Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Questions for RED Cents Collectors

I looked on ebay last night before I went to bed. It cost me 3 grand. These just seemed so nice in the old holders and real reasonably priced too. How did I do?

1909 MS65RD NGC

1909 MS65 RD PCGS

1909 S MS65RD NGC

1909 S MS65RD PCGS

1931 S MS64

1932 Washington MS65

Should I dip the Washington before a regrade attempt or is that toning nice.

Thanks, I don't do much with copper.....until today

Comments

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    are you rich? if so, you did just fine, since you bought coins you like.

if your not rich, you paid too much for some of those. i wouldn't pay $400 for a 1909 philly ihc, i couldn't care less WHAT grade or plastic it was in.

K S
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photos are too poor to make any real judgement. As someone who has recently been in the market selling (for cash) this type of material I can tell you that if the coins are not high end of grade you paid too much. The market is very, very picky on red copper these days. So far as the Washington quarter goes...don't crack it out. If you had to worry about dipping it why did you bid on it in the first place.

I suggest that you go to a major show and bring along some of your coins to sell for CASH. You will soon learn that the market isn't as hot as some claim.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Thanks for the honest opinion, thats what I was looking for.

Life for me is live and learn and I learn more by trying than by watching.

No I am not rich but a few hundred up or down won't break my bank.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    As mentioned the photos just don't show enough to make a judgement on the two 1909 IH's. If they have no distracting spots or marks as the seller says you paid a reasonable amount for both those. MS65RD common dates in PCGS holders -- even 1909's -- are seller at $400 minimum lately and $500+ if they approach PQ. NGC's sell at about 75% that (yours looks like the older NGC holder which is a good sign). Very few EBay sellers photo small coppers well so you have to go by your instincts and the seller's reputation. Let us know when they arrive.
  • Options
    How much are those 32 Washingtons going for these days?
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    Heritage auctioned the last one at 414 in May and 494 in March. Sheet say 320/350. I can't get hurt too bad at 380
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the PCGS 1909-S, if it has no marks that are hidding in that pic it has a slim shot at an up-grade.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Strong $ on the 31-S
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Send the 32-p quarter to PCGS in the holder, they will crack it out and grade it. If it comes back 66 you will make out. Its in an old green holder so it could upgrade. Whatever you do don't crack it out and dip it!
  • Options
    Thansk Don, The strike is strong so I wasn't sure if the toning was holding it back.

yes Tex that was a little strong on the 31-S but I couldn't agree with the grade based on the pictures. MS 64 seems real harsh. If I find spots or scrapes when I see it that were hidden in the picture, that's what a return policy is for.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    coynclecter
    I have to agree about the pics being small.I do like the 1909-S in PCGS holder also.If it is as good as it looks,you didn't pay to much.That is one of the semi Key dates.These are going for strong money,when they go to auction.The 1931-S looks nice but I think you paid a little to much for it.JMHO
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

• Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Ditto to what Mozeppa said. Both I and Mozeppa bought our 09-s Lincolns from him... both of us were quite pleased!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    my opinion: don't waste your hard-earned $$$ on "ms-65 rd" common-date ihc's, especially at 400/pop. why not buy FIVE super nice ms-64 rb's that have CHARACTER?

again, do what you want w/ your $$$, but since you asked, & i presume you are asking as a collector, NOT a speculator, i say you could of got a lot more bang for the buck.

K S
  • Options

On your Lincolns, it looks like you did just fine. If there are no problems hiding in those photos, you paid reasonable prices. $900 for the 09-S in an NGC holder might be a little steep, but if it is a nice coin in person the holder shouldn't matter that much.
  • Options
    Jack

I appreciate your assistance but I must ask about your statement. Why would an NGC holder be worth less than a PCGS? Are you saying that it would not meet PCGS MS65 standards and is there for a PCGS 64. If so, then it is worth subtantially less. If it is as good as the PCGS coin then it should be worth the same. It will be going to PCGS when it arrives.

BTW the ones that have sold on Heritage have sold for over 1100. The IHs have sold well over 400 at Heritage also.

Thanks to all who offered advise, My plan is to send back any that is "substantially"misrepresented. From what I've heard that will probably not happen. I will send some in for regrade and sell the lesser of them, keeping the best for myself. I'll let you know how things turn out.
  • Options
    Just a followup. THe 1909-S Lincoln in MS65RD now resides in a PCGS MS66RD holder. Score one for the home team.
  • Options
    THe 1909-S Lincoln in MS65RD now resides in a PCGS MS66RD holder.

Congratulations on the upgrade. Your wild night on eBay really paid off......
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, your late night coin binge didn't cost you as much as you thought. What did you think of the 2 IH's?
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking stuff....I have a feeling that when you open that drawer, and find these sitting in there 20 years from now, you're going to be pretty happy !!
    Paul
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say that if you can casually "buy it now" three thousand dollars worth of impulse purchases,
    you must be doing just fine image

Just a followup. THe 1909-S Lincoln in MS65RD now resides in a PCGS MS66RD holder. Score one for the home team.

Wow, nice upgrade! follow those instincts! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Thanks for the honest opinion, thats what I was looking for.

Life for me is live and learn and I learn more by trying than by watching.

No I am not rich but a few hundred up or down won't break my bank. >>

You must be single.

My wife would give me a dirty look every time I'd buy a coin for $30 dollars.
  • Options

<< <i>My wife would give me a dirty look every time I'd buy a coin for $30 dollars >>

No I'm not single,

Who tells the wife?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file