Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

early proof set on ebay in original packaging

darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
Not too common to see these in the original packaging. LINK mike image

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    That might be the original envelope, but that holder isn't original. Just like in later years, the mint packaged each coin in it's own little celo. The outer packaging varied, though, and wasn't standardized until 1950 when they started using the little boxes.

Rus, NCNE
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The packaging is very cool. Can't be many left like that!

That reminded me of how many times I see pre-1936 sets advertised as "original sets" (and a corresponding premium being asked) but all the coins are slabbed. How in the world can anyone know if the sets are put together?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Hi,
    this looks like every other early 1950's mint set I've seen as far as the holder. What am I missing - looks original to me, with the little flap of paper covering the front. I know early Proof sets did some in the ealy stapled cello packaging and mint tissue, but I have seen several Mint sets from the 50's like this. Why is it not original? (speaking about the coins..)

Best,
    Billy
  • Options
    Also looks to me as if it is a Mint Set rather than a Proof Set. But, at that
    year, if it is original, who cares?

Alex in Alaska
    Collecting Morgans in Any Grade
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't have a clue about the holder.
    I have to wonder why more of the coins don't show toning after all these years.image
    Larry

• Options

<< <i>this looks like every other early 1950's mint set I've seen as far as the holder. What am I missing - looks original to me >>

The seller is claiming it's a proof set, not a mint set. Also, there were no mint sets issued in 1940. Mint set production didn't begin until 1947.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>this looks like every other early 1950's mint set I've seen as far as the holder. What am I missing - looks original to me >>

The seller is claiming it's a proof set, not a mint set.

Russ, NCNE >>

Hi Russ,
    I misunderstood. Yes, Proof sets certainly did not come like this image

Best,
    Billy
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    darktone
    I believe it is the original Proof set and packaging. With a 7 day no questions asked return policy,you can't go wrong.If I had the money I'd bid.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options

<< <i>

The seller is claiming it's a proof set, not a mint set. Also, there were no mint sets issued in 1940. Mint set production didn't begin until 1947.

Russ, NCNE >>

Hi Russ,
    yes - not until 1947. I used to have a single well-toned 47-P set. These are 1954 and '58 or whatever, so the year didn't concern me. The auction stated "Mint Set" when I viewed it, so I guess it was ammended?

Best,
    Billy
  • Options

<< <i>I believe it is the original Proof set and packaging. >>

Don,

If the holder is original, then all the published material about the era would have to be wrong. Everything I've read says that these were packaged in the little celos. They actually weren't technically sold as "sets", but rather as individual coins.

<< <i>The auction stated "Mint Set" when I viewed it, so I guess it was ammended? >>

Nope, nothing was changed.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Hi Russ,
    well then I am lost. Who started calling it a Proof set? Auction for '54 states "Mint Set" right now in title and text..what did I miss?
    Best,
    Billy image
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    magikbilly

You may have been looking at darktone's ebay link.
    Larry

• Options

<< <i>magikbilly

You may have been looking at darktone's ebay link.
    image >>

Dear ldhair,
    THANKS image Thought I was losing it. That is exactly what I was doing! Wrong link! That "1940 Proof Set" is as bogus as Russ says. They were, as he says, available individually, in I believe both celo and/or mint tissue.

Thanks,
    Billy image
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Some interesting comments. I have seen a few of these sets in these holders with there original envelopes I just assumed this packaging was from the mint. Can anyone say for sure how they were packaged in 1940? We all know about the double mint sets from 1947-1958 and the mint packaging from 1950-to present is pretty well documented but I would love to get a little info on the 30's and 40's. mike image
  • Options
    I have a '40 and '41 set that were in original cello envelopes, just like the '50-'53s
  • Options
    negative, for a few orders of all coins, or multiple orders, etc., they did in fact have a few private 5 coin
    holders made just exactly like the one i'm seeing here and shipped them to those who ordered in this fashion. i have seen 39,40,1 & 2 in these holders with that red trim and the orignal mint invoice,envelope and all just is as presented in that auction with that kind of shipping envelope sized for that 5 coin holder. i have a fat snipe ready for that one. it's a definite putback keeper i'm gonna lay a good customer in if i hammer it.....that is unless it's been whor*d around and slits cut on the slide sides and coins have been intruded upon by the slides. then we could have a general 15 back pr64 or so quality proof set...not sure about the seller or credence of factuality...
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT for any other information about the old Proof Set packaging.
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me of the time, at an auction company, we got a consignment of original proof sets from the 1890s that were still in the original mailing envelopes. A couple had never been opened!

I opened the 1892 and found a magnificent group of choicely toned gems, matched and lovely. They went right onto a submission form, in order, for the precious consecutive number sequence.

Two of them came back as artificial color.

So it goes.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people are going to click on the link to the auction....
    I did....
    Then I realized it was 4 years ago....
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how many people are going to click on the link to the auction....
    I did....
    Then I realized it was 4 years ago.... >>

I almost clicked on the link but happened to notice the original date of the post.

I'm usually not that observant of such things. image

Mike
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like something that would happen to one of my submissions! Too bad you couldn't submit them in the original mint packaging.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how many people are going to click on the link to the auction....
    I did....

I did. image
  • Options
    As a collector of proof sets in their original packaging, I can assume then that I will be unsuccessful in my search for the pre-1950 sets. I guess I'll have to stick with Capital Plastics holders for those. image

Bob
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread reminds me of the time, at an auction company, we got a consignment of original proof sets from the 1890s that were still in the original mailing envelopes. A couple had never been opened!

I opened the 1892 and found a magnificent group of choicely toned gems, matched and lovely. They went right onto a submission form, in order, for the precious consecutive number sequence.

So it goes. >>

That's so funny I think I just soiled myself...

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

I did....

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

I did....

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I did....

image >>

That explains why it wouldn't come up!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file