Home Sports Talk

St. Louis Cardinals!!= world series champs!

Just got larry walker to put in a lineup of pujols rolen and edmounds. wow!

walker link to cards!

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I just saw that myself over on espn.com. I've been a Walker fan for about 9 years now and am glad to see him go to a contender. It should be exciting to see how he does in that lineupimage

Steve
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    can walker pitch too? I doubt it, and even if he did the Card's coaching staff would blow out his arms like all
    their other pitchers.

JS
  • I seriouly doubt it. If the Cubs get in, they will bring the World Series trophy to Chicago. To hell with the billy goat. Count on it.
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Don't want to get too excited since the LaRussa-era Cardinals have done absolutely nothing in the postseason, but this is a great acquisition for the Redbirds.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

• << <i>can walker pitch too? I doubt it, and even if he did the Card's coaching staff would blow out his arms like all
    their other pitchers.

JS >>

What's wrong with their pitching?
    Their coaching staff has never heard of a pitch count, they have screwed up all their great pitchers in the past
    years. Plus as was already stated, they can't win in October.

JS

• << <i>Their coaching staff has never heard of a pitch count, they have screwed up all their great pitchers in the past years. >>

Evidenced by what, exactly?

<< <i>
    Plus as was already stated, they can't win in October. >>

So based on their postseason performances in the past four season, they can no longer win in October. Despite the fact they've reached the NLCS twice in that period (3 postseason appearances), we should already count them out?
  • The Cards are trying to buy a World Series ring. Even if they win the fans will feel hollow in the long run. image
  • phreakydancinphreakydancin Posts: 1,691 ✭✭

<< <i>The Cards are trying to buy a World Series ring. Even if they win the fans will feel hollow in the long run. image >>

Could you please name a baseball team owner who is NOT trying to buy a World Series ring? That's the whole point, isn't it? Some owners just have deeper pockets than others.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way that I understand it is that the Rockies are paying most of his salary. Am I wrong? If I am right, how could you turn that deal down.

As far as pitch counts go, I read where they have only had about four or five games where pitchers have thrown more than 100. The Cardinals haven't had anymore injuries in recent years than anyother team. Take a look at the "quality starts" that the Cardinals pitching staff has had. They have really been a great surprise. I also can't remember a start that a starter has missed. The way Jason Marquis and Chris Carpenter is throwing, the Redbirds are well on their way.

By the way, they can hit too! image (and play defense, and run, and have great chemistry, and great fans)

Shane

• Great addition for the Cardinals. A great lineup gets you into the playoffs. After that it comes down to hot pitching and hitting in the playoffs evidenced by wildcards Angels and Mariners.
    Mike Miller
    Yankee Collector 1958-60
    Retired complete 1960 Topps set
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>The Cards are trying to buy a World Series ring. Even if they win the fans will feel hollow in the long run. >>

Boy, that sounds familiar...
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm forgetting somebody, but which Cardinals pitcher has blown up his arm in the last few years? Ankiel doesn't count because he was already mentally far from the big leagues when he got hurt. Unless I'm wrong, this sounds like typical misinformation. Please prove me wrong!
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    You're not wrong. In fact, I think they've done a great job thus far with Carpenter, Suppan and Marquis. Those three guys were kinda question marks coming into the season and they've all exceeded expectations. Morris is having an off year, but I don't think it's the result of how he was handled by the coaching staff.

And the notion that the Cards are trying to buy a championship is ridiculous. The team probably has the means to do so, but they're really not profligate spenders. Plus the Rockies are picking up about half of Walker's 2005 salary. I wasn't at the game today, but I can assure you there was nothing hollow about the ovations given to Walker. Only an idiot would believe that Cardinals fans, should the team win it all, will be saying, "Yeah that World Series championship was nice, but it would've felt so much better if we hadn't traded for Larry Walker late in the year."
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    St. Louis Cardinals!!= world series champs!
    Created On Friday 6, August, 2004 7:49 PM by kuhlmann

Yep, no point in playing out the season or postseason. image
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Cards are trying to buy a World Series ring. >>

I'm in agreement with phreaky on this one - I'm a Braves fan and don't have an axe to grind on the cards or any team for that matter - if a team makes some good trades that is within their budget - that's good team management of personnel - every team is trying to acquire (buy) people that will help them win a World Series - and this argument about money has been discussed over and over again - altho the Yanks spend tons of cash, so do many other teams who do not seem to get any bang for their buck.

As a long time Braves fan, I am very content with what they have done to give me entertainment - another WS win would be nice but if the Cards or the Cubs win the big one - that's OK too.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Who is sitting now that Walker is there? Also, are they expecting him to play all the time or just frequently?

The Cubs were just in Colorado and he didnt seem to be playing much at all.
  • Just a quick question. What is the point of a trading deadline if trades are being made after?
    Just a quick question. What is the point of a trading deadline if trades are being made after?

I believe the difference is that trades made before the deadline are straight deals between the teams involved directly in the trade. In any trade made after the deadline, the players involved must clear Waivers before being traded.

