Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1968 Topps Baseball

The 1968 is unique in the respect that many collectors love it and many hate the basketweave design. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground when it comes to the 1968 set. One thing is for certain, many collectors are putting this set together in graded format.

Recently I decided to abandon just about every project that I was working on from before the year of my birth; 1968. If I manage to complete the 1969 before I slit my wrists, the next graded set I think I'll turn to is the 1968 set.

Upon inspection of the cards in my collection, what I found is that I had very difficult time judging corners in relation to a white border set such as 1969.

I frequently see threads in reference to 1965, 1969, 1972 and others but I find a disproportionate (sp?) amount of threads re: 1968 in relation to the number of set builders. I would like to invite the members of the 1968 registry (or anyone working on this set) to share the nuances of this issue with us. I'm not asking for your secrets, just your basic observations mixed with what sparked your interest/desire for this set.

I thank you in advance for your participation.

Comments

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    ZM - I had worked on a graded set about 3 years ago and stopped at 75% to concentrate on the '65 set.
    The '68 is indeed a challenging set. Slight corner wear can almost be un noticed w/o magnification due to the checkerboard design.
    Thats why getting cards already graded are a big help. There were also some vending cases that hit the market during the last few years.
    They were cut cases and didn't contain all card #'s, maybe 10%. So many players are very easy to get in high grade like Grant Jackson, Jeff Torborg, Hank Bauer, Boyer CL etc... Even Don Drysdale is very easy in 9's or 10's and can be had below smr levels. So I recommend you check the pop report and see where the high grade cards are and spend just a bit more to get them in 9's instead of 8's. The low pop 9's will reflect in bidding wars so stay on the sidelines until you see the direction you are headed. So grab the cheap stuff first and then decide if you want to go after the lower pop commons and the Ryan, Mantle, Clemente, Rose, Bench etc... Good luck with the set....jay
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I just checked the pop report and the high grades are astounding!
    There has been 16,074 PSA-9's & 1351 PSA-10's that have been graded.
    Don Drysdale has 129 PSA-9's & 33 PSA-10's in 405 submissions
    Compare that w/ 6 Mantle PSA-10's in 3204 submissions or ZERO Ryan PSA-10's w/ 3622 cards submitted.
    Bill Kelso has 162 PSA-9's & 48 PSA-10's in 297 submissions. So players like Kelso it will be cheaper to land him in a 9, than some other commons will go for in an 8.
    So always check the population report before tackling any big set, it will give you a great idea what you can expect...jay
  • I'm currently completing the 68 set in NM-MT or better condition in raw form with the HOF's in PSA 8. One thing to watch for is across the top or bottom of the card there may be a light print line running accross the width of the card. I don't know if PSA looks down upon this, but it does hurt the eye appeal in my humble opinion. I've also ran accross a number of cards with a portion of the card above or below it on the back where the sheet was miscut. The corners are a bear to catch without a loupe as Jay mentioned.

If anyone has any extra's lying around drop me a line.

Dave
    Looking for '55 Topps Baseball in PSA 7/8.
    Looking for '51 Redbacks in PSA 9
    High Grade Vintage Lots - All Sports
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Zodiac, please email me. I tried to access your profile but I couldn't.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    ZodiacMindwarp -- Of all the '60's sets, 1968 cards are the most plentiful. Because of this PSA 8 cards are very affordable and a lot of 9's can be purchased at very reasonable prices too. I also believe that the "burlap" design of the card is very forgiving in hiding touched corners. I don't think you can go wrong building the '68 set. I think the supply has stablized a bit. It used to be on given day, you could find 150 PSA 9's for auction on eBay and 300 PSA 8's. For the past 6 months, it's been significantly lower than that. Good luck!
  • With the 68's always make sure you check the yellow backs which should help on determing corner wear.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.

Hi everyone. New to the graded scene and have started collecting the 68 set myself. Up to 16 so far, and have my eye on a few more. I figured it would take several years to complete it, so any advice for a newbie would be much appreciated.

Lee
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I remember collecting 68s just for the Tigers as a kid. Always loved that Denny McClain one with those 60s style glasses. There are quite a few PSA 10s on Ebay right now. Gaspipe were do you get all the nice cards?

