Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Need some help from you '72 Topps Baseball guys

I am finally going to join you guys and start this set in PSA 8 or better. And to get started, I have talked my wife into letting me spend $100. So whoever can offer me the most PSA 8 '72s will get my hundred bucks. Hi-series, lo-series, common, semi-star, high pop, low pop, it doesn't matter. I just want to get a nice start. Wish I had more to spend, but $100 is all I got for now. So you guys let me know what you can offer.

Thanks--Jason

Comments

• Options
    Many thanks to virtualizard for making me an offer I couldn't refuse. Although it will be a slow go, I am looking forward to making progress on this monster of a set.
  • Options
    Happy to help! image

Best of luck with the set.

JEB.
  • Options
    I have several 8s and a few 9s in dupe that I will let go for a song, esp to help a fellow set collector get started. Please email me at eolander@yahoo.com.

EO
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Jason>
    My opinion is the best bang for the buck is high-end ungraded stuff. Then when you get more cash, submit them on your own. This serves a couple purposes -
    1) Looking through cards and pulling high-end examples is one of the best ways to learn the nuances of the set.
    2) Looking through raw cards and submitting your own is the best way to develop your "eye" and truly learn the difference between a PSA7 and a PSA8 and a PSA9 for a given set. Doing so will also help you determine which PSA8s are worthy of being added to your set and which are not. You'll see it here often - all PSA8s (and 9s) are not created equal.
    3) If your eye is good enough, you'll end up with a certain number of 9s. Buying PSA8s in private sale and/or on eBay is great. But at the end of the day, you have 8s - no more no less. If you develop your skills in looking at raw cards, you'll allow yourself to pick up some 9s - without having to pay eBay prices for them.
    4) As I mentioned, not all PSA8s are created equal. Submitting your own is the surest way I know to make sure each card meets the most important quality standards - yours.

Most people build their sets in a combination of submissions and eBay purchases. Just make sure to keep yourself open to submitting your own stuff. I think it really adds to the enjoyment of building the set.

Good luck,
    Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    I have only submitted two 72's in the past and they both got 8's. They were the Barton IA and the Wills IA. I feel like I have a good handle on what the physical attributes of a card need to be in order to get an 8, but the centering puzzles me sometimes. I have seen unqualified 9s that were 65/35 according to my dial calipers. I could be wrong but I though that was unacceptable for a 9. Anyway, I plan on submitting most of the tougher cards myself, because some of the prices the low pops get is crazy. I have a submission going in next week that has a Garrett, a Henderson, an Expos Team, a Reds Rookies, and a McRae IA. All with the exception of the McRae IA should be 8s. The McRae's centering is borderline. I will let you guys know how my submission turns out.
  • Options
    Many more thanks to EO for an awesome deal. I've really got a good jump on the set now. I think I am very much going to enjoy the camraderie of the set registy forum, especially the '72 guys.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Jason,

If you had caught me before August 6th, I could have helped. All the remaining 72's that I had hit eBay on that date. I'll keep you in mind as I submit more.

I think your best bet - ESPECIALLY when you're starting the set is to put out a message like this one and see who wants to sell "for a song" like EO stated. You'll get the most bang for the bunck and help someone else clean out the closet!

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!