Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2004 LaVar Arrington RC?

I opened a pack of 04 Topps draft picks and pulled out a LaVar card that is stamped Rookie Card - does anyone know whether this going to be an uncorrected card?

And on the subject of the draft picks set, I received this Regie Williams auto in the mail - what the heck is he writing?! It looks like the olympic symbols or somethin!
And finally for JoeStalin - I had a few minutes to kill and went to a renovated Target store and much to my surprise there was a box of 04 Heritage on the shelf!

Thanx,
Mike
edit: lost the scans
Mike

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    He only had a few cards in 2001 and none since. The 2001 cards were all technically unlicensed and pulled from production, so one could make an argument that his 2004 cards will be RC's. Certainly it is his first Topps card, which is enough for Topps to stamp it as a rookie card.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>so one could make an argument that his 2004 cards will be RC's >>

Thanx for the info Joe
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    yes the companies have decided to include him as a rookie this year. Its an easy thing to do and they think
    it will sell cards, actually having him sign autographs will sell cards but that costs money, so the companies
    aren't going to do that!

LMK if the Williams is for trade.

Thanks
    Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>LMK if the Williams is for trade. >>

Kevin
    What do ya got on the baseball side of the house? Did you collect the autos from the Bowman heritage at all? And lastly, can you believe I actually found a box of heritage this late in the game? Don't know whether to open it or not - don't need the sp's but could there be an auto...Mays....?
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Ive got plenty of baseball but no bow hertiage autos...actually I think I pulled one of the team topps rookies.
    Nice catch on the heritage. I think you have to open it! LOL

Kevin
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, why didn't manufacturer's have the right to include cards of LaVar from 2001-2003? And also what are the POPs on his 2001 rookies?
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I have a Reggie Williams redemption card that I need to send in, It is just sitting here on my desk. I think Reggie showed up to sign the cards that day with Rickey and Quincey, Which would explain alot.

• Options
    LaVar was too cool to sign an agreement with the NFL, so his cards coudn't be produced..of course the early
    guys like sage and press pass had them and then there were all the oooops, we goofed Arrington cards
    that "accidentially" showed up in packs. There were actually a handful of 2000 Arrington RC's out there. Far
    more rarer was the famous Mike Wiley card from 99 edge...which was passed out to dealers for favors.

I keep reading about how great the redskin d is, but so far they haven't done anything...maybe LaVar will
    kick it into drive!

JS
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    One interesting Arrington card is the UD MVP card that came out in packs but had a rectangle punched out in the center, so you just had a 1/4" "frame" of a card. It sold for $200 or so on release, but calmed down. Personally, I don't get it, but I'm not a raving PSU, Washington, or Arrington fan.
    Example
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Hey Mike, I've got the Olberman auto from Bowman Heritage. The only reason it's cool is because his collection, from what I hear, is spectacular. PM me if you're interested.

-Josh
  • Options
    In my opinion, the best of the "oops" Arrington Rc's was his Ultra RC. Beckett had an article that stated Arrington did not join the players union, thus could not be on any official cards. The cards were pulled early in production, but some did make it out to the hobby in packs.
    JoeStalin- I don't collect Sage or Presspass. Are they officially licensed products? Those companies always gave me the impression that they were on the "fringe" and not real card companies.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    yes both sage and PP are licensed. Im not sure why they get a bad wrap, perhaps it is because they actually
    give us value in our purchases! 5 autos a box instead of 1 that the "real" companies give us. I think
    beckett is taking notice too, they booked these cards very well and hopefully they will keep value.

Kevin
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    Hey Joe,

You're right about the 2000 Arrington's being his first RC's out there, but unfortunately you are wrong again on the Redskins defense not being great this year.

But I'm certain after week one, and the complete and total shut down of the Tampa offense, you will become a true believer too.

You should start picking up some of those Arrington cards now while the prices are still good. You also might want to throw in a few Clinton Portis, Coles, Ramsey, and McCants cards too.

See ya in September!

Mike

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    after playing in the patsiest divison in football I would think you guys could get to the playoffs but obviously
    not. The Spurier era was a joke and dumping the only great playing on your team (Stephen Davis), was
    really a smart move. Alstott and company will be running down the sideline and up the middle all night!

The good news is....you do play the Giants twice a year!

GO BUCS

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Mike, I've got the Olberman auto from Bowman Heritage >>

Envoy
    thanx, but I got it - I'm short a few of the autos - can't find the list - will have to check again - got to say - not a big set to get crazy over tho, especially with football breathing down our back.
    I like the the Topps cardz ok - quality is not bad, lotz a RC's - not in love with the parallels and I am not burning up the world with insertz from the retails - the hobby net 1 auto and 1 gu card.

<< <i>but unfortunately you are wrong again on the Redskins defense not being great this year. >>

Mike
    Actually I look for good things this year with the Redskinz even tho I am a Raider man! Good luck and I'll wait till the real season startz to let it fly.
    Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yes both sage and PP are licensed. Im not sure why they get a bad wrap, perhaps it is because they actually
    give us value in our purchases! 5 autos a box instead of 1 that the "real" companies give us. I think
    beckett is taking notice too, they booked these cards very well and hopefully they will keep value. >>

THANK YOU. Finally somebody said it. I see people saying "Want all XXXXXX cards, but no Sage or Press Pass" all the time. I don't understand it. It's not because they're unlicensed - both products are licensed. It's not because they're in college uniforms - other products (Ultimate Collection anyone?) feature guys in their college unis all the time without backlash. It's not because they feature nobodies - just look at Bowman's Best.

So I'm left puzzling at the bad rap as I try to complete my 2003 Press Pass football master set.

Tabe
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    It's all in the licensing. While they are licensed by some entity, Sage and Press Pass aren't NFL licensed, so they aren't "real" NFL cards, so they draw much less interest. They lack team names (which isn't surprising since they come out within days of the draft), but also established NFL players. Even the deepest NFL rookie set has Michael Vick and Peyton Manning in it. But this just means if you are really into collecting the players and the little NFL shield on the back of the card doesn't mean anything, there are awesome deals to be had that would cost 10 times as much with the shield. It's just that most collectors aren't that pure.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay