Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How's the Quality of 2004 Mint Sets? (And got a fix)

I just placed my first coin order in nearly three months.... my wife said I had gone so long, I could kick the habit for good. But temptation got the better of me... new coins... luster... grades.... www.usmint.gov.... place order... ahhhh!

Anyhow, back to the point. How are the coins looking in these sets? Will higher grade Peace nickels be coming? And the others?
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Options
    I just received my proof sets silver and clad.........they are ok but had to weed out the really good ones.......the mint sets are back ordered.......
    Building 33-47 Mint Sets always looking for MS67s PM with any coins you might have for sale.

Mike
    idocoins
  • Options
    Brian,

I bought 5 mint sets this year and they do not seem as nice as the 2003 sets. I will admit that 5 sets is not much of a sample. The Denver quarters in the 2004 sets that I received are not nearly as nice as in the past and the Phillys are about the same. The Philly cents are all spotty in my 2004 sets.

Gary
    Gary
  • Options
    How are the coins looking in these sets? Will higher grade Peace nickels be coming? And the others?

I believe the sets are O.K., but quality varies greatly from set to set. I ordered 100 sets, have returned at least half of them, if not more.

The cents look very good across all sets, minimal markings, decent strike, but some were marred by grime or oil. I may try to remove this with soap and water when I get around to it.

Nickels, not so good: both the Ps and Ds had more bagmarks than all the other coins. Having looked at a lot of nickels, I bet most of them are MS64-65 at best; if there are just a couple MS67s I'll be thrilled.

Quarters, hit or miss. They have no relief whatever, and many are marked up. When a cellophane pack has at least one nearly mark-free quarter, I keep the pack, otherwise it goes back.

Halves generally looked good, but more than half had marks distracting enough that I wanted to send them back. Others had that chatter across the face. So the halves are better than the nickels but worse than the cents.

Sacs were generally disappointing, as nearly all of them had hits in the face and other important devices, and like the cents some of them had spotting. If I have a handful of good Sacs I'll be happy.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file