Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Chemistry Book

nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
Has anyone purchased it? I saw it in an ad in the latest Numismatist and it sounded interesting. Was curious if anyone has actually looked through it and whether it was useful or not.

Comments

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Ordered it this morning.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    I ordered it a while back and was quite disappointed. There is very little new or current information in the book. It is a compilation of past articles that have appeared in the Gobrecht Journal, Numismatist and Coin World. The articles are simply gathered together and reprinted in this 'book'. I think there is one article in the book that was previously unpublished on electrolytic Cleaning of Toned Silver Coins.

I was hoping to get a more scholarly look at what happens to a coins surface during the toning process. No such luck.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    very disappointing
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭

<< <i> I think there is one article in the book that was previously unpublished on electrolytic Cleaning of Toned Silver Coins. >>

We here at the Toned Coin Collectors Society think it should have remained unpublished! image
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had it about a month - I wish I could return it.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the warning, guys.
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the warning, guys. >>

I too saw this advertised in The Numismatist I received last night. I might have ordered it if reviews here were positive.

The same author's book on Seated Liberty Dollars is the major disappointment of my coin library. So much fun could be had with the subject matter in the hands of a good storyteller/researcher. Even Alan Hager's 1st Morgan and Peace Dollar book and Les/Sue Fox' "Silver Dollar Fortune Telling" are much better reads than Weimar White's Seated Liberty Dollar book. Let's hope he's had more success as a chemist than as a numismatic author.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I ordered it a while back and was quite disappointed. There is very little new or current information in the book. It is a compilation of past articles that have appeared in the Gobrecht Journal, Numismatist and Coin World. The articles are simply gathered together and reprinted in this 'book'. I think there is one article in the book that was previously unpublished on electrolytic Cleaning of Toned Silver Coins.

I was hoping to get a more scholarly look at what happens to a coins surface during the toning process. No such luck.

I agree. I ordered it a while back too, I was also hoping for a more in-depth look at the toning process. The book does, however, make for a fun read especially if you have not previously seen the articles.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump in honor of Weimar White's letter to the editor in the October 2008 Numismatist. I guess he still hates toned coins.

Regarding the "book", I wish I could have the 45 minutes of my life back that I wasted reading it. image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump in honor of Weimar White's letter to the editor in the October 2008 Numismatist. I guess he still hates toned coins.

Regarding the "book", I wish I could have the 45 minutes of my life back that I wasted reading it.

What was the gist of his letter in the Numismatist?

I've got that book - not comprehensive at all and not worth the money.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What was the gist of his letter in the Numismatist?

>>

The old "toning is damage like rust" argument that was rebutted by Sunnywood in This Thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file