Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Price trends

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know exactly how the "price trends" are calculated? Is it possible to get the underlying calculations? Or is there anyone that publishes the auction and retail prices for particular coin series and dates/mintmark? For example, if I wanted to see the pricing trends for an 18XX eagle in grade Y with mintmark Z over the past 5 years, is there anyplace I can find that information? Thanks.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    A good baseline for this info is Heritage Permanent Auction archives...not as useful on scarce date material though because their customer system only returns their own auction history. I've had luck building a price history profile in those cases from a number of similar dates in the same series. I believe there is a source for compiled results from all the top auction houses but do not know who the provider is.

Or you can hire me at a high hourly rate to do such research for you. image

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Rella that is a great place but you have to "build" a history for your interests like you say. Another is the "CU3000" index

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=coinindex&filename=index

but it seems more studious to work with the heritage histories because they go back to like '98 or so but the down side is they add the 15% juice to the sale price they use in the history.

excellent topic!

• Options
    Are you a Coin World subscriber?

If so, you can go to http://www.coinworldtrends.com/ to view the Online Trends (Coinv Values I think they call it now).

It is not intuitive but they have their Trends prices going back to Jan 2000.

What you do to get to the history is go to the page with the current trends for your coin or coin type and then click on the current Trends price. It will bring up the Trends history popup window.

Edited to fix link...as usual.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    You can use the Redbook if the coin is listed. If you want to track something rare, you should use the Heritage archives as Rella pointed out.

Krause Publications (collect.com) sells books with auction records as well.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file