Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

What has PSA set building taught you?

It taught me to pace myself.I put my blood sweat and tears into going as far as I did on one set,but I think the approach is going to change on the next round.Probably more of a passive approach and probably more than one year so I'm not pigeonholed to a single set.

Comments

• Options
    Among other things, it taught me that the herd mentality is not relegated to only the stock market. Also taught me that those never seen cards will eventually appear.

Also - good will towards men, eat all your food, can't we all get along, ya da, ya da...
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    this week it taught me that a 1965 common card in 8 can go for more then a mantle in the same grade if 2 people want it badly enuff.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    its taught me that pieces of cardboard are more addictive than booze and cigarettes
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also good will towards men, eat all your food, can't we all get along, ya da, ya da... >>

<< <i>this week it taught me that a 1965 common card in 8 can go for more then a mantle in the same grade if 2 people want it badly enuff. >>

<< <i>its taught me that pieces of cardboard are more addictive than booze and cigarettes >>

Yep, yep, and yep, Rob's wisdom and I'm sure oddles to boot.

Here's one..........That someone in Joe O.'s camp should be getting royalities on the brilliant idea of enticing grown men to relive their childhoods by suggesting that grown mens income could be used to indulge the ego inside these grown men to be 'king of the hill' or at least show up on the topo map of the funny world of 'competition'. image

Here's another..........Just by adding hard plastic with little bars and some numbers, a nice clean $75 set can turn into one of several thousand dollars. Of course, when it's time to sell, you may end up closer to the $75 again. image

It's only money.......it's only money..... image

BOTR
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Set building has first taught me: that my money and me are soon parted, to pharaphrase a famous saying.

The costs associated with this pursuit can be great, but of course the fun provided makes up for much of it. As to really being taught, I am sure I am now much more a responsible budget maker when it come to hobby money.

All cards do NOT have to be bought when first needed, we have all seen many " tuff", 1 of 1s, 1 of 2s, Etc., cards go for big money... yet a bit later, many become available at a much less cost

I also learned that there are many more than I assumed, true collectors out there who are, for the most part, quite interesting, helpfull, and reallly dedicated to quality sportscard collecting. The volume of information, suggestions, questions, wit, and so forth, found on this board is proof enough that there are more card addicts than I imagined.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I should've held my 1965 #22 for a couple more years, then sold.
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options

<< <i>this week it taught me that a 1965 common card in 8 can go for more then a mantle in the same grade if 2 people want it badly enuff. >>

...that for the price of a high grade common, you could purchase an entire EX+ raw set.

...that a paid-for subjective opinion slabbing an '80s card "Gem Mint" is worth x times more than me opening a pack and calling it "Gem Mint."

...that if you wait until after other set/players collectors purchase their card, you can get the same one for a fraction of the cost.

...that I'll look back years from now and place the high price I paid for post-war slabbed cards right up their with my investments in 1981 Fleer and 100 card lots of Eric Davis and Joe Carter rookies.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Based on nearly everyone's experience, it has taught me not to play this expensive game. image
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Good thread Rob, I'd have to echo almost each & every sentiment posted above. I've run into the same sort of dilemma that you did as I've built my set a little too fast and now find that I must slow down for a while for several reasons. None of my sets are complete yet but it gives me a chance to really think about how I do finish them.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    PSA set building has taught me that a PSA 7 can look as good as a PSA 8 for 1/3 the price (67 Set), that PSA 5's still have the same color and artwork that PSA 8's do (52 Bowman), that it is okay to be #1 for a long time only to eventually be surpassed (Rose Master), that it is easy to start a collection and then sell, sometimes at a profit (many, many sets that were started and stopped) and basically that this hobby can be quite enjoyable.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    It taught me... That commons are cool too! Like everyone, I collected the stars, now w/ collecting the entire set, there is no junk, every card is needed and appreciated...jay
  • Options
    how much $ i can spend image
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Nice Thread!

It has taught me that if you are on a budget..dont worry.....time is on your side with 99% of the 60's & 70's cards out there...the POPs are only going to go up.

• Options
    Being slightly more serious than my first post, the #1 thing I have learned (largely from watching moreso than doing) is that money is made on the buy side -- not the sell side.

No matter what a collector's intentions, its nearly certain, at some point a card or set will be sold. Considering this fact when one buys is paramount to one's continued enjoyment of the "hobby"...

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Thread!

It has taught me that if you are on a budget..dont worry.....time is on your side with 99% of the 60's & 70's cards out there...the POPs are only going to go up. >>

I really believe that is true (that was the "expensive game" that I won't play) but why am I still reading posts about those in a bidding war for "low pop" commons or just generally paying star-like values for commons?
  • Options
    dp
  • Options

<< <i>I really believe that is true (that was the "expensive game" that I won't play) but why am I still reading posts about those in a bidding war for "low pop" commons or just generally paying star-like values for commons? >>

Steve-

In regards to 60's & 70's issues...in truth...there are only a few cards from each set that command serious bidding wars. When talking about a 600 card set that is a small percentage.
  • Options

<< <i>Being slightly more serious than my first post, the #1 thing I have learned (largely from watching moreso than doing) is that money is made on the buy side -- not the sell side. >>

Brian-

Yep..you first said that years ago..and it is so true. I tell that to some people and they get upset at me because they say they are collectors and they are never going to sell their cards...but one has to consider the long-term investment angle in all of this.

The truth is that all cards are sold at some time or another....whether by you or someone else.

• Options
    Not to be too mushy, but it has taught me that there are a lot of great guys who collect cards. They more than make up for the few jerks.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• Options
    I have learned that the cards that I own are not worth squat when I want to sell, and the one's I want are never available or are selling for twice book. I have also learned that I once I sell the said card it will then be worth two times SMR.
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Options
    oh yeah, I forgot...when I want to buy it's a possible 9, one-of-a-kind gotta have it, the market hasn't realized potential gem. When I sell, it's at best a 7, low interest, over-valued, out of fashion player, I got my overhead costs, you send me the card before I send you the money transaction.

but it's the friendships that are made along this journey.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    psa set registry has introduced me to some
    fabulous people that i'ld never have met with whom
    ive communicated via telephone,in person or email.
    it has provided an enjoyable interface that features
    a format that enables me to follow the direction i intended
    and made it easy to track my progress as well as the
    accomplishment of others.together with the SMR and POP
    report the set registry has really made the hobby as
    enjoyable as i can imagine.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options

<< <i>I really believe that is true (that was the "expensive game" that I won't play) but why am I still reading posts about those in a bidding war for "low pop" commons or just generally paying star-like values for commons? >>

Because the population of collectors looking for them is going up too.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Nice thread here, Rob!

It has taught me that I will pay upwards of $100++ for a common card that isn't worth 50 cents raw. Crazy.
  • Options
    That what I learn and know about collecting increases at half the pace of what I don't know. Hummm, I get dummer and dummerer every day.
  • Options
    patience, patience, patience........what goes up WILL come down.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Great thread,
    It has taught me to be patient and that I don't have to be number one all the time. I just love the thrill of the chase!
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Good thread!
    If you stick to a budget, and exhibit patience eventually you will complete a set in the grade you desire. Knowing who collects the sets you are interested in and what they need also can help save money.
    Set building has also significantly helped me in what cards to submit to PSA. Before, I would submit any nice without realizing the pop, how many people were looking for that card etc..
  • Options
    It has taught me that I used to suck at grading cards. Now I'm OK at it.

It has taught me that sellers of raw cards on ebay are full of poop on their grading.

It has taught me that I'm a crazed addict and that it is OK to spend $75 on a PSA 9 1986 Topps Pete Rose to complete my set.

It has taught me that it is fun to collect cards again.

that is all. as you were. nothing to see here...

cheers
    minibeers

edit: fixed typo
    1966T, 1971T, 1972T raw and in 8s
    1963T Dodgers in 8s
    Pre-war Brooklyn 5s or higher
  • Options
    it taught me that it is more fun to sell a psa 10 1970 kellogg's common for over five hundred dollars than to have it in a notebook that I look at twice a year ps what ever happened to price of horlen in psa 9?
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    It has taught me:

that a good eye and a bit of experience in the submission (and also the re-submission) game can be a very valuable asset.

to buy raw in person at shows or shops, but if buying on ebay, buy only from sellers or fellow collectors with whom you have had previous success.

that the more knowledgable you are on any issue, the better the bargains you will be able to find, even in graded cards.

that all PSA ----'s (fill in the grade) are not equal.

that you can sell your set as a whole and get top dollar (454% profit at 104% SMR was my take) if you consign to Mastronet.

and finally, that you find many new, interesting, and friendly people that you wouldn't have met otherwise.

Thanks guys.

JIM S

building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options
    It has also taught me that some people....

Use the press/wrinkle method for card restoration: (for edification.....wet wrinkled card back with distilled water using tip of finger; dab away excess water; put in folded piece of paper or envelope; put in middle pages of any book; put several pounds on top; leave for 2 to 4 weeks; take out and set on any flat surface for several months; check with 10x loupe from time to time for reoccuring shrinkage or wrinkles; submit to PSA for grading; sell or keep in your collection)

• Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Great Stuff,folks!

Keep spitting it out.
  • Options
    That Andy Boyer sucks, but knows how to raise reasonable doubt that nothing can be proven
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in PSA Set Collecting"

- Share everything.
    - Play fair.
    - Don't hit people.
    - Put things back where you found them.
    - Clean up your own mess.
    - Don't take things that aren't yours.
    - Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
    - Keep your hands clean.
    - Live a balanced life.
    - When you go out in the world, stick together.
    - Be aware of wonder. Remember the that first card you entered in the registry? Eventually your set got bigger and bigger, but we are all like that.
    - Cardboard and plastic don't last forever. Neither do we.
    - The biggest word of all - LOOK.

Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living.
  • Options
    ScoopScoop Posts: 168
    John B.

Still can't let go.

Except for my set, I have not bought or sold a card in over 18 months, check ebay history, and while you are at it, check my perfect feedback history. I will still take back any card that I have ever sold (cert #'s are on file) with no questions asked and full refund.

I understand your admirable watchdog mentality in this dog eat dog business, but please move on...you have much bigger dogs to hunt.

I am surprised that an ardent P Pirate and Stargell fan would not be able to forgive....you don't have to forget (as I see you haven't).

JIM S
    building 1956 Topps PSA 8/9
  • Options

<< <i> Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody. >>

Too bad everyone can't follow this one.

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey