing. It was an incredible thrill for me to share these moments with you. I look forward to sharing many more over our collecting lifes. Although it is much easier to just throw bags of money on the table to get your cards, there is something to be said for the little guy who pounds out the cards one by one on a budget such as we do. If I can take a line from one of my favorite baseball movies "It's the hard that makes it great". You set is a "great" set. Your friend always, Neil
  • Options
    i love hearing stuff like this, it always reminds me why i'm here. great stuff. congrats on the set.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Ray,
    I'm very happy for you. I've been watching your set, waiting as you closed in. I just hope I dont crack and finally finish it myself. Its the third time I've been over the 70% mark. 107 more to go.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Ray! Your persistance is commendable. You've built the set on your own terms, resisting the common urge to pay obscene amount and enjoyed every moment of it. It's been a pleasure watching your set grow over time. I hope you enjoy your set after completion as much as you have while building it.

Good luck with your new endeavor.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    what a great post!

congrats on finally finishing your set. must be a wonderful feeling.

top 4 of all time!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Ray--

Congrats on that monster! I have but a faint idea of what of a beast '69 is. If we don't touch base this Fall, I've committed to Thanksgiving in Porter--Lobsters over Turkey ANYDAY! The kind words are appreciated, but YOUR enthusiasm for this is like a bottomless- well. I've had a few bouts that shook my faith in a few fellow collectors, but the good FAR outweigh the bad (as your post attests)! See you soon...

"...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    Ray,

It was great talking with you Tuesday and such a wonderful accomplishment and contribution to collecting...kudos all around.

Dave C.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    ray

great story. you sound like me!!!! i was the same way in 1973. going to the ben franklin (not an easy task whe you live 10 miles away from the nearest store....."dad can we go" was something my dad hated hearing!!) opening those packs and trying to figure out how to pronounce rogelio morett and some guy named guerrero on the red sox!!

i am now trying to put a set of those same 73's in psa 8 together knowing full well it will probably take me as long or longer than you to do this as i am also on a tight budget!!! your story has given me the push to keep going! thanks for a great story!! i would love to meet you and the rest of the psa board members in chicago next year.

andrew
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Thank You Ray for sharing such a wonderful story with us. Congratulations on your wonderful set....and best of luck with you future hobby endeavors. One of the best posts I've ever read on these boards.

John
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    TERRIFIC ACCOMPLISHMENT Ray ! I don't think you would have appreciated your completing this set if it had only taken you a year or two complete ! The thrill of Victory is much sweeter for those that take the long road instead of the shortcuts ! ............Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Ray - what a set - best wishes to you and congratulations on an amazing accomplishment.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Simply put: awesome!
  • Options
    TTT
    TWINRON
  • Options
    Ray,

It is refreshing to read such an enthusiastic post such as this. Congratulations on completing this leg of the long journey with the '69 set. I'm glad to have helped in a small way! image

Thanks again.

JEB.
  • Options
    Nice post Ray. Fun to read and kind of inspiring. I've just started this year on a couple of sets in the Registry and I'm glad to see others as cranked up about it as I am. I've done a few of those marathons too though and after each I was just glad they were over, hope finishing a set has a different feeling......
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Great job Ray!

You must have been working on that article since you hit 75%!!!!

Its great to see a good guy gut it out and continue on a set for years - through high prices and low and continue to beat the bushes until his journey was complete.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Ray,

Congratulations on completing the greatest Topps set in the world; 1969!!! Your patience has really paid off and you have struck a nice balance between quality and cost. The wonderful aspect of this set is that you are never really complete. There is always some "tilt" that could be improved upon. Great Job.

Sincerely,

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    Wow. Thank you to all for the amazingly kind words.
    My Basic set has now updated and is officially 100% complete (3 cards shy on the Master). I am still sort of flabbergasted! As I reached each milestone and stepped off the next 5% threshhold there was an incredible feeling of excitement and anticipation of what it would take and how I would feel when the next milestone was reached.
    Reaching 100% is an eerie feeling. This has been my only real set effort until now and there were times I thought 100% a pipe dream. Can't say it has really sunk in just yet.
    I have a running start on what I hope will be a PSA 6/7 1951 Bowman Baseball set. I have a passing interest in 1950, 53, 55 Bowman now as well. I will continue to peck away at upgrading my 69' set when I can and go back to being a "brick mason" (my term for collecting cards brick by brick) as I slowly pursue these historic Bowman ventures.
    It has been a wild and wonderful ride and I look forward to staying in contact with my 69' set comrades as well as the rest of our great community here on the Boards.
    Thanks again.
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Ray,

Congrats. Now stay the hell out of my '50 Bowman set lol!! image
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • Options
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    Loved the story because it brought back my own memories of the 5 cent pack of cards( ok i admit i'm in my 50's). What you said is THE reason I collect and post my cards on the registry. Don't you dare ask for forgiveness for the length, any shorter would not have been justice. Thank you!