Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Storing Coins

I just got my Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfiet Detection from PCGS and was reading it this past week.

In the part about: Handling and Storage, they go through all the ways NOT to store coins and what's bad for coins, but they never conclude on one specific good way for long term coin storage.

For example:

Polybags: not recommended for long-term storage
Soft Platic Flip: not recommended for long-term storage

They never say what is the best method for storage, other than PCGS slabs. But not all coins are meant to be slabbed.

I really like the slide-page type albums, like Dansco, but they really scare me. The sliding plastic friction potential, and having to press the coin into the album.

What methods do you guys use?

I'm thinking of just plain SAFLIPS as my long term storage method. Or should I get snaptites?

Any other thoughts on the Dansco albums? What kind of coins do you put in those?

Thanks!
CD
to live outside the law, you must be honest ---- bd

Comments

• Options
    For normal storing i use 2x2 mylar flips..they're easy to use, safe, allow you to see the coin, provide efficent protection and allow for labeling. Dansco albums are also very good methods of storage but sometimes they cause toning on coins which can be good or bad. I havent had any problems with hairlines from the plastic slides on MS coins but rarley proofs may develop hairlines........I recomend dansco for coins under MS65 and non-proofs
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with airtites. If you buy them in bulk you can get them for relatively cheap.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Keeping them away from heat, humidity, and aggresive chemical agents (sulfer dioxide, PVC, etc) is all you need to do.

That's why I store my collection in liquid nitrogen.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file