Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Modern cards, game-used etc.

i haven't met or talked to any ppl that collect game used cards for the history, or just to collect them. most ppl sell their game used for a profit, and i see myself as one of very few game used collectors. is it me or am i right? seems like most ppl collect vintage, and rookies.

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    GU is not a wise investment right now, if you like them just to have them then that is fine, but when people
    are spending 100-200 bucks A PACK, you can see how people need to sell quick.

I really don't like where this hobby is going, there has been much talk about it. I think this is the beginning of
    something bad. Kinda like when you print up too much money and the price of it goes down. It only take a handful
    of collectors whose collections are worth half what they were worth last year, to start an avalanche.

Good luck in your collection.

Kevin
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>GU is not a wise investment right now >>

I agree - there's just plain too much of the stuff and it has taken the edge off of the pull.
    I believe that the auto cardz are more fun and have a nicer feel to them IMO
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Yeah I agree, when GU were a new thing they were great because they were kind of a rarity. Now you're "guranteed one in every box" and etc.... there's tons of them out there now. I collect some but only of the few players that I actualy collect.

But someone out there must be collecting them.... otherwise who would buy them when the rest of us put them up for sale?
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    I am one of the minority of folks that collect game used golf card. I pick them up for three main reasons.

1. I collect golf cards

2. They look nice

3. They are affordable.

Dave
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I collect GU cards of HOFers, of which there are about 125 different players now. I've got about 50. I also get cards of minor players I like such as Greg Luzinski and Garry Maddox. I've been collecting Frank Thomas for about 12 years, and I've got a load of his stuff, but it's impossible to keep up with. At one point I had all but one of his GU cards, but around 2001 he started appearing in every set. I don't do it for the "connection" I just think it's "cool."

This falls into the hobby area of my hobby. The dollars spent on these cards are spent, no idea of selling them, let alone making a profit on them. Most people spend their money like this, whether they know it or not. I'm sure 98% of all GU cards produced in the last 5 years will never get above current values except for inflation. Beckett recorded thousands of RCs produced last year for hundreds of new players, but the rate of stardom is similar.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Joe, I can't believe it. We finally agree on somthing.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    With all the GU jerseys and bats being sliced up for cards, how do the players have anything left to wear in a game, or to swing when they get to the plate?

Seriously, I think the avalanche has already started, in terms of GU cards being dumped on eBay and getting minimal bids or no bids at all. Sellers are jacking up their S&H in an attempt to recover a fraction of what they spent on packs to get a GU card that sold for a dollar.

Of course, using S&H to supplement auction revenue is nothing new.
  • Options
    Every company should only be allowed to release one set.. no spin off's.. for instance in Hockey Upper Deck has:

Upper Deck..
    Upper Deck Bee Hive..
    Upper Deck Black Diamond..
    Upper Deck Classic Portraits..
    Upper Deck Honor Roll..
    Upper Deck Ice..
    Upper Deck MVP..
    Upper Deck Rookie Update..
    Upper Deck Trilogy..
    Upper Deck Victory..
    Upper Deck Premier Collection..

Holy oversaturation batman!

They should only be allowed to make a 'Upper Deck' set and that's it..

I think its foolish spending a lot of money on game used cards. Look at back in '94 when BAP came out.. People were paying well over $1,000 for the gretzky signed insert card but now that there's so many Gretzky signed inserts out there that cards not as special any more and it has dropped in value.

I would like to have a piece of a Mantle jersey among others but I'm going to wait. In a few years to come they'll probably be selling on ebay for $20.00 especially after they come out with some other new crazy idea to incorporate onto cardboard.
  • Options
    I hear ya there!!

The market is so weak for these cards

I put up a 2000 UD Ricky Williams Game used souvenier card on Ebay last week and started it at .25.

I got .25 for it. Yay!

Then to make matters worse.... I think the buyer is backing out on me cuz I still haven't recieved the $2.25 he owes me!

I question this..... look that card up and I think it books for $30 or $40 I don't remember........

Where the #($*& Does Beckett get it's prices????
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love GU cards myself. Right now, I'm actually putting together a set of the patch cards from 2001 Pacific Atomic Prism football (see the slideshow below to take a look at it, if you like). The market has definitely fallen out from under 99% of the GU out there. Sets like the one I'm working on are a large part of the reason - patches from guys nobody's ever heard or cares about, etc. But I'm not in it for the investment, I'm in it for the fun (I love the look of patch cards), so if the prices fall, no problem for me...

Tabe

2001 Pacific Atomic Prism Football Patches Slideshow
  • Options
    some good posts almost 4 years old, seems like they were right on
  • Options

<< <i>GU is not a wise investment right now, if you like them just to have them then that is fine, but when people
    are spending 100-200 bucks A PACK, you can see how people need to sell quick.

I really don't like where this hobby is going, there has been much talk about it. I think this is the beginning of
    something bad. Kinda like when you print up too much money and the price of it goes down. It only take a handful
    of collectors whose collections are worth half what they were worth last year, to start an avalanche.

Good luck in your collection.

Kevin >>

I agree (see Hillary Clinton "kissing bandit card" nobody even knows how many were "released" and their spending 2 grand on them) <---wow, that was a long paranthesis sentence. image
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options

<< <i>I am one of the minority of folks that collect game used golf card. I pick them up for three main reasons.

1. I collect golf cards

2. They look nice

3. They are affordable.

Dave >>

What do they put swatches of a collar shirt in them? You might want to check Kohl's dept. store stock prices starting around the time that golf GU cards started to be issued. image

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    P.S. and don't I feel like a dumbskie for thinking this was a current thread. image

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    If the market colapses, I will be happy to pay pennies on the dollar for Babe Ruth game used cards.

The market is so bad, cards are so down, the end is near, but I keep getting out bid on ebay.

I think I am going to invest in Pokemon and YuGiOh cards. Just like everyone threw away all of their baseball cards 50 years ago, moms are tossing these. When these kids are 40 and have jobs, they are going to want to collect these like they did when they were kids. Then I will make millions. I have cases of this Pokemon stuff stacked in sotrage on top of my Pogs hoard I am waiting to cash in on.
  • Options
    allen, i thought you were into webkinz?
  • Options
    I collect some GU cards but the thrill of the hunt has long since passed . I am a player collector( Chipper Jones) and do collect all his but other then that i have lost interest in GU cards except HOF'ers . I do however absolutely love pulling autographed cards . I am a huge TTM collector so pulling autos is still cool to me .
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL