Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Has anyone done the set review?

Can anyone describe how to do this? Is there any special instruction to do so?
How is the outcome of any set review?
an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    TDN, Bruce, where are you?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just a submission of your entire set for grade review. The advantage is the graders see the entire set in one fell swoop and can more accurately assess the quality of your coins. The disadvantage is you pay for a grade review on every coin - even the ones that you know won't go up. I brought my Seated Dollar set to the last Las Vegas Invitational and submitted it there. Be sure to allow them to take it back to the office so they can take their time. Do NOT try to get it reviewed and back at a show.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    I did it about 2 months ago. It is WELL worth the effort and money....especially if you have high end stuff.

All you do is send in the entire set...you have to pay the same fee as if they were individual coins, BUT
    they grade the entire set at once....so the graders know they are looking at a set. That's the advantage...it just works when they see a lot of great stuff at once. If you have lots of 65/66's with some good 64's mixed in, you have a decent shot of a couple being upgraded because of the "tow" effect? Or they just are undergraded. Now if they are ragged or uneventful 64's, it isn't going to happen...but in my case I had quite a few high end 64's, and I got two very significant upgrades. It was a very profitable submission and I was thrilled with the results...and I will add...both the coins were on a list I had made of the "5 most likely" upgrades, so there was not a 'gift'! If you have a good set GO FOR IT...you should be very pleased. I also had my set pedigreed at the same time...for MY benefit...I can see when after I sell the set, everyone getting them reholdered without my name. hahahaimage
  • Options
    TDN and saintguru, what is the service that you use when did the set review? Since seated dollars and Saints are high $$$ coins, I would assume you paid $100 per coin service. If so, what is the turn around time when did your set review?

Bruce, would you share with us how many of your coins got upgraded in this process?
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Someday day I will do this too - and hope I get some downgrades! image Yep, striving for the lowest graded set...ahahahahahahahaha
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    With a Registry set comprised of 83 coins at present, that could get just a tad too pricy!image
  • Options
    I can only tell you this. Everyone I know that has done this (about 5 people) has been VERY happy with the results. Now I will say that I think it is better if your set is comprised of high-end coins...and ones where the prices jump a lot from upgrades, (like Saints), but even ONE or TWO upgrades pays for the submission many times over. I paid the walkthrough rate and had my set graded in 48 hours. AS I said I received 2 upgrades that increased the value of my set significantly. I would indicate the $$ amt. but I have been REAMED for talking about expensive coins among some of the more conservative collectors. The big cost that irked me was shipping the set via Brinks...that was a $1300 round trip ticket!! But I came out way ahead!

You submit as you would any other coins...list every one of them but just use ONE submission number...if you cant fit them on a single form photocopy page 2 so you don't use a second number...I assigned UPGRADE values to the coins I thought had potential, which was probably futile, but I considered it a "lucky mojo". The graders don't see it..but I do!!

I say if you have a set that's worthy of being regraded, you will not regret it. If it's just an assembly of lesser grades(no offense) you may not get the desired results. Hope that helps.image
  • Options
    Saintguru,

Did you send in more than one coins that have the same date and mint mark? I.e., I would like to know whethere it is limited to one coin per date/mint mark.

• Options
    I did not, however I can't imagine that it would be a problem, since many collectors have more than one set in the same series.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been seriously thinking of sending in my Registry set of SLQ's, but wasn't sure how to get them insured. (Have thought of sending in multiple registered packages insured via USPS for their maximum value of $25K each; I'd just have to notify PCGS that there are a couple of boxes containing the complete set.) Didn't realize that Brink's offered that service. (What insurance premium do they charge per $1,000 ?) I guess PCGS would just notify Brink's to come back and pick the set up once its been grade reviewed and pedigreed ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Insurance is about $1 per thousand I think...but YOU have to call Brinks when it's time to have them picked up at PCGS. It's expensive with a good set, but the peace of mind is worth it. And it's cool when a guy with a gun comes into your office!! Everyone thinks you're getting arrested!!image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Saint...

