Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Jefferson FS set..How difficult?

G’Morning,

I’m wondering if its possible and the best way to go about building a Jefferson Full Step set and the best places to perhaps acquire some of these and if anyone things they can be acquired in nice condition from going to say banks buying rolls to get some of these. Also, what are some good books on grading might be..

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I think you would be going through a lot of rolls from the bank.
    In my experience the bank roll coins aren't all that great, as these are circulation grade strikes, and they are pretty beat up to start with. The rolls I looked at would have coins that maybe qualify for MS60 even AU55 in a lot of cases. I don't think I saw a coin out a roll better than maybe MS60. They coins were all pretty beat up to start with.
    The Uncirculated Mint Sets offer a better chance of getting good unblemished coins, but they can still be pretty rough for some years.
    Plus you have to go through a number of mint sets and cherry pick the better nickles out of the sets.
    Since the FS Full Step impression only occurs when a die is new, then as it strikes coins, after NN number of coins the FS is worn down and goes away; you only get a small number of coins per die that are FS.
    So actually buying a few hundred mint sets and cherry picking them seems to work as you can check out the coins without taking them out of the celophane, then you can sell the sets you don't want off on Ebay. Don't forget to cherry pick the other coins too!
    It seems just buying PCGS slabs with the FS designation from dealers, on Ebay or other sources it probably the most practical though.
  • Definetely makes sens... to Me.. Ive been peeking at rolls of nickels recently and very few have looked good..
    I was thinking about the Proof/Mint set avenue as well.. but like you said.. that is still a great deal of looking
    and hoping... I guess it would be best to do some of that and try to purchase Slabbed/Graded FS Jeffersons..

I was also thinking that FS is definetely a nice way to go. I would certainly never overlook any other coins gleaned
    from good proof/mint sets to keep and if desired.. having those graded to either keep or sell to
    finance other buys..~~~

Thanks...
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if all the FS slabbed nickels come from mint sets, because they use different equipment to produce the coins. They employ higher pressure than the standard equipment, which results in coins with better strikes.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Don't forget to turn the coin around...there's a nice portrait on the other side.image

NICKEL TRIUMPH...