Stingray
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    You want tuff. Try building a 1968 Football set in PSA 8!

Come on, only 220 cards!

Loves me some shiny!
  • I am currently two cards away from finishing the 68 set in PSA 8 or better. The only two I need are #7 NL ERA leaders (I have a PSA 7 but I would like to upgrade) and 498 Bill Bryan. Please PM or email me at Barkusd@gtlaw.com if you have either card.

I guess I fall into the category of collectors who love this set because it has always been one of my favorites. I have acquired my cards both raw and graded. There is enough supply out there that you can frequently find PSA 8 or PSA 9 quality raw cards. The key is louping the edges and corners. Once you get used to it, it becomes fairly easy to predict grades.

I currently have about 30 PSA graded 68s on my website www.southfloridasportscards.com and I have another 30+ cards to list over the weekend. Email me if you are interested in a lot of 5 or more cards and we can work out a fair discount.

View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store

• << <i>I am currently two cards away from finishing the 68 set in PSA 8 or better. The only two I need are #7 NL ERA leaders (I have a PSA 7 but I would like to upgrade) and 498 Bill Bryan. Please PM or email me at Barkusd@gtlaw.com if you have either card.

I guess I fall into the category of collectors who love this set because it has always been one of my favorites. I have acquired my cards both raw and graded. There is enough supply out there that you can frequently find PSA 8 or PSA 9 quality raw cards. The key is louping the edges and corners. Once you get used to it, it becomes fairly easy to predict grades.

I currently have about 30 PSA graded 68s on my website www.southfloridasportscards.com and I have another 30+ cards to list over the weekend. Email me if you are interested in a lot of 5 or more cards and we can work out a fair discount. >>

Believe it or not, have been reading the 72 thread with much interest image I also have checked out the site and some on Naxcom. Scope out ebay on a daily basis. So I plan on being around for some time. Barkus, I will browse your site again and will let you know.

• gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    The cards are simply the best 1968's I've ever seen. These cards never saw the light of day til a couple of months ago. The gloss and color are the best I've ever seen on any years cards. I did receive some 10's. Including some very nice ones. Alot of great 9's also. Unfortunately 50% of the cards are so OC, there not gradeable. The Ernie Banks cards and the Hank Aaron AS cards were all no good, but the Clemente AS (PSA 9 on Ebay now) I thought was a 10 for sure. I'm sad to say that the great 68's and 75's I've recently and currently have are the last ones of each of there great groups I had graded.
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Gaspipe,

Would you care to share the story of your find? Most of us dream about finding stuff like that.
  • My ultimate goal is to have the set in 8 or better also. I have noticed a few very low pop numbers for quite a few cards, though, even in Grade 8. This may get a little tough image
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    if you are going to start a 68 set , I think this is the best way to go , from the lat mile high auction

606 1968 Topps Baseball High Grade PSA Graded Group (419) $5,753.45

Lots like this tend to come up fairly regularly for 68 since there is so much high grade. factoring in the shipping that you will save from buying individually this is probably the best way to go
  • "burlap" ! perefcet~!
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Seems like quite a few of the higher current finest set owners are upgrading their sets at this time. tigtom seems to be very active on eBay at the moment.

Can anyone tell me of the toughest to get in 8 or better, I have picked off a few low pops in 8 so far.
  • Can anyone tell me of the toughest to get in 8 or better, I have picked off a few low pops in 8 so far.

I think the toughest will be #5 -- probably not the lowest pop, but may be the toughest to find

After that, the toughies are 75, 76, 102, 126, 128, 172, 441, 453, 498

Centering is this issue for many of them.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • I am down to 2 cards to complete my set in PSA 8 or better and they are cards 7 and 498. That has to tell you something.

I just purchased card 5 and it was tough and expensive.

Other tough cards were:

75, 102, 128, 325, 414, 453 and 583.
  • is your set Registered? Can we take a peek?

