Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

End Result of Dipping a Coin

When you purchase a blazer ........a silver/white Mercury Dime that looks like it was minted yesterday......is it possible that the coin could have been dipped in something to make it appear like new? Also, if a coin was toned....say black...or with some color, can it be hidden and made to look like new? Will that show up years later?? Any input is appreciated! Thanks from Mike

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it is hard to tell if a coin has been dipped. It is easier to tell if a coin has not been dipped.

If a coin is toned black it can not be dipped back to full brillant mint luster.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Because silver is so reactive chemically, it stands to reason that many "blast white" coins have been dipped to try and increase their resale value. Some dipped out of ignorance, and some dipped to try and remove toning that was uneven, unattractive, etc...
    Many coins are dipped, and then later begin to turn- which can be from a bad rinse following the dip, or from the coin beginning to naturally retone. The problem that I have, is that retoned coins (from my limited experience) never seem to tone in a very attractive way. The 2nd (or 3rd) time around is never as good as the first.....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    Okay, just a few notes.

#1 Silver is one of the least chemically reactive metals in the universe. It has a weakness to sulfur, but otherwise can exist for thousands of years without more than a tarnish.
    #2 Dipping a coin can never add luster, it can only reveal it. Luster is the directional reflection of light caused by raised flow lines, and can not be replaced or enhanced.
    #3 Almost all lusterless coins have been destroyed by toning, not dipping. This is obvious to anyone who has ever practiced dipping on an assortment of coins.
    "...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file