Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone have a 17th century Krause handy - 1647 1/16 Thaler

Could someone check the info on this coin:

imageimage
"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    Looks like a silver 1/16 thaler of the north German state of Holstein-Gottorp. It's not listed in the '99 2nd edition as it only goes back to 1661for that denomination. Those later dates of similar design start at $20 in VG, $40 in F and $65 in VF.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Is there a Krause that covers the 16th Century?????
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There isn't a Krause that covers the 16th Century but I heard rumors they may come out with one.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Brad!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    It's been rumored for several years now, but Krause seems to be more focused on fixing their not-inconsiderable problems with their modern World Coins catalog. That's probably prudent, given how little resources the great catalog publishing house of Krause allocates to its numismatic publications. After they get that volume "new and improved" enough, I imagine they'll start doing the same to the other volumes. I don't expect to see a 16th century volume come out for a very long time. image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Hello Steve!

Nice coin! I have the same one! image See pictures below

It is a "16 Schilling" and the person is "Friedrich III" of "Schleswig-Holstein Gottorp"

Text: "FRIDERICUS . D . G . H.N.D.S.E.H" / "VIRTVT:GLORIA:MERC" / "XVI / I REIC / HS DA / M X M"

But it is not King "Frederik III of Denmark" (King 1648 - 1670)

The Mintmark is from Glückstadt in north Germany

Link

Sorry but I dont know the actual value of this coin.

Wishes

Eric

Scandinavian and US coins are my pleasure!
  • Options
    Here comes the second picture:

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins, Eric!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    It is in fact the same Frederick as the Danish king, but he did not possess Schlesvig-Holstein-Gottop as the king of Denmark. As I recall he was a duke or a prince or something down there - the area was not considered part of Denmark, but Danish collectors still have an interest in it. The coin is scarce, but not impossible to find. I have seen a few of them myself. The exact value, however, I am not sure about.

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    Hello!

1jester: Thanks! image

Mad Muffin:

Hm, I can not agree with you. You say Frederik III of Denmark is the same as Friedrich III?
    I have added a link to a danish "Family tree". After that I would say they have been in family together (longer ago)
    but they are two different. Frederik died 1670 and Friedrich died 1659.
    By the way, this site is really good! Mostly only in Danish, but also parts in German and English!
    King Frederik made also coins from mintmark Glückstadt after 1657 and for Bremen and Verden in the area 1641 - 43.
    See "Sieg´s Møntkatalog Danmark fra 1533"

Med venlig hilsen image

Stamtavle

Coins of Frederik III
  • Options
    Thanks Eric, the links are interesting, but I wish I knew Danish.
  • Options
    Hi Steve!

There is also a little bit in English on this site!

Link

Are you collecting coins from this area?

By the way I saw in your profile that you live in Hicksville!?
    Last year on our trip throu USA and Canada we stayed some days in Hicksville, Long Island!
    Funny!

Best wishes

Eric

• Options
    Hicksville, Long Island

Yes, that's the place, I guess it is a small world.