I'm in lust

I could really lose my mind over this one. e-bay auction Bottee medal

imageimage

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice medal. The seller has many nice pieces.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Gorgeous Rooster Headimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    That obverse is great!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Hubba -Hubba!!!!image
    Shep
  • Options
    Cool image I like it !!
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    For some reason, these Gallia medals of Bottée's have a propensity to develop this luscious patina. I highly recommend going for it!image The bidding for a choice example like this can get very spirited. I paid $82 for the one I won last year and prices have been trending higher this year. There is also a silvered bronze example which is less often seen but commands lower prices. Silver is nice, but it lacks the full range of talents that bronze can employ. image

Oh, and the seller, Didier Dahirel, is a très bon ami of mine. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I was already watching that one, here's another nice one:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Is the person whose name is inscribed on the reverse a known or famous artist?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Is the person whose name is inscribed on the reverse a known or famous artist?

I wish I knew-doesn't seem to ring any bells. I'm not convinced every student who graduated got one of these from the Ecole des beaux arts- maybe he was a medal winner and went on to great things...

these Gallia medals of Bottée's have a propensity to develop this luscious patina

And how! I will be a very engaged bidder on this piece, but perhaps not immediately.imageimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    "J. Barbé" doesn't ring a bell with me. Perhaps you were thinking of "Albert Barre," who is indeed famous.

It's interesting to look through an original catalog of one of the engraving houses from this period. There are all kinds of art medals and medals for specific commemorations. However, there are also "stock" award medals. You could even mix and match obverse and reverse dies. This specific medal's reverse is less common. The more usual variety has the cartouche encircled by a wreath of oak and olive leaves and the cartouche inscription is made out to one of the many "Chambres Syndicale" instead of the "École des Beaux-Arts." In fact, the reason this is in my watch list is because I have only the "Chambre Syndicale" type reverse and not the "École des Beaux-Arts."
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image