Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the strangest coin shop you've been in?

ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
Four years ago this month I visited a well-to-do suburb of Chicago for the first time. When my host drove us away from the historic downtown business district, we passed a coin and stamp shop, which had the front door wide open at 8:30 PM. I spotted a customer looking through albums infront of the elderly owner.

A month later I decided to check out the place for myself. No one was inside other than the unshaven owner with food stains on his shirt. He must have been about 80 years old. I mentioned that I had just started working for a computer shop and he asked if I could fix his new computer. He told me that he had spent a couple thousand dollars on the system so that he could sell his coins and stamps on eBay, since attending shows was too difficult for him. His internet access was not a problem, and Windows still booted up quickly. The only problem was that he couldn't figure out how to make text and pictures bigger on his new 21" monitor. I mentioned "display properties" and lowering the screen resolution, but when I looked at his monitor, it was already set to the lowest setting available (640 x 480). Strange, I thought. But if Ray Charles can drive a bus, why can't we have a blind coin dealer?

He then took a check for over $300 out of his till and asked me to smell it. It looked and smelled normal to me, but the owner of the shop told me that earlier that afternoon someone had written this to pay him for an early U.S. airmail stamp, and he wondered if the check might bounce because he thought it smelled like marijuana!

While I looked through his book of mostly polished Barber Dimes, he was still sniffing that check. I picked out a common date dime marked $4.00 on the 2x2 and a couple Wayte Raymond album pages from his pile of 50 cent used albums which looked like they had been sitting in the front window for years. I wanted to get out quickly and gave him a five dollar bill. He said that he liked me and insisted that he sell me the dime for $2.50 and throw in one album page for free. I didn't know how he could stay in business this way, and I initially refused the change. Rather than stay there arguing with this cazy old dealer, I decided to accept the $2.00 change and get out quickly, never to return.

This is a true story, but I have forgotten the name of the shop and the owner. Can anyone top this? The old man may have been Josh Tatum's grandson, giving back change from a real $5 note for a purchase of an AT coin to make up for grandpa's practice of accepting $4.95 change when an AT nickel was offered for a 5 cent purchase.
"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like a lonely elder. I probably would have bought a couple more things just to make him happy.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    There was a place up in Toronto, Canada that I went to that sold only bullion. I wasn`t intending to by anything, just going out of curiosity. It was a second story shop that looked like a cramped used book store. The aged 50`s style with a mainly wood interior that one would find on a college campus type place.

The three workers that where there where walking around like chickens with thier head cut off. I wasn`t there for more then 5 minutes when a fellow came up the stairs to say he was there. Then two of them followed them down to a truck and brought up some boxes. After seaveral trips, I was almost boxed in by a shipment of new Canadian Bullion. The delivery man handed the one that wasn`t bring up boxes 3 receipts. I saw 2 of them that he signed as proof that the shipment was complete. The first receipt I saw was for about $46,000 Canadian and the other I saw was for about $32,000 Canadian. In all, to my best estimate, was about $100,000 Canadian worth of Canadian Platinum, Gold, and Silver bars and rounds. The Bars looked like 10 oz troy in gold and silver as I saw them opening up the boxes and looking at them. The rounds where plain rounds and fancy colorized rounds.

I left soon after that as they where too concerned about sorting it out in such cramped quarters and I was basically in the way. I wasn`t offended by it as with a shipment like that, I would be a bundle of nerves too and wanted it to be in safe storage.
  • Options
    I went in a coin shop in upstate N.H. while on vacation, at first it looked like a waste of time. Then the owner, an elderly man asked whAT I collected. I told him morgans mostly, he quickly produced several cc gsa's and sold them to me for $70.00 a pc. an 82, 83, 84. I still have these today and they would grade 65 all day long.
    Michael
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Believe it or not, I have only been in one coin shop in my life and it was back in 1967. My hometown had a small coin dealer on the main drag and I wandered in one day. Began to look around and the owner asked me if I was interested in collecting coins. I told him that I thought they were neat and might want to start a collection. After talking a while with me he offered me a 1909 Lincoln for $2.00. I bought it, which was a lot for me as I was only 6 yrs old at the time. Unfortunately I have no idea whatever happened to the penny I remember it being in a 2X2 for years in my parents house but as I grew older and eventually moved out it got lost. Strange how it took me 37 years to buy another coin and actually get interested in collecting. I always wonder what happened to that cent and what it was in terms of grade, mint etc...
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    That was a funny visual of the old guy sniffing the marijuanna laided check. image
    Here in Florida, there is always the one common denominator when it commes to weird shops.

