Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Great Introductory Reference on Medals

Mark Jones' The Art of the Medal is a great introductory reference on the history of the medal up through the late 1970s. He's one of the most well-known experts on the subject of medals. If you're interested in learning more about the history of art and commemorative medals, this is perhaps the best place to begin.
Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mark (although I'm not sure I want to try to get one from Australia).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    "(although I'm not sure I want to try to get one from Australia)."

These books are far and few between. It took me forever to get a copy so don't hesitate just because it's coming all the way from down under...
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why more coin collectors don't buy medals also. All the things we like about coins are present in medals and more so:
    the beautiful designs, the larger diameters and raised reliefs, the precious metals and alloys, the historical significance, values based on condition, age, and rarity... hell, they even look alike.

If conders and tokens, why not medals?image

If you don't own a really nice medal, heck, go out and acquire one-you may find them a wonderful compliment to what you already collect.

Now, by example, I don't own this piece but would really like to; I leave you its image.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Depending on what he wants for shipping I maybe sniping at the end of this one.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>I can't understand why more coin collectors don't buy medals also. >>

Simple: No Red Books and no Grey Sheets ... and, for the Liteside especially, they're not easily slabbed -- nor any reasonable chance of a Registry Set.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image