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • I believe Dave's is the #11 set, whereas mine is a lowly 101 on the list. It will move to 83rd as soon as I get this batch of cards in.
    Nice set Dave image
  • That's correct. I own the #11 set. I just listed about 70 graded (mostly PSA 8) 68s on my website www.southfloridasportscards.com. I have a number of repeat buyers for my 68s so first come first served. These are really nice. They look like 9s and it takes a good eye under a loupe to see why they were graded 8s. Tough grading in my mind.
  • Wow, someone just added a set to the registry of all 9's. Put them at #21 GPA 9.00 Completion of 62.21% and a set rating of 5.35

That knocks me back to 102 on the list, image

I have my eye on a couple that would give me some nice weighting though.

image OOPS, so much for those two
  • Slowly making my way up the registry ladder.
  • Now up to 84th on the list. Seems to be lots of cards up for sale on a weekly basis, lowest I have seen is 389 cards, but it normally goes up to 400+ on any given day. Some in 8 and above have not shown up for sale since 9-11, which is when I started tracking them. I'm having a blast.
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    You looking for 8's or 9's?
  • Me. a little of both, I was in on some of your auctions last week, but alas, you must be well known over on the Bay also, LOL.
    My ebay ID is gotnobi. I am trying to get some of the higher pop 9's for the common players, and the rest in 8, esp the HOF's and stars. Those in 9 would break me up, at this point in time anyways. image

You can always PM me, I check the site daily, so maybe we could work out a deal or something.
  • Worked my way up to 81'st on the list, with several cards yet to come in. Some really nice cards have come up for auction. Back to scoping out the Bay.
  • This set is extremely popular, I guess, since almost every one of the top 29 have updated their sets recently. I have made my way to a tie for #77, and will move up more when my next batch of cards arrive. This latest bunch will move me to 71st, with a GPA of 8.28, completion of 9.7% and a rating of .70.

EDIT:

Now 69th, GPA of 8.23, Completion of 11.71%, rating of .85
  • So Barcus, you gonna leave some of the Bryans for the rest of us, LOL. Glad to see your back from vacation. How was it?
  • I started this set about 2-3 weeks ago. Looking to get it in PSA 9 or better. I've moved to the #55 spot and have a large lot due to arrive no later than Monday. Should put me at #40. I was bored waiting around for the few 75 Topps Mini PSA 9's I still need. This set had just what I needed.....higher pop. PSA 9's image
  • And you must be TAllan. Dang nab it. I see dave finally got his Bryan card. I left it alone, just for you dave image

I got a Brown this evening. missed on a couple of other low pop 8's.

Glad you are on board mini. I have been watching the 72 and 75mini threads for a while. Does anyone know if Arny is ok? NM, just read the 72 thread. If i have any questions on the mini's, would you be willing to assist a relative newbie to the graded scene?

Thx,
    Lee
    ebay Id is gotnobi
  • Thanks. I finally finished the set tonight. ;-)

Arny is ok. He posted on the 72 board last night. He just doesn't have power at his house.
  • Lee,

Whatever you'd like to know about the Mini's just send me an e-mail and I'll do my best to get you a valid answer image
    If your interested in getting started on the 75 Mini graded cards keep me in mind image
  • I am about #12 now on the registry...and 98% complete...

If you want to start a set I have a doubles set ranked 60 I think JP's Extras I would sell. It is 25% complete.
    If not I am probably selling around christmas on EBAY with a complete set ungraded combined.
    Always looking for 1968 Topps PSA 8's and 1960 Topps PSA 7's.

JPARCHITECTUS

• DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    My question is, why are psa 9s in the 1968 set in such abundant supply relative to any other year in the 1960s? There are now 21,341 psa 9s--some 22% of all cards graded. For example 1960 Topps has 2,494 psa 9s or less than 3% of the total.

Seems that most psa 9 commons can be picked up routinely at $20-$25 per card. In comparison it is unusual to get commons under $65 for 1965,61 and 67 Topps--3 sets I have been active in buying 9s lately.

Don't think it is an exaggeration to say that completing the 1968 set in psa 9 is easier than completing a set from late 50s or early 1960s in psa 8. Seems like certain collectors have shot from 8.00 to 9.00 like a rocket.