What you have is a coin shop trying to be a jewelery shop/pawn shop/gun shop/antique store/stamp shop/VFW lodge/cash advance place/i know everything shop.
    A super hybrid store never works for long. One has to pick a specialty and stick with it.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Probably the strangest place I've been to was a small shop in Yuma, AZ that I visited this past christmas. I grew up there, and went back to visit my parents. My mom was good enough to drive me around to a couple of the local shops, and we found this one in this derelict part of town in a building that probably should be condemned. After we met the guy who ran it, I realized that he used to run a shop with his stepfather approximately 25 years ago, and that had been the shop that had originally gotten me into collecting. The weird thing about this place though was that he used it as a gun shop/coin shop, and there were all of these guys sitting around in camoflauge with animal heads nailed to the walls. The mannequins with camo on also added to the whole vibe, and it looked like the place hadn't been cleaned in about 10 years.... I didn't find any gems, but we didn't stay long to dig through everything he had..... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Hey CCEX,

That should wasn't in wanetka was it? I think I have been there!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Back in the 50s, Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Bark Calif. was just a berry patch with a mock ghost town, a few rides (a railroad train and stagecoach), some shops and a chicken dinner restaurant. Today, it's a big amusement park, and their jams & jellies are sold internationally.

One of the shops was a coin store. It was in the ghost town bank, as I recall (it's not easy to reach back 50 years). They had rows of large cents, indian cents and the like on display for sale, in various circulated grades. The storekeeper was dressed in cowboy garb, complete with six-shooters on his hip!

My Dad (RIP) would always take me to the store on our Knotts Berry Farm visits and buy me a few coins or a "modern' (sorry Russ) proof set (1950-up). I still have the proof sets, and they conjure-up some great memories.

To me, a coin shop in a mock ghost town with a cowboy behind the counter falls smack into the "strangest coin shop"" category!!
  • Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Back in the 60`s I use to go to a coin store in Stamford, Conn. It was a small store and all 3 owners smoked cigars. Well, you can imagine how my Coin World smelled when I got home. To this day, I smell cigar smoke and I think of coins!
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    The shop was in an ancient brown stone building. You entered and walked about 20 feet down a dark hallway then took a left down an even darker hallway. When you reached the end of the hall you found 3 chairs in the hall and a barred window with closed shutter. You knocked on the window and a young fellow raised the shutter. After talking to you a bit, he would slide you trays of coins through the slot at the bottom of the bars. None of the coins were in 2X2s or flips. They were loose in the tray compartments sliding around in the dust and grime.
    The thought occurred to me that someone could take a tray and bolt out of the building before the guy could get out of his locked cage.
    Different way of doing business but the operation do doubt evolved over time as the young owner had taken over the shop from his father.
    Bought a lot of nice coins there.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options

<< <i>Back in the 50s, Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Bark Calif. was just a berry patch with a mock ghost town >>

I worked part-time at Knott's for 5 years during college (early 80's). I didn't even realize there was a coin shop in ghost town...or I completely forgot about it. Thanks for triggering the memory.
    Bill
  • Options

<< <i>Hey CCEX,

That should wasn't in wanetka was it? I think I have been there!image >>

No Marty,

The shop was in LaGrange.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    There is an antiquarian shop on Magnolia Ave. in Burbank that I have been watching for 10 years.
    I say watching because it has NEVER been open. I parked one day and was able to see a large case of
    coins that just lay there getting dusty.

Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was a kid my dad used to do a lot of buying from a dealer who sold out of the back office of a large dry-cleaning plant.
    mirabela
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    I went into a coinshop/army store. To the left sat coins...while to the right...lost of blades, and trunks, and naked female mannequins! It was very...interesting.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mary Sellers' shop in Asheville, NC was an experience. The place looked like a rummage sale. Everywhere there was stuff. And I mean stuff, not just coins. There was a whole shelf of baking extracts, bunches of old typewriters in various states of repair, a mounted largemouth bass with a set of dentures in its mouth, books, papers, the Christmas cards she got two years before (mixed in with the rack of Whitman folders), jars and bottles, sacks (some of coins, maybe, others might have had pecans or potatoes or who knows what?), and more boxes than you could ever count or look in, and the occasional odd item like pumpkins or a basket of yellow squash.

The coins ran the gamut from junk to gems, with most of the visible stuff being the usual sort of things one sees in your average coin shop. Mrs. Sellers would sometimes overgrade (heck, she was older than Methusela), but she would sometimes undergrade, too. And sometimes her prices could be out-of-whack, but usually to the buyer's advantage- if she bought a coin in 1979, say for example she'd often still sell it at the 1979 pricetag- in 1992! One time I got one of those really nice Capital Plastics frames for a type set- you know- the kind with the screws, that sell for twenty or thirty bucks or more today. This one was still wrapped in the original wrapper, with the original pricetag... two bucks!

