Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

2001 Buffalo Dollar Proof & Uncirc. - submit or not?

I am mainly a Lincoln Cent collector but I have always kept up with my annual proof sets, mint sets, silver eagles and every once in a while commem. proof issues. Several years ago I picked up a 2001 Buffalo Two Coin Set (proof & uncirc.) from the Mint. The proof is undoubtably the most gorgeous coin I own...bar none. Is it worth submitting this coin and having it slabbed???? I'm not so much worried about the uncir dollar but is there a chance that the proof dollar with deteriorate in it's mint issued holder because it is not sealed air tight??? Can someone give me feedback on this one?????? On the other side of the coin (no pun intended), will the coins be worth any more because they are in a set together??? I just don't want a flawless coin (valued at $180+) to go downhill over the years because I wasn't smart enough to take better care of it.... thanks....

T

P.S. Can you submit the coin to PCGS in it's original holder or does it have to be removed????

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Is it worth submitting this coin and having it slabbed?"

Maybe, but only for the protection which the slab provides. I would just be sure to store it in a cool dry place (even if you get it slabbed).

"Can you submit the coin to PCGS in it's original holder or does it have to be removed?"

You can submit coins in their original mint holders.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Steve does this mean you can submit mint set coins in the mylar if placed inside a PCGS flip?
    Dan
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve does this mean you can submit mint set coins in the mylar if placed inside a PCGS flip? >>

Yes, That usually the way MS set are sent to PCGS