Dav
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My question is, why are psa 9s in the 1968 set in such abundant supply relative to any other year in the 1960s? >>

Huge supply of vending relative to other years. Either bad distribution at the time or over production.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Well, just purchased a Series 7 checklist off the bay, card#518. The case is cracked at the label, but here is my question.
    On the label, #539 is stated to say Maj. L. Rookies, when in fact the card shows it as Amer. L. Rookies. What do I neeed to do to get it re-encased, and with the error fixed?image

I realize the number of graded Amer L Rookies is smaller, and that is why I bought the card, as you could clearly tell from the photo it was the Amer L version.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Lee

• Lee,

Simply submit the card to PSA as a re-slab order and indicate that the description needs to be changed to reflect that it is in fact the American League Rookies version of the card. I believe PSA charges $5 for this service.

Good news........I've moved into the 14th spot for the SixtyEights! image
  • Ok sweet. Thanks.

By the way, showoff LOLimage
    I am putting my low-mid grade raw 1968 cards in my binder and I am struck as to the proliferation of very ugly mug shots. I know the burlap design is controversal but man, I think collectors would overlook it if the photos were much better. But as I handle each card, I still would take the poor design but sturdy stock of this set over most of the very poor quality cards of 1973+.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I really don't like this set but started putting it together a few years ago because it contained the Bench rookie. Recently I went back through it and found I needed to upgrade over 200 cards. Ugh. If anyone has a large supply in nice raw, NM+ or better or graded in 8 or better let me know. This will not be a registry set because the math doesn't add up to grade all of these cards. Thanks.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • MiniMasterMiniMaster Posts: 505 ✭✭
    Ron,

If your interested in any of my PSA 9's.... check out my 2nd set "TAB'S 19SixtyEight Topps" on the registry. Give me a list of cards you'd be interested in from what I have and I'll give you a price. My e-mail is listed on the registry set.

I kind of got a chuckle as I read one of my old posts to this thread..... my goal at the time was to get this 68 set in all 9's..... well I'm 5 cards shy of that goal.....but I picked up a few more 10's than I figured I'd ever have (currently 185 PSA 10's)......just moved my set to a GPA of 9.26...... image

Perhaps you'd want to just buy this set Ron...... I'll let it go for only $70,000..... image
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi there...need one more card to finish my mid grade 68 set. Looking for card #66 Casey Cox with yellow team letters. PSA 5 or better would be great.

Thanks in advance to all.

Jeff
    I finally got one of my dream cards - the Ryan rookie. It is a very nicely centered PSA 6 and I'm proud to have it in my collection (though it will be one of the few 68s that will remain slabbed).
  • Does anyone have any 68 PSA 9s (NQ) for sale? I've cleaned Mini Master out of what I need until he gets some more 10s. Plesae PM me numbers you have and price, or if you have alot, I can send you my list.

I have some PSA 7s, including some Tigers, on eBay ending tonight. My handle is deeppurple1.

Grazi
    #10 PSA Set for Topps Baseball currently on eBay under seller deeppurple1.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Prego.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Hey 68' collectors scored my first psa 10 , I cant believe it , Ive been honing my loupe skills , couldn't tell what happened to those two 7's though , oh well pretty cool for those six free submissions

1 1 16391086 MINT 9 1968 TOPPS 225 RICHIE ALLEN Card US
    2 1 16391087 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1968 TOPPS 217 TURK FARRELL Card US
    3 1 16391088 GEM MINT 10 1968 TOPPS 149 BOB SAVERINE Card US
    4 1 16391089 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1968 TOPPS 82 SAM BOWENS Card US
    5 1 16391090 NEAR MINT 7 1968 TOPPS 8 A.L. ERA LEADERS Card US
    6 1 16391091 NEAR MINT 7 1968 TOPPS 221 BRAVES TEAM Card US

• I just put up my set of 1968 Topps cards for auction on Greg Bussineau's auction site, to check it out go here: http://www.gregbussineauauctions.com/Catalog3.aspx
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • wow...I can't believe how rare this card really is...
    does anyone here own one of the (2) PSA 9 's ??

1968 Topps #400 McCormick White Team Letters PSA 8.5
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!