Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

best looking baseball sets..

i know this thread has existed before.. but i'm sitting here scanning some 1965 cards, and i've come to the realization that its one of my favorite looking sets.. (at least the front of them, anyway)..
·p_A·

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    shhhhhhhh.... that happens to be the set I am working on!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>shhhhhhhh.... that happens to be the set I am working on! >>

lol.. my bad! good luck with the set, though.. i dont know why ive never really noticed them until now, because ive owned alot of them through the years.. the pictures are great.. the 4 that i was scanning today were McCovey, Whitey Ford, Bob Eucker and Bob Gibson.. all of them are good, clear photos.. i really like the McCovey and Uecker photos..

and my Uecker card is in awesome shape.. corners and surface are PERFECT.. but the centering would probably give it an 8.. (although I've seen 9's with worse)..

dont worry though, i wont be putting a set together anytime soon.. just not enough room in the budget right now.. =(
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    The 65's are a set I'm working on too. My PSA 8 McCovey is one beautiful card. FYI Steve, I just had to buy a new truck so am concentrating on just my '69's right now. Good chance for you to be aggresive on the 65's as Brian has backed off some also I understand.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My PSA 8 McCovey is one beautiful card. >>

How about a look Dave.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The 65's are a set I'm working on too. My PSA 8 McCovey is one beautiful card. FYI Steve, I just had to buy a new truck so am concentrating on just my '69's right now. Good chance for you to be aggresive on the 65's as Brian has backed off some also I understand.

figures now that I am at the point where I was gonna chill the competition aint there any longer.

oh what the hell may as well go for it then!
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Good chance for you to be aggresive on the 65's as Brian has backed off some also I understand.

Dave >>

Better hurry Steve - I'm 90% done with Doom 3 image

I got a ton of dups - I'll check to see if you guys need any.

Brian
  • Options
    ahhh doomit!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    i love the 65's, IMO the brock and gibson are two of the sharpest looking cards in the set. certain cards look great with the color schemes they used. the mccovey is awesome as well as the marichal.
    a couple of weeks ago stan martucci had a bunch of high numbered 65's up on ebay. i placed bids on the psa 8 stottlemyre and the psa 7 downing. i'm not considering doing the whole set but one day i plan on doing a few of team sets. the yanks, giants, and cardinals in psa 7 & 8

in my book, of the topps issues of the sixties the 65 set is right up there with the 67 set .
  • Options
    those cards Stan had were nice, btw I ended up with that Downing. I agree the 65 set is one beaut! It is the first set I collected as a kid basically, or at least the first set I was able to collect knowing that a "set" existed. b4 that I just bought packs w/o understanding (prolly for the gum)........in any event I am trying to build the set with an overall average of 7.50......I am at 7.65 and 35% at the present time. I hope to complete the set within 3 years.

edited to add my favorite card in the set is the Mays card, bat on shoulder..............I remm getting that card in a pack while visiting an elderly aunt that gave me a silver half dollar. I bought 2 paks a soda prolly some ring dings and a balsa wood airplane......ahhh I can even smell her gravy............yeah we Italians call sauce gravy!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely love the 1965 Topps Baseball set. That #350 is a terrific Mantle card. I was in 5th grade at the time and at the height of my childhood collecting years. I know the inserts from that year are not the most popular, but I also love those embossed cards. The interesting thing is that they are very tough to find in high grades. The front scratched so easily just handling them a little bit right out of the pack.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Here's the McCovey. image

The rest of my set (about 130 cards). I just received the Maris today but it's not scanned in yet. 1965 set
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a beauty Dave!
    I have two raw that are so off-center, you can practically see the other card!
    Thanx for sharing.

Steve
    At 35%! What is Brian up to? 90%!!! Ah, the competition!

I too share everyone's sentiments - this is a great set - even tho I did take a bath on the Carlton RC!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    I really dig the 1965 set too. That was the set that got me hooked in the whole PSA set addiction.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    While I primarily collect 70's cards, the 1965 set is a favorite of mine also. Love the design, very sharp and clean.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    what do you all think I could get for a 65 Aaron BVG 7?

Thanks
    Kevin