Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My Buddy's Coins (A bunch of Morgans)

Hi all,

My friend came over and dropped off this small collection of Morgans, Peace, and a few albums of circulated Lincolns, Jeffs, and Washington quarters. There is a big pile of loose silver that I'm just starting to search.

I found one 1894 Morgan that I believe is in F-12 to F-15. My local dealer offered $675.00 for it. I'll slab that one for sure. I'm also finding some better date Morgans such as the 1882 through 1884-CC's, a 93-O ect. My question is, what to do with all the "common Morgans". My friend would like to sell all this stuff. I don't think eBay is the place for raw common coins but I could be wrong.

BTW, I'm having a blast and my buddy couldn't believe what the "worn out" 1894 Morgan was worth, and yes, I'm putting the better stuff in filps.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like tons of fun!
    to live outside the law, you must be honest ---- bd
  • Options
    I wish I could do something like that.
    Young Numismatist that collects: Morgan Dollars, SAE, Proof Sets, and Liberty Nickels.
    I also love to go through rolls to find coins.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    PM sent.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff. Wish one of my buddies had great coins. image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ebay is exactly the place for raw, common stuff in bulk. take good pics, write good descriptions, and the coins will sell themselves. What are those green albums?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭

<< <i>ebay is exactly the place for raw, common stuff in bulk. take good pics, write good descriptions, and the coins will sell themselves. What are those green albums? >>

I just don't know if I want to put up with the riff-raff. It was suggested to me that I might try the BST board and let the members here have first crack at a better price. I don't know, if they were mine that is exactly what I'd do, but they're not so I should probably eBay them. I'll talk to my buddy and explain the options. Also, I'm going to try to get him to kick some of the stuff to a few YNs.

The green albums are made by Meghrig. My friend's dad used them for his duplicates for some reason.
  • Options
    What riff-raff? Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've done 300+ transactions with not a bad experience. I think people make too much of the "ebay is full of scammers and deadbeat buyers" thing. Sure, there are some, but they are outnumbered 100 to 1.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I agree that ebay is the perfect place to sell circulated common date Morgans. I've sold hundreds of them there. Just give a good discription, including any problems, and a good scan, and just like Baley said, they will sell themselves.
    Becky
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay is a very good route to sell these coins. But it would'nt hurt to try the BST first, might save on the listing fees. Have fun.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    If you've got some nice problem free circ Morgans...VF/EF...I'd be interested in what you have. I'm working on a circ date set
  • Options
    Trash those old green albums. They destroy coins over time. We had lots of them and they did a number on some really great coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Trash those old green albums. They destroy coins over time. We had lots of them and they did a number on some really great coins. >>

I'll get them out of there. Thanks for the tip.
  • Options

<< <i>Trash those old green albums. They destroy coins over time. We had lots of them and they did a number on some really great coins. >>

Please explain how they destroy coins.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I thought I'd give everyone an update on what I've found so far.

After going through most of the Morgans, I began to realize that quite a few had been cleaned. When I told my friend about cleaning and the resultant loss of value, he said that his dad started cleaning the coins in the mid 1960s until someone told him to stop. This explains why about half the coins look like they do.

On the bright side, I did find an 1894, 1890-CC, 1893-O and a 1921 Peace that were original. I took advantage of my free submissions I got when I joined PCGS and sent them in. When I get the grades I'll let everyone know.

• Options
    The better coins I would put into polybags before putting them into flips.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
  • Options
    Here are the grades on the first four coins from the collection......

1 21747388 1894 S$1 USA VF20 (I figured F15)
    2 21747389 1890-CC S$1 USA Cleaning (I tried)
    3 21747390 1893-O S$1 USA XF40 (This one has some cool toning)
    4 21747391 1921 S$1 Peace, High Relief USA XF40

Now that I feel a bit more comfortable about spotting the coins that are cleaned, I'll begin to list some of the raw coins on e-Bay. I'm hoping that there is a market for the cleaned stuff as well, as they aren't harshly scrubbed.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    For my personal tastes, I'm not opposed to a cleaned coin in my collection. Maybe I just ain't in it for the right reasons image
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file