Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What purpose does third party grading have today ?

Intended to be a serious question and have some idea of the current state of third party grading. I collected when I was a kid for a few years before the advent of PCGS and started back up several years afterwards. I`ve had the idea that third party grading helped " level the playing ground " and standardizing to a greater degree of grade and prices. Now, after nearly twenty years, that looks to be largely accomplished. So, what purpose or goals can be done with third party grading now? What other problems are out there that aren`t helped by third party grading? Has anything changed as the result of third party grading ?

Hopefully this isn`t too confusingly put together.image

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, the obvious. Keeping the playing field more level.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What purpose does third party grading have today ? >>

Buy a cheap raw coin - slab - sell for obscene profit.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446

<< <i>

<< <i>What purpose does third party grading have today ? >>

Buy a cheap raw coin - slab - sell for obscene profit.

Russ, NCNE >>

Excellent point! imageimage
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I do like the plastic thingamajigs that the coins are placed in. image

At the very least, TPG's help to maintain somewhat accurate grading standards between dealers and collectors.

If they disappeared, I believe that within a few years grading practices would revert back to the days when one persons MS63 was another persons MS67.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do agree with Russ!
    Ken
  • Options
    Politics and opinions about TPG's grading practices aside, I think they do serve us well to help protect the coins themselves. A lot of coins that could have been potentially mishandled survived because of the extra protection a slab provides. I guess an obvious point, but one that applies to a majority of TPGs.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeps PCGS from charging $100 for economy service ??????

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file