Home Sports Talk
Options

Freaking Braves

joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
Here we go again, another post all star break demise by the Phils! I can't belive the Braves are 17-4
since the break, how are they winning games? Only the Rocket has beaten them lately. Good think the
Phils went out and got a bunch of players before the deadline...ready to make a push........to the bottom!

We need some head to head games with these guys to make up some ground!

JS

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Their coaching staff has never heard of a pitch count, they have screwed up all their great pitchers in the past years. >>

Evidenced by what, exactly?

<< <i>
    Plus as was already stated, they can't win in October. >>

So based on their postseason performances in the past four season, they can no longer win in October. Despite the fact they've reached the NLCS twice in that period (3 postseason appearances), we should already count them out?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate to say it but the Phils are looking done. Ain't over yet but it ain't looking good either. Especially with Wagner and Millwood out. They may not even hold on to 2nd place. I'll finally admit that it looks unlikely that Bowa will be back next year. He is probably better off as a third base coach than a manager.

Well so much for Phillies baseball this year. Fortunately football is right around the corner. Eagles have been getting a lot of national press coverage and deservedly so. They will go 14 - 2 this year, give or take a game either way. This may get a laugh from non-Eagles fans but this could very well turn out to be the greatest offensive football team of all time - No I'm not kidding! The defense is a little suspect in spots but Jimmy Johnson, unarguably, is the best defensive coach in the NFL - he'll make the most of it.
  • Options
    sportscenter....LOL...Matt Morris and Bud Smith ring any bells? Call the demise of Ankeil what you want, they
    blew out his arm too! These guys were supposed to be amazing pitchers but the Cards staff raged them out..
    7th, 8th inning every night! walk a bunch of batter, who cares, you can go 8! Morris is much better than 12-7
    no to mention all that hitting behind him. Didn't Woody Williams pitch a no no a few years back?

But what does it matter when you can't win in October! Hey ask the Braves if they are talked about as
    "best ever"......Ask the Buffalo Bills too! It don't count unless you have rings on your fingers.

Next

JS
  • Options
    In the two seasons before Morris had Tommy John surgery, he averaged 6 2/3 innings per start. And averaged just over four batters per inning. (4.14) That's hardly a heavy workload. He blew his elbow out in Spring Training, when your mechanics are rusty and you push yourself harder, not late in the year after numerous starts with high pitch counts.

He's struggling this year, but it's not because he's being over-worked. He's averaging less than 100 pitches per start, and is on pace for 224 IP. While that would be a career high by a mere 7 innings, the projection is figured on him getting 35 starts. He only had 33 the year he pitched 217. If anything, it's the NL Central being the most improved division over the past year.

I don't know if you ever saw Bud Smith pitch, but he didn't have the most fluid pitching motion. And while you can tweak a guy's mechanics and how/where he releases the ball, you can't up and build him a new delivery.

When you got to Ankiel, it's obvious you were grasping at straws to make yourself look a little less foolish. You failed. He got hurt in AA, not under LaRussa's watch. After he got sent down, he still couldn't get guys out. His wildness is what led to him not staying in the majors, not his health.

And no, Woody Williams did not pitch a no-hitter.
  • Options
    funny no stats on Ankiel's pitch count under LaRussa's watch...he was already chewed meat when the sent
    him down. Why ignore the obvious?

JS
  • Options
    It's wasn't worth the math, but if you must have the numbers, he averaged 5 2/3 innings per start. Even discounting the "wild" season completely, it doesn't reach 6. And like Morris, he checks out at just over four batters per inning (4.19) -- again, excluding the "wild" season. (4.29 for the whole 3 years.)
  • Options
    why do you keep trying to make the numbers work for you? Don't give me innings give me pitches! Pedro can
    go 9 innings and throw 70 times, Ankiel was throwing 15-20 pitches an inning. He was over 100 practically
    every outing. Cards staff wasted him.

You all need to find a way to win in the post season, maybe if you put up 10 runs a game you might win a few!

JS
  • Options

<< <i>why do you keep trying to make the numbers work for you? Don't give me innings give me pitches! Pedro can
    go 9 innings and throw 70 times, Ankiel was throwing 15-20 pitches an inning. He was over 100 practically
    every outing. Cards staff wasted him. >>

Wrong again. Scott Boras, Ankiel's agent, specifically asked Walt Jocketty to limit Ankiel's workload until he turned 22. This involved keeping his pitch count below 100, and the Cardinal's obliged.
  • Options
    Braves take it all this year. Mark my words...
    there will be no choke this year!
    GO BRAVES
    Real recognize REAL