Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How can this be..Saint Tragedy!!

Dr. PRICE'S collection has been bumped off the alltime 5 best sets...because he was missing 3 coins, one being the 'bogus' Flat Edge High-Relief, which many collectors consider the same coin as the Wire-Edge!...it's terrible, because he had the greatest set of all time, except for the missing 3 coins. His set included many of the best ultra-key Saints ever known, and to view it with the notes of auction prices was the best reference set for all-time Saints! He had a 24-S ms67, 25-S ms68, 26-D ms66, 29 ms66(all after regrades), and I'm sure many others that are NOW "best ever graded"....all David Akers favorite coins, and selected by David for Price. It's an injustice to the BEST.

Does anyone else out there see the inequity of this? I know 3 of the top 5 sets now...they are wonderful sets, but only the #1 set is truly better. It's just a shame. I know some will say that more coins is better, but you just had to see the set to really understand it's significance. HE WAS THE REAL SAINTGURU!!

OH, THE HUMANITY!image

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would have never happened if he hadn't sold his collection. Let that be a lesson to all!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Well all these coins are great.
    It sure is fun to sit back and watch the kings all work towards the #1 set position.
    I always hope I can win the lottery so I could join in myself.
    I love that gold.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    I applaud your appreciationimage...but NOBODY EVER HAD A SET OF SAINTS LIKE DR. PRICE! It was better than Elaisberg's.
  • Options
    There actually is a set that is at least equal to or BETTER than Dr. Price's.

It was assembled a few years ago by Jack Hertzberg for a collector In MI. I believe that set is still intact. I can remember a few years ago when the collector sold his dupes. They were all rare and high grade incredible pieces.

I also believe there is a monster Saint set that was recently completed (or is near completion) out there. I was talking to a guy from Rare Coin Wholesalers at the ANA. He told me the 27D PCGS MS66 (which I sat and drooled over) and the Ultra High relief were part of a major set. I do not believe that set is registered. That 27D is the the real deal to die for!

This is why I don't play in the rat race. But I do like keeping my ear to the ground.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Granted there are a few sets that could rival Price's. I think some are exagerrated, though. Akers constantly refers to a "prominent Eastern collector" who has some of the finest 20th century gold coins in the world, ALL UNSLABBED. In fact he has the ONE Judd1776 that is my sign on logo! That set I know for sure exists, and who KNOWS what kind of grades could be given to them? I too saw the 27-D ms66...funny thing, though, it looks just like a damn 1927, it just has that little "D".image

I guess my point isn't that there are no better sets, although Price's is uncontested to date. It's just a shame to see it de-listed as it was the "benchmark" set.

• Options
    Everyone knows about the set in Conn. w/the Pattern. That IS yet another set!!!

Ask around, there is a major set in MI-should be all OLD PCGS holders by now. Its definately NOT the same guy. I should know, I bought one of his dupes a few years ago for my type set.

There really are a few players in high grade Saints. I didn't ask where the guy who owned the 27D is from (although some people have said FL).

I disagree about delisting Price's set. While his set was great, it was NOT the best. Apparently when the PCGS people constructed the rankings, they didn't know about every one else. Saints are NOT really that rare. There seem to be at least 2-3 examples of all the rarities in high grade.

Mike
  • Options
    I think you overestimate the series. SAINTS

Saints are NOT really that rare.??

If they aren't rare in high grades, what is?? My god, there are 27 coins that have pop's of less than 25 in ms65 or better!! Try to buy a 1908-S ms65 or a 1926-D in ms64...then tell me they aren't rare...and Price had then both 2 grades higher!! We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they aren't rare in high grades, what is??

Just about every 18th and 19th century silver set with the exception of Morgans

My god, there are 27 coins that have pop's of less than 25 in ms65 or better!!

That's rare in comparison to other very popular series, but pretty common in the series a lot of us specialize in. Bullseye has a point there.
  • Options

<< <i>I think you overestimate the series. SAINTS

Saints are NOT really that rare.??

If they aren't rare in high grades, what is?? My god, there are 27 coins that have pop's of less than 25 in ms65 or better!! Try to buy a 1908-S ms65 or a 1926-D in ms64...then tell me they aren't rare...and Price had then both 2 grades higher!! We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. >>

The Saints Are Rare !!
    However, There Are Many People That Collect Them As A Type Coin, In Very High Grades, I Might Add. That Is Why They Are Seldom Available !!!!!
  • Options
    It all depends how the sets are weighted. If the three missing pieces are monsters and others have those coins in very high grades, then it's easy to get bumped. I'm struggling to bring a couple of silver Roosie sets along and finding out that it's harder to advance in the rankings than I thought. Until I get a few more of the key and semi-key dates in top condition, I'll continue to struggle. That's just how it goes.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur. Actually there is no comparison. Just look at the pops. Dated 19th century coinage kicks the heck out of anything in the 20th century. They have to come up with Full Band or Full head or
    full hand or full torch or full that just to get within a factor of 10X.

I looked over a 1914 $2-1/2 Indian recently that was a superb 64.
    Yet I couldn't fathom the $8000 price with pops around 100 total.
    Yet $8000 can buy me a pop 2 to 5 MS64 seated rarity. Popularity means a lot....but there's nothing wrong with real rarity.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well. at least Dr. Price is still up there with his famed barber half set sold in 1998.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!