Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who has made one of those boxes for taking pictures of toned coins??

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
You know with the glass at a 45 degree angle?

Wanna sell one???
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options
    someone posted on how to build one, can't remember who and I can't find the thread, someone hook me up, please.

Marty.... when I find the thread I'm gonna ask my neighbor to build a couple, he's retired and likes doing that kinda stuff, mayby I can send ya one.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Hey Marty, thats all I use to shoot raw coins. Doesn't work the same on slabs though. Go to an office supply store and buy two 45 degree geometry triangles and go to the hardware store and have an 10 x 10 inch piece of glass cut. Then you can either tape the trianges to each end of the glass, or mount the triangles to two pieces of upright wood, one on each and and then lay the glass on the triangles. Obviously I have a more permanent solution but that would get you started.

Doug
    ANR
    Visit us at Stacks.com
  • Options
    I may be mistaken, but I believe Frattlaw introduced the box in a thread here.
    Gary
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Marty, this kind of thread belong on the b/s/t forum. Please avoid this kind of OT posting in the futureimage

• Options
    XPipedreamR, are you serious? If so, you are STILL a pipe dreamer. That is very on topic. I never read the original thread on this and hope someone will resurrect it.

Anyone?????

I can quit collecting anytime I want to.....I just don't want to!
  • Options
    I had a weird parts holder laying around. It has a heavy metal base with a swivel clamp attached to a metal rod attached to more swivel clamps attached to aligator clips. I'll try to get a photo posted later. Anyway it cost me about $2 at the flea market. I also picked up a piece of scrap glass at the hardware store for free. The aligator clips hold the glass and I can adjust the angle.

It helps for some raw, toned coins. It doesn't seem to do well for cameo proofs. The slabs get a reflection but I can adjust the angle of the glass to help with that problem.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>XPipedreamR, are you serious? If so, you are STILL a pipe dreamer. That is very on topic. I never read the original thread on this and hope someone will resurrect it.

Anyone????? >>

Watch it, "Oak"...or I'll have you banned to the NGC forums along with airplanenut and all the othersimage
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    Marty..... Here's a link to a previous discussion on building one of these boxes. Link

Charlieimage
  • Options
    Sorry no pics in that link. I'll have to take a couple more since I deleted the last one. The box is relatively easy to build and I'm considering refining my original design and make it a little more portable and adjustable.

I'm sure Solid and I could get together and design/manufacture a few for sale if he was into it.

I'm not the best at taking pics, but using the tilted glass/box approach makes it so easy. I only use it for toned coins.

Oh Solid ---- let's talk about this one!

Here's a pic taken using the "box" with NO editing done to the pic.

imageimage

It really does help illustrate the color.

Michael
  • Options
    Bill (cosmicdebris) said he used like a picture frame to make his. Using the frame and the glass from the frame to create the slant... image And I thought mgoogm3 introduced the slanted glass? image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Jr Gman you are correct. By the way with a digital SLR and a Macro lens the angled glass method is no longer needed. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    OK, here is the contraption I came up with:

• Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    Somebody should start making these and selling them on eBay...BTW, does anyone have a set of comprehensive instructions for making one and what materials are needed? I'd be very interested if you could post it here.
  • Options
    would this help in the project ?
    it's a Radio Shack 3rd hand for soldering and other projects.

Proof
  • Options

<< <i>Watch it, "Oak"...or I'll have you banned to the NGC forums along with airplanenut and all the others >>

Then he'd have to go to all the trouble of using a proxy server to create another account here image
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    i just used a small glass pane from a picture frame with a couple pieces of cardboard to prop it up. Like cosmic, the SLR help me take pictures of color with only a small angle on the coin and I find that works better than the glass for me. i may try it for raw where it should work really well.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    This thing has more angles than coinmoovahs !
  • Options
    I just tried this and used plastic acrylic instead of glass. It worked GREAT!!!!
    .image
    .image
  • Options
    maybe use a piece of frosted glass in the background ?
  • Options
    im starting to like this thing !
    need to work on the lighting a bit.
  • Options
    "it's a Radio Shack 3rd hand for soldering and other projects."

Yup, that is what I started with! Except I bought mine for $2 at the flea market. I bagged the magnifying glass and picked up some scrap glass from the hardware store. I put tape around the edges so I wouldn't cut myself.
  • Options
    Maybe a piece of non glare on the clips,and some frosted in the background ?
    project for tuesday !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file