Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you feel sorry for dealers when you take away their profits?

I was looking at a couple of seated liberty dollars on eBay from a dealer a few weeks ago, both NGC XF-45, with starting bids of $425.
The PCGS price guide lists these at $425 and Numismedia lists them at $310 and $300

They relisted them last week with no reserve and I bought both, the 1870 for $332 and the 1871 for $315, which I assume they still made a little money on (but maybe not). And besides, there were no buyers at $425 anyway so they might as well asked for $500+

Anyway I guess my point is, it must be very difficult to make money as a coin dealer. You either have to buy coins very cheap at the right grade, or buy undergraded coins and make your money with the value in the point difference.

Even though this dealer wasn't able to take the family out to a steak dinner with his profit at $425, at least he was able to keep them feed one more day, albeit probably only at McDonalds.

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    No

If a dealer can provide a service and make a profit by finding a specific coin for a buyer or by bidding a coin for a buyer at an auction the buyer is unable to attend then he earned his money and deserves it. BUT... A guy who just buys and sells coins is providing no service except to himself by trying to take a slice out of a pie he is moving from A to B. I hope he loses money and finds a real job. Most collectors try to buy low and sell high that doesn't make us dealers who have performed any service to anyone but ourselves.

I wish all dealers would go out of business, sell off all their inventory and there would be a lot more coins in the hands of collectors who can enjoy them. If the "dealers" want to make money in the coin business let them sell time as agents working on behalf of buyers and sellers and charge accordingly.

Buying, selling and collecting coins is a hobby, not a business. If one choses to make it a business then they must sell their value added, not coins.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

I do.... so I go by the store and leave a $20 bill in the Inbox every month.

He's got a light bill to pay, you know?

• Options
    Nice coins and since you don't know what the dealer originally paid for the coins you can't be sure he didn't make a profit on them. I figure that most dealers aren't going to sell for a loss.....the profits just fluctuate from coin to coin and they wouldn't be in business if they weren't making a profit a majority of the time.

Again, real nice solid coins you purchased...congrats!!!image
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    Did he tell you what he paid and show an invoice? I make no qualms about a dealer making a decent living, but when they hype a coin they paid little on, I begin to wonder. I really don't think you cut into his profit unless he can show a paper trail!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Live by the sword

Die by the sword

Tomimage
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I don't have any idea what he paid for them, all I know is that he had them listed for $425.

Maybe he only paid $300 and wanted 40% profit but when they didn't sell he listed them with no reserve and took whatever the market would pay (then he'd make a 5-10% profit)

But if he paid $350, then he lost money but moved some inventory. If he is in the business of selling coins, he needs to make a profit in order to stay in business.

If you sell at auction you have no idea what the final selling price will be. It seems a better business plan would be taking your money to Vegas and putting it all on a number on the roulette wheel.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BOO HOO CRY CRY SOB SOB BAWL WAAHHHH!!!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I kinda do. I like to help keep the small businesses going. I mountain bike and get all of my parts from a small local shop. I could get them cheaper on the internet but I'd rather have them stay in business because they provide good service and they are good friends of mine. So, basically i don't mind paying more for good service and a discerning eye to help me make good decisions.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Why in the world would I care? They don't care when they make a lot of money off me.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you feel sorry for dealers when you take away their profits? >>

Yes, but I get over it very quickly.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on your photos, both coins appear to be cleaned. This could account for their low realizations.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For every dealer from whom you take a profit, you give another dealer even more... someone will have made money at some point, and I'm happy if it's me instead image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    Definition of a coin dealer: The troll that lives under the bridge between buyers and sellers.
    "...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    NO !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file