Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advise for my son

My 13 year old son invested $500 in about 10 lincoln PCGS pennies about 2 1/2 years ago. They are now worth $2000 and he wants me to sell them at the ANA show and buy another type of coin. What do all of the gurus think is the best 1 or 2 coins or series to invest his $2000?

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A really nice St. Gaudens 20$ or 1921 Peace $.

Edited to add: I thought you meant best 1 or 2 coins, not coin series...sorry.
  • Options

<< <i> My 13 year old son invested $500 in about 10 li They are now worth $2000 >>

If you are quoting the PCGS Priceguide, $2000 is most likely more than what they are really worth.
  • Options
    Actually, the $2000 is based on results from Heritage auctions.
  • Options
    Individual coins or coins series. Either advise is great. thanks
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Uhmmm.........I would hold them until lincoln series is over and go for more of a long run. Or sell just a few and do the $500 thing again.

t
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    DMPL Morgans always appealed to me as a decent investment. Also, Proof Buffs, 1916 SLQ's, and of course you can never go wrong with a 1909-s V.D.B.....unless you want to completeley escape from lincolns.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just take your profit and put it in the bank. His chance of repeating that % gain in the near future isn't good. Too much of the market is fully priced.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Very low POP 50's and 60's proofs are cheap !
    If you can find them !
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought.
    What would help keep his interest in the hobby.
    Maybe a start on a type set. Like I said just a thought.image
    Larry

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of PCGS VG 1916-D merc dimes.

David
  • Options
    type set is a great idea but he has two start somewhere. what is your thought?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a pretty good chance that he will not get the $2000 that similar coins sold for at Heritage. How do you plan to sell the coins?
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    There's a pretty good chance that he will get the $2000 that similar coins sold for at Heritage.

In whichever series I'd say don't buy an overhyped keydate that has already gone way up (like an 09-s vdb) but a date that is much more impossible to find (like in Lincolns a 17-s or 18-d or 23-s).

Just curious, what 10 coins and what 10 grades?
  • Options
    Don't forget the Heritage 15% buyer's premium.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could sell all of my coins at prices at which similar coins sold for at Heritage (I will pick the comps image) that would be fantastic!
  • Options
    Maybe keeping 1 or 2 or 3 of the nicest Lincolns and selling the others would be a
    good idea. Then you're basically into those coins for free. If the series continues
    to appreciate, then those coins should do well.

As far as where to put the remaining proceeds, who knows? Coins in general,
    and series/individual coins in particular run through cycles. If we all knew which
    coins would appreciate that much in the next two years, none would be available
    as they would quickly be snapped up.

Nothing wrong with tucking away the original $500 investment in the bank, either.
    Then you are playing with "found" money. image

Ken
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    I would get an older proof...maybe liberty nickels..they are very undervalued. Or tell your son, to spend half as an investment, and keep the rest. That way he will never loose his initial investment price.
  • Options
    First of all, I would get cash on hand for the Lincolns and see where we stand. Priceguides are pretty much worthless until you can find a buyer for the coins.

Second - I would absolutely DISCOURAGE your son from looking at coins as an investment - they are about as poor an investment option as you can get into in the long run.

Third, if he's still insistant on getting into coins, have him read on the subject first, so that he can understand what exactly he's looking for in coins.

Coins should be enjoyed for their beauty, history, meaningfulness, and not exclusively for their investment potential - I think once you "cash in" on your Lincolns, you'll see what I mean. Best of luck! image
  • Options
  • Options
    I believe the most valuable of his coins are
    1921 PCGS MS65RD
    1925 PCGS MS66RD
    1926 PCGS MS66RD
    1932 PCGS MS66RD
    1945 PCGS MS67RD
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>type set is a great idea but he has two start somewhere. what is your thought? >>

Please see my icon.image

Or 2k could buy a lot of nice $50 type coins. A great start to a type set.
    I say this as a collector not seeing this as an investment.
    It's just a fun hobby filled with history.image
    Larry

• Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    Those are pretty good coins. You could just post them on BST and sell straight to other collectors. Those sell on ebay well too if you can take a good picture (and the coin is nice). I may even be interested in the 1921.

Edited: Sorry if you weren't looking for advice on how to go about selling image. As to waht to buy, I'd say mintmarked coins over philly coins if you stick with early 20th century.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file