Home Sports Talk
Options

Edgar Martinez retiring

Gar announced he will retire at the end of the season. What are the chances of a career DH going to the HOF?

Lifetime Stats

Comments

• Options
    It's a position, I don't see why he should be excluded. He has the numbers for it.
  • Options
    He Deserves it, great hitter, better teamate. Try and find anyone that has anything bad to say about Edgar... You probly wont.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Classy guy..always been one of my favorites. Sorry to see him go, but it is time I think. He'll be the "test case" for DH HOF induction.

Skip
    I'll take the cards & flowers when I'm living and the BS when I'm dead!

ANGEL OF HOPE

Skip
    TUSTIN CA
  • Options
    Good hitter-Great guy, thanks for playing-no hall for you!!!
    Same type as Jim Rice , Fred Lynn, Cecil Cooper, etc.- good player , buy not HOF material.
    Collect vintage basketball and baseball,graded rookies allsports, Robin Yount,Brewers,Bucks,Packers
    Putting together a set of 61 Fleer Basketball PSA 7 or better.
    Trade references: T,Raf12,Coach Vinny,Iceman,McDee2,Lantz,JSA
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    He is one of the classiest players in the majors currently. Also, his numbers should stand up for Hall induction, but I agree - it will be a close call for him.
  • Options
    From what I have read, here is one great guy. Good for the clubhouse, the team, and MLB.

Very admirable to stay with one team your entire career, especially in this economic environment.

That being said, he only played "half" a game for a large portion of his career, being primarily a DH....he did play 3rd base from, what, '87 or so to about '94? I think he received some real playing time beginning in '89.

I would say probably not. Odds would have been much better if he played in the field for a longer period of time.....just my opinion. I dunno if it's right or wrong - just the way I think many "voters" will think.

One thing is for sure, we need more guys in MLB like him.

Dal

• Options
    I dont think he will be the test case because his overall numbers just arent that great. Put his numbers next to Palmiero and they pale. I dont think they compare to Rice, Murphy or Dawson even.

A DH might make it someday, but I think it will be harder than a relief picther and I dont think Edgar will be it.

But he was a very good player for a long time.
  • Options
    Come awn, SOMEONE has to say something bad about Gar.. JS, you out there? image
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>That being said, he only played "half" a game for a large portion of his career, being primarily a DH.... >>

The way I see it, by that rationale, there shouldn't be any DH-era AL pitchers in the HOF, because they don't bat. And anyways, how many amazing batters are already in the Hall despite their average-at-best fielding skills?

Incidentally, out of interest I plugged Edgar's career numbers into Bill James' formula designed to rank HOF players, where 100 points would signify a perfect player, and 50 points would be an "average Hall of Famer". Martinez scores 53 points on this scale, even giving him 0 positional points for playing DH, and could go up another point or two before season's end. BTW, the highest ranking player on this scale is Willie Mays at 89 points.