Do you have to fill out a contents manifest ?

The $1.00 charge for $1,000 of insurance seems in line considering they'll take the entire set in one package (and I don't have to break up the set in $25,000 increments as the USPS requires).

I'll send you a PM regarding another topic which should interest you.

Thanks again.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    With a Registry set comprised of 83 coins at present, that could get just a tad too pricy!

I hear ya! I have over 150 PCGS slabed coins and probably about 3000 unslabed coins!
  • Options
    I resubmitted my 1957 Proof Set and got one bump. The cent went from PR67CAM to PR68CAM. Only cost me the postage as I used freebie grading.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    I looked this thread up, and have a question.
    I am thinking about submitting my set this weekend at L.B.

tradedollarnut / saintguru hope your out there

1 Do you think it best to include the "Top Pop" coins in the set to maybe boost others, or
    fill the set with all coins with best chance to upgrade, say 1 grade below "Top Pop"?

Thanks in advance
    Mike

• Options
    mike

the resaon this " power play " works is because what the services are really doing is ranking coins.....and if you have great coins they reward them....as a grader its really boring to see stuff all day ...in fact its nice to get a coin woody once in a while which happens every now and then for a moment or two....but when you get continuous woody for an hour.........its like sleeping with britney all night...if you know what i mean....seeing great coins one after another doesnt happen too often

as far as this

>>>1 Do you think it best to include the "Top Pop" coins in the set to maybe boost others, or
    fill the set with all coins with best chance to upgrade, say 1 grade below "Top Pop"?

absolutely......in fact i have had top pops go up another grade where as its top pop by 2 grades.........i had a 66 go 67 to top pop of 1...then when i did my set it went 68...top pop by 2 grades....and if you really want to know i think they shorted me as i really feel its a 69

in latin ( a legal term ) they call it res ipsa loqutor...meaning it speaks for itself....and great coins do just that!!!

now the killer.............i originally bought it in an icg 66 holder

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    I want to add an amen brother(s) to the comments by TDN, Saintguru and Monsterman.

If you need more encouragement, talk with Steve Duckor and Peter Shireman( Barber halves).

As to the cost/reward, the coin values need to be on the high end, to begin with, for the results to be superior. I submitted over 300 coins in 5 different series. Some of the series were not complete, but the quality was sufficient for pedigrees for all.

Also submiited at the same time all the NGC coins in the various sets. I estimate a 30% cross, and at least a 10% upgrade on PCGS holdered coins. One upgrade covered the cost, of shipping and regrades. I think I increased the value of the sets by more than 5 times the cost of the procedure.

What was most rewarding were the successful crosses that had been Xed under earlier submissions. Being able to see the entire collection had to help.

And lastly, Presidential review did get several coins crossed/upgraded.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    It's a good thing!
  • Options
    I have had very good luck this way also..especially on "keys" that they just won't seem to give a break on when the coin is all alone..but when he is with his whole family its tough to deny who's good looking...
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Dale,

Did you submit the NGC coins as part of the set review? Doesn't that run afoul of their two types of service (regrade and crossgrade) on one invoice taboo?

I'd like to submit my Canada large cent registry set for a set review, but also send along a couple of ICCS graded coins that wouldn't cross by themselves.

Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Monsterman - Are you saying that Graders at PCGS get "Woodys" when they see some coins ??????Can you name them ?????

ps I couldn't get an upgrade if I sent in 500 of my coin in one fell swoop !

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart...you should have someone else send them in for you. After all, "Mr. Penny" is always being watched. image

slugfb...definately send in top pops...they just add to the overall quality they are looking at. Monsterman's coin woody analogy is really closer to the truth than you may think.

Let's face it, if you send in a set of mediocre coins, they are just going to yawn and blow through them. If you send in a great set, they wake up in a hurry that these are not just clunkers, and the overwhelming high grades do seem to help push a few marginals over the fence.

Go for it!