Despite the towering piles of clutter, it was always a fun place to visit, and Mrs. Sellers was always a joy. I would bring my son in, who was a toddler at the time, and Mrs. S. really got a kick out of seeing him.

She finally got too old to run the shop by herself, and I understand she's in a nursing home now. She's gotta be in her nineties, at least. God bless her.

Paul O'Neal's shop here in Brunswick, GA (Hildegard's Antiques and Collectibles) was similar to Mrs. Sellers' shop, but a tiny bit less cluttered. It was a Mom-and-Pop. (Mom owned the shop and sold antiques, while Pop had the coins). All in all, Mr. O'Neal was amazingly similar to Mrs. Sellers. I used to visit his shop as a kid. I graduated from high school with his son, too. Like Mrs. Sellers, Mr. O'Neal finally closed up shop due to advancing age and failing health (he'd been widowed when Hildegard died). He went to live with his children. After Jim Atha of Golden Isles Collectibles moved to Raleigh, I was left as pretty much the only dealer in town, but my little antique mall booth ain't much to speak of.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey CCEX,

That should wasn't in wanetka was it? I think I have been there!image >>

Are we talking about Wayne in Winnetka, ILL, or Dwayne in Winnetka, CA ?
    Promote The Hobby and Make it a Positive Experience for all, Remember That this Hobby Can Be Fun & Profitable & Profit is Always FUN
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin shop in Fairbanks, Alaska on I believe old historic 2nd Street is worth a visit if you get up there on a Tour or Cruise. Not only do they have a varied collection of tokens (which were actively used for trade, barter, and admission in parts of Alaska for years), but they also sell old books that were published 100's of years ago. Ask them about the historic Alaska bank notes from Territorial Days and they will tell you about the local banker who has a stockpile of them salted away.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    The strangest shop I have ever been to was closed but the sign outside was RARE COINS & LIVE BAIT.. I SH!T you not!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    This is more in the "p!ss you off" category than "strange". I went into a local shop and the dealer was cultivating a relationship with an auctioneer to salt his estate auctions with worn out morgan dollars. The dealer said they could get $30-$50 coin and that he'd been doing it for years but the last two auctions companys were going out of business and now he needed someone else to auction them. I pushed the coin tray back and left.

I can quit collecting anytime I want to.....I just don't want to!
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gary's Seafood, Jerky, and Rare Coins in Ocean Shores, Washington. I have not been there yet, but it sounds like my kind of place!
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    The last coin shop I went to, was at lunch time in the middle of the week.
    No coins out on display, nor any coins in the display cases either.
    I guessed they didn't want to be robbed too easily.
    I guess I didn't buy anything either.
  • Options
    Been (a few times) to a coin store / garage. The guy always comes in from the garage to the back of the counter filthy. He's been under the hood all day !!

Steve from MA image
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parowan, UT.

Driving through . . . a town of just a few hundred people north of St. George on I-15 . . . . heard they had a coin shop from a local SLC dealer. Sure enough . . .a hole-in-the-wall spot in the interior of a 'strip mall' . . . had a doorway which opened up into a simple 8 sq. ft. area to just stand in front of a rolling case. Older gentleman who was competent running the place. Not enough room for two people to even turn around, you had to back out of the door. He sat behind on a stool and had a bit more inventory here and there if you asked, but not much.

Looked in the case and saw a spectacular 1909-VDB . . .$30. Became one of the first coins I ever submitted to PCGS . . .MS67RD.

I think the place is gone now . . .
  • Options

<< <i>The strangest shop I have ever been to was closed but the sign outside was RARE COINS & LIVE BAIT.. I SH!T you not!!! >>

The owner must have been making use of his own inventory, closed for fishing. What a life he must have led. When he was tired of trolling for suckers or selling sucker minnows for going trolling, he could always decide to go trolling with his own suckers.

I have caught stupoid panfish before with pieces of rubber off the back of the boat as bait, but haven't figured out how to put my coins on a hook (since some are worth less than the live bait I buy every summer). I would not be surprised if someone, like the proprietor of that shop made spinners out of elongated Lincolns and such. I would be very surprised if he ever caught a real fish with a slabbed coin, regardless of grading company.

Perhaps some of the "bottom feeder" grading companies out there could spend their spare time gathering data from the preferences of real live fish. If catfish, walleyes, or pike like fishing lures made of cracked slabs from company ABC more than the same lure fashioned from company XYZ's slabs, I expect to read the results in company ABC's eBay auctions.

But back to topic: where was this coin/bait shop located? I'm looking for a new place to go fishing this fall, and will probably check out a few weird coin shops along the way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file