Steve
  • A player has to be waived, and the waivers work based on your wins/losses. This way the teams that need the players more have a shot. I'm not 100% sure but if a player is claimed they have to work out a deal in order to get that player.
    imageimage
  • Nearly every player in the majors is placed on waivers during August.

If a player goes unclaimed, he's free to be traded anywhere.

If a player is claimed by one team, he can only be traded to that team.

If a player is claimed by more than one team, the team lower in the standings gets priority and the player can only be traded to that team.

If a player is claimed by more than one team in both leagues, the team with the lowest standings in the same league as the waived player gets priority, even if the other club(s) have a worse record. He can only be traded to that team.

Teams also have the option of pulling the player off waivers if a deal can't be worked out. They can do this only once, so if they waive him again, he goes to whoever claims him as a waiver transfer. (With the same rules regarding priority in effect.)
  • Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    Yankees in 5
    Actually, I think the Padres are gonna surprise everyone and win the NL Pennantimage

Steve
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭

Well, they are certainly running away with the division, best record in both leagues, and have all 3 ingredients to lock up the season with a championship. They are 13 games ahead in their division and plenty of guys stepping up and contributing.I don't see a matchup for them in the other league including NY with the 2nd best record.

Sure they don't have the best closer in baseball and the starters have moderately high ERAs, but their offense is damaging. I think they have just enough pitching to get it done. Morris Marquis and Carpenter are in the top 13 of both leagues for Wins and in the top 8 of the NL.No question about it, all 5 starters certainly owe a lot to their offense.

If it was the Yankees we were talking about, they have no starting pitching, hot and cold starters IMO, 2 good relievers and the best closer in the game. The starters could hurt them when it really counts.Vasquez and Hernandez are all they have a shot at with consistency and staying healthy. It's frightening to see that along with a string of 5 hit games they eek out a win on with an occasional offensive onslaught. Hard to believe at times they have the second best record in baseball.

Ahh....maybe I'm just too critical on my Yankees,they fool me everytime I get this way. image

we'll see....image
  • Robe--I think I read that somewhere before.image

Isn't that plaigirism?(sp)

The Cardinals lack power pitchers, which often hurts in the Playoffs. They certainly have the most complete club, though.
    Ole Doctor Buck of the Popes of Hell

• RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Ah....yes Rob,I'm going to have a word with that guy image

Also Rob, I wasn't in disagreement with you in our infamous "Which Rob am I e-mailing today?" mishaps.Mainly I was pointing to a what if type point.

For example,if everything ended tomorrow (as things are in the standings) and it was a STL NY series - it would probably go to 7 games Once again,all decided on One pitch.Just because of the pitching issues on both teams.

However,STL might not have Dominating pitching but certainly have a more solid staff than NY and plenty of offense to carry a starter.NY has plenty of offense but since they are an anxious swinging ballclub all everyone has to do is not pitch to them and they can take them.Not to mention an unfortunate unreliable starting rotation,or should we say inconsistent.On any given day when a NY starter needs offense to carry him seems to be when the bats don't show up.Sometimes they don't hit although have some serious offensive capability and eek out a win with 5 hits.Yes 5.They leave a lot of men on base too.

I just hope Sheffield's shoulder holds up and he keeps it up as the Yankees most reliable hitter.

Comparing NY to STL is pretty close but like you said they are the complete team.NY is streaky so I say 7 games and a good Fall classic if these two teams show up for the big dance image
  • But Rob,

Consider this scenario. If the Giants make the playoffs, they will play the Cards in the Division championship series best of 5. Jason Schmidt will pitch 2 games, and it is quite likely that the Giants could win both. Then, the cards would have to sweep the other 3 to win. That certainly could happen, but in a very short series like that, great pitching usually beats good pitching and hitting.

They won't play the cubs in a best of 5, who with Kerrry and Wood, could easily win. But even in a best of 7, Kerry and Wood could pitch 4 of the 7 games, making it very tough on the Cards.

As the
    Braves can attest, the best regular season team isn't always the best short series team, where a 3 pitcher rotation is adequate.

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    they said the same thing last year with prior and wood.

the cardinals have the edge..because whatever they lack in pitching , they definitly make up in batting
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • And by all rights, the Cubs should have won.

The Cardinals are certainly the best team. But IMnotsoHO image , it is very questionable whether they make it to the World Series.

How bout that Cardinal pitching staff! Aces all around.

JS
    How da Floundering Fillies doing, joe?
  • Gemmy...invoking the Phillies ( one subject I'm in agreement with JS on ) will not take the sting out of a World Series for the Red Sox with all da Noo Yawkers.

Give it up...Yankees are cooked, Jeter da leader is as musty and old as Murcerfan'r former swiss cheese icon. This is Red Sox time and blocking Rolen is as good as anything to this Phillies fan.
    No offense, Doppelganger. Just giving joey a hard time.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Any way to edit the title of the thread? image