Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Have you ever heard of a submission that was 90% 10s?

Well,I don't know the exact % but just caught wind of a cert # search where the first 90 or so cards are All 10s except one 9.

Take this cert # 81263500, go forward and backward and tell me how many 10s you see.

Comments

• Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    its probably one of 4-sharps, or dsl's submissions
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    There are plenty of modern issues where PSA 9 would be a disappointment and a losing or break-even proposition. If somebody submits a stack of 100 cards from the past 10 years, it wouldn't surprise me at all if nearly all are PSA 10s.
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    What a freaking joke. 20 10s in a row from 1980 topps? Right.
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall someone, maybe Crazy Solomon, saying that on bulk dealer submissions that PSA may group cards together by grade. I didn't go through that many numbers, but it seems like a long string of 10's is followed by a long string of 9's. Maybe this is supposed to be a benefit to the bulk submitters?
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    the guy who was putting the numbers in the database probably just put all the 10's , 9's etc in the same pile to make his job easier... so they most likely were not graded in that order but rather logged into the database in a group fashion.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Is it possible this is part of a large submission and the submitter requested only the cards that grade
    a 10 be encapsulated/graded?

aconte
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Interesting point,Aconte and Call.Honestly I don't know about that,but anything's possible.

I just can't believe my eyes.I didn't go as far as my friend did but he and I were freaking out when he said the first 90 he found 1 9.

Steve,I know that this submitter has a great eye for 10s and every last one that I obtained from them have been top quality,but your 10s were top notch too.

What a Jaw dropper.

• Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I dunno, starting at 81263500 I get 2 or 3 10s, then all 9s for the next 12 numbers. Maybe you hit on a thing in the system where cert numbers are entered and they have a default value of 10, then the real grade is entered.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Later on tonight I'll get the cert # that this discovery begins on.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I thought the cert #'s were assigned in the order of the cards on the submission form, when you look online the cards show up in the lines that you submitted them in , I don't think the person keying them in could jsut changethem to make there job easier. imo
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>I thought the cert #'s were assigned in the order of the cards on the submission form, when you look online the cards show up in the lines that you submitted them in , I don't think the person keying them in could jsut changethem to make there job easier. imo >>

That's what I thought as well. If anything, changing the order of the listings to make it easier would probably make it harder and more confusing as they'd have to break away from the normal grade-label-slab assembly line process.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    Rob:

This is very interesting point you brought up. I expanded your seach and started at cert. 81264100. If you start there and go forward to to 81264222, you will see some amazing (ie. unbelievable) results. There are 123 cards in that block of certs. In those numbers, you will find: 3-1978 Topps, 42-1980 Topps, 14-1981 Topps, 14-1981 Fleer, 48-1983 Topps, 1-1983 Fleer, and 1-1983 OPC. The results of those cards were 121-10's and 2-9's! Absoultely nothing lower! Now I have submitted a TON of cards from those years and the best that I have done is about 25% 10's. This begs the question, what happened? Were the cards that good? Was it due to the nature of the database? Have the standards been changed? What this a grader issue? Interesting.

Frank
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.

<< <i>There are 123 cards in that block of certs. >>

My opinion is this:

These 123 cards represent a larger pool or submission. If not then I would think that someone
    was given some great grades on cards that most would not tell if they would be in 9 or 10
    holders. The only difference would be the cash you could make on these cards in the higher
    holder. The only other thing it could be is something I have not thought of. This includes 123
    cards being submitted by someone and scoring 122 10's based on the fact the cards are that good.

I will add it's all subjective anyhow and people make mistakes. I'd wonder what the odds would
    be that if this group of 123 cards (if it exists - I did not research) were cracked out by me
    and resubmittted and I'd get 50%-75% 10's? My guess is off the charts. Even though grading
    is subjective I seem to have bad luck....

aconte
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    who knows...by simple statistics it just doesnt seem right , so there has to be some other reason.

Aconte makes a good point, maybe they asked for a minimun of 10 or 9 on their cards, maybe they were crossovers and the person had a minimun grade as well.

A few times these kind of things have pop up before and many things have been speculated. thats why now you have to get the zip code to find out a particular order...before you could type in any ramdon # and get to see the whole summision.

i still think the database guy could have simply grouped them into grades vs the order.

I worked for a while in logistics and i was supposed to do things in a particular order by time of arrival, but most of the time i did them by destination instead, simply cause i would rather type the same numbers

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    Although this isn't the best example (since all the cards are the same), here is an example of "grade lumping". Line 1 is for the 5's, Line 2 is for the 6's, etc..., with a couple of hiccups like the 2 9's in the 123 card run of 10's in Frank's example.

This is not my invoice.
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Wow, first off, somebody dropped some serious money on a bunch of crap Jordans. But, to each his own.

As for the never ending string of 10's, there has got to be an answer to that. I've gone through hundreds of thousands of cards in the last couple years searching for gradable ones and I could not have a string of 10's like that, ever, it's impossible. Even the most experienced submitters I know couldn't do that.

Maybe somebody higher up at PSA (Joe?) could let us know if this is a special way that they enter cards in to their database.
  • Options
    Steve,I have to admit that it's possible this guy has taken all of his best cards to submit all at once.He's the type that only submits what he thinks is a 10.I think over time that between the amount he sends in after all this time and the grading room seeing his work,they probably are really more familliar with the cards and their allowances for the assigned grade.

When you were from the original crew who popped quite a few of the first 10s (the Trammel and the Brett come to mind) many of them were the best freakin examples I've seen.Roger's finding the right unopened material I guess and anything I've obtained from him is 95% outstanding and very compairable to the Tam and Brett as super high quality.

I'm sure out of 109 cards with 1 9 and the rest 10s there is plenty to be not in full agreement of the assigned grade but what can you say when a trusted friend brings 250 impressive submission results by cert # to your attention?I did like everyone else and went through about 20 cards,looked on ebay and can't believe my eyes but it's all there 10 after 10 after 10.