Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much would you pay for a sliver of an 1804 Dollar?

When the California Gold Marketing group found themselves with unsold gold bars from the SS Central America they decided to shave off the faces and melt the remaining gold in to some sort of highly marketable fantasy piece. This increased the potential customer base for the product as more people could get a piece of the historical treasure.

Should the Proof-68 Class 1 1804 Dollar be cut up and sold? Slice that baby up in to about 4000 pieces, sell them for $1500 each and many more people could enjoy pride of ownership while the principals could make at least 50% more money. Seems like a win-win situation to me. What do you think, is this a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    If it were done, there would soon be a blossoming cottage industry of hucksters selling bogus "pieces".

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Not as far-fetched as it sounds.

Awhile ago, one of the major baseball card producers divided a Babe Ruth bat into slivers and included them in special cards. I thought it was a terrible waste of a piece pf history. Ditto with your hyptohetical.
  • Options
    I get first dibs on the intact date sliver "1804" image
  • Options
    Under spot price.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    Nothing. I'm disgusted at the whole idea. Ditto Babe Ruth.

-KHayse
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Silly practice - why not sell shares of the dollar. You could buy as few as one or as many as 1000 and be able to claim partial ownership of one of these things.
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    > why not sell shares of the dollar.

Now that I'd be up for. image

-KHayse
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not buy a sliver. Maybe for $20. It's just not worth anything to me.

I like the partnership idea better. That I would be very interested in, if I knew and completely trusted all parties involved.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it were done, there would soon be a blossoming cottage industry of hucksters selling bogus "pieces". >>

Not if they were SLABBED !!!
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt buy any of them and would do all I could to discorage others from buying them. It's a piece of history, not pieces of history. Why not slice the statue of Liberty up and sell it as peices, or the the Mona Lisa. Hey, the next thing would be selling slivers of bones from dead presidents and other famous people.

David
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear Lincoln Cent Man,

Are you presently employed? If not, we here at Franklin Mint are interested in some of your progressive thinking. Would you consider a position with us in our "product development" department?

Kah P. Katt
    Marketing Director

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    1/4000th of a dollar sized coin would only be good for picking spinach out of your teeth.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you presently employed? If not, we here at Franklin Mint are interested in some of your progressive thinking

lol... thanks for the complement. image

David
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't and wouldn't do it. It wouldn't be the same as having the whole coin.

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much would you pay for a sliver of an 1804 Dollar?

Depends who owns it and if I get to watch him or her yelp as I carve the sliver from the coin. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CRINGE

Many a collector has found himself with gold items that were worth more in weight than they were as collectors items. Gratefully, they don't all run out and melt down these items or there would be far less to collect.

I like the shares idea better also. In the collectors realm there are shares of liquidated stock certificates bringing more than they were ever valued when the companies were alive and actively traded. Atari for example never upgraded above a "Penny" Stock in its heyday but now their liquidated shares sell for as much as $25. So if shares were sold, and the coin<s> involved were lost or destroyed somehow then maybe, someday, another type of collector may be in the market for the cancelled share that would've been paid off by a bonding or insurance company of course.
    Member Steamfitters Local 614
    USMC Veteran 1981-1992
    Cold War Veteran

It's truly funny, no make that truly sad, that people in this day and age are so wrapped up in their own little world that they refuse to try and teach someone else the correct or accepted way of doing things.
  • Options
    Also, with shares you could sell as many as a thousand. I doubt you would get that many viable pieces out of a silver or gold coin.
    Member Steamfitters Local 614
    USMC Veteran 1981-1992
    Cold War Veteran

It's truly funny, no make that truly sad, that people in this day and age are so wrapped up in their own little world that they refuse to try and teach someone else the correct or accepted way of doing things.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    No dice in dicing up Miss Liberty....geeesch!
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file