Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian tokens?

I received these two in a group of Canadian provincial cents and bank tokens. Are they Canadian as well? Any specific information or value would be appreciated. The Wellington portrait appears to be very similar to a 1783 Washington & Independance token that I have.

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    While I can't help you with ID, I just wanted to say that I was particularly taken with the 1815 half penny token. The toning is just the way I like older copper to look.

I find myself buying Canadian bank tokens on a regular basis-they're rarely expensive and usually represent an interesting bit of history.
    I bought one recently, Bank of Montreal I think, that had the word "inspected" stamped right across the obverse.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    I like that 1815 tooimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Thanks. I'd never paid much attention to them, except for the PEI cents. The Nova Scotia/New Brunswick cents are growing on me, though. But then, I am kind of partial to the young Vicky coins. I can imagine they would be stunning in original condition.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    While they are interesting pieces I believe they are not Canadian, at least not official government issue. If it were it should say the privince issued from or Canada on it. Just my opinion, not stated as absolute here.
    So many coins, so little money!
    Ebay name: bhil3
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Steve - I don't know what they are ....but they sure are neat, especially the 1815.
    Shep
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Token #1 BR-979

Token #2 BR-994 From Charlton (1977) 'The Britannia-eagle tokens were issued in 1813 by a Boston merchant who settled in Montreal. Lightweight specimens dated 1813, 1814, and 1815 are imitations. The token of 1815 was once thought extremely rare, but a hoard was found in 1900'

Any values I have are from 1977.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Excellent! Thank you, ajaan. I can see another book in my future. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Spiny,

To add to Don's info:

The first is catalogued by Charlton as Wellington #WE2A. There are 3 varieties - plain edge, engrailed edge, and reeded edge. 2003 cat values F $8, VF $20, EF $60 Canadian. Yours looks VF+ to me.

The second is part of the Spread Eagle series of 1813-1815. The 1813 date was issued by a Boston Merchant and struck over the Samuel Guppy token of Bristol and is considered the original. Weight 8.8gms, diameter 27.9mm, coinage strike, engrailed edge. Yours is an imitation piece catalogued as Lower Canada #LC54D2 with clockwise wreath. The D1 has a counter clockwise wreath. According to Charlton these were produced after 1825 and antedated. Weight 6.1-6.5gms, dia 27.5-27.7mm, coinage strike, engrailed edge. Values F $12, VF $18, EF $30. Yours looks EF to me.

Nice tokens,

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Great addition! Thanks. Both weigh in the 6g range and have the engrailed edge.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Care to look up another one from Lower Canada?

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Very interesting token Steve. BR-718 issued from 1824-1827 with plain edges and 1828-1830 with reeded edges. Issued by a druggist firm in Toronto who also sold books.

edit to add: there is also a 2p coin that is rare, especially in Fine.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Yeah, I saw more about the 2p than the 1/2p when I searched google. There were more interesting ones on this site. I may have stumbled on to my latest sidetrack. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    Very nice tokens. I love Canadian tokens. I have a few myself.

• Options
    I loved a token Canadian once. It was during the summer of 1978, but I won't go there . . .

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Excellent finds, Spiny! I like 'em.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22