Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newbie coin collector looking for suggestions..

Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a few months now and am blown away by the sheer knowledge many of you have on coin collecting and the various facets of it. I've learned a ton already -- THANK YOU!

Shortly, I'll be completing my first coin set -- All 1986-2004 PCGS MS69 Silver Eagles. I know this isn't too exciting compared to some of the gems many of you have, but hey, we all gotta start somewhere image

I'm looking for suggestions for my next set to start collecting. Someone here had mentioned they were starting a set of high-grade coins from their birth year -- I think this is a great idea! Another idea was to continue with the Eagles and collect an entire set of PCGS MS69 $5 Gold Eagles from all the mint years.

I also enjoy the mint/proof/silver sets as well and have begun to buy those here and there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton,

Craig

Comments

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe a type set of coins?

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    image The silver eagles are beatiful coins, Consider a type set
    Michael
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    image to the forums! If you want to collect moderns, I would have to recommend Kennedy Halves. If you'd like to try something a bit older, though, I'd say either large cents or Indian Head cents are your best bet.
  • Options

<< <i>maybe a type set of coins? >>

I always support that idea. It's a lot of fun to work on, and may give you some ideas of interest. The Dansco type set album is a good place to start.

If you like the silver Eagles...I might recommend a short set of Walker halves 41-47...I did that and it peaked my interest to work on the whole set.

Along the idea of silver Eagle bullion coins, I also branched out into the Mexican Libertads and Chinese Pandas...beautiful coins...
  • Options
    Hi there,
    specifically, I'd suggest a set of 1937-1942 Proof Lincoln Cents in strong PR63 or 65, so you could combine your Mint and Proof interests, and get some copper into your collection as well. Also, this would be older Proof material for your collection, with relatively low mintages and still easily affordable. While I guess I am in the minority, I like RB and Bn Proofs - but watch out for fingerprints and hairlines! Eye appeal (to me BN is cool - others like ONLY RD) is the key IMHO. A Type Set is also a wonderful way to go. There is a thread (called "Short Sets") in either this Forum or the Registry Forum in the last 2 days or so about collecting Short Sets and Type Sets of ones own design to fit your budget or your coin desires. I did just this with my Proof Dime Type Set (take a look!). I thought it would be more challenging than collecting what some album tells you to (not that there is anything wrong with that at all). Whatever you decide, be patient and deliberate regarding quality and you'll do OK image

Best to you,
    Billy
  • Options
    CraigLCraigL Posts: 91 ✭✭

<< <i>image The silver eagles are beatiful coins, Consider a type set >>

Thanks everyone for the welcomings -- they are greatly appreciated.

I've thought about the type set and will absolutely consider that.

Paigowjohnny, I really like the Walker halves and will look into those, as well!

My gut feeling is to have any coins I buy be certified -- PCGS preferrably or perhaps ICG. Am I on the right track here? I don't mind paying a little more knowing what I'm buying will most likely hold value or possibly appreciate SOMETIME.

Thanks again all. Glad to be here.

Craig
  • Options
    All the Proof sets from 99 up,the 2009 Proof set should have something interesting to book end the state quarter program.
    high grade birth year proof set,depends what year you need,could be spendy !
    and like johnny said the Walker short set,20 coins and in MS64 certified,could be done very reasonably,would go nice with your Eagles
  • Options

<< <i>[My gut feeling is to have any coins I buy be certified -- PCGS preferrably or perhaps ICG. Am I on the right track here? I don't mind paying a little more knowing what I'm buying will most likely hold value or possibly appreciate SOMETIME. >>

Hello again,
    in response to the the quote above I'd say choose the "right" coin or coins for you, then worry about the slab. Metal first, THEN plastic, IMHO.

Best,
    Billy

PS - the real key here is knowledge and observation. Read as much as you can stand! (though it is easier sitting down) image
  • Options
    CraigLCraigL Posts: 91 ✭✭

<< <i>Hi there,
    specifically, I'd suggest a set of 1937-1942 Proof Lincoln Cents in strong PR63, so you could combine your Mint and Proof interests, and get some copper into your collection as well. Also, this would older material for your collection, with relatively low mintages and still easily affordable. While I guess I am in the minority, I like RB and Bn Proofs - but watch out for fingerprints and hairlines! Eye appeal (to me BN is cool - others like ONLY RD) is the key IMHO. A Type Set is also a wonderful way to go. There is a thread (called "Short Sets") in either this Forum or the Registry Forum in the last 2 days or so about collecting Short Sets and Type Sets of ones own design to fit your budget or your coin desires. I did just this with my Proof Dime Type Set (take a look!). I thought it would be more challenging than collecting what some album tells you to (not that there is anything wrong with that at all). Whatever you decide, be patient and deliberate regarding quality and you'll do OK image

Best to you,
    Billy >>

Billy, I just looked at the link in your sig and saw your 1892 Barber dime -- quite a looker!

Great ideas, everyone. Tonight I'll start looking some of this stuff up. I know many of the acronyms you all use, but a few are still new to me. I'll catch on soon enough.

I like the idea of getting some older coins. My oldest is an 1885-O Morgan that my wife's mom gave us. It has seen better days but I still love it image

-Craig
  • Options
    Hi Craig,
    thanks for the nice comment about my Barber 10c! Feel free to Private Message me to talk about this stuff or maybe I can answer a question or 2 - there are instructions in the "help" section under the Navigation Box to Private Message - you will have to enable your profile to accept them.

Best,
    Billyimage
  • Options

<< <i>My gut feeling is to have any coins I buy be certified -- PCGS preferrably or perhaps ICG. >>

If you're branching into areas you don't know very well, and are gonna spend (in your mind) significant money...that's a start.
    I personally would recommend PCGS, NGC and ANACS graded coinsfirst...and then ICG and maybe green borderded PCIs once you trust your grading eye and feel good about the coin.
    Once you've LOOKED at a lot of coins and feel better about your grading ability and problem detection capabilities (it takes time, but it'll come)...don't be afraid to venture into the raw world. To me, nothing feels better than finding a really nice raw coin I want.
  • Options
    While I am still new to this and don't have the perspective of some of the wiser ones here...
    I am really enjoying putting together my 20th Century Uncirculated Type Set.

You can choose from a wide range of numbers of coins to include depending if you want to count silver and clad years as one or two types, etc.
    You also get a wide variety of denominations and designs that you don't get with collecting one specific series.

Most coins are not too expensive in MS63-65. The Barber 25c and 50c and Type I SLQ are going to be the most, excluding gold.
    As for slabbed coins, I decided to buy only PCGS/NGC coins due to my inexperience with the series and grading.

Here are a few links to people's ideas of what a 20th C Type Set can include.
    PCGS Registry List
    CoinCollector.org
    Coinresource.com

Dave - Durham, NC
  • Options
    Another fun starter set is a Morgan Dollar Date Set...i.e. a coin from each year. Years 93-95 are kinda tough, but for the other years you can get a really nice coin for "relatively" little money.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I highly recommend a type set. It doesn't have to be high grade but will give you an idea of the various coins. I have had a lot of fun with my high grade Dansco type set. It has sparked my interest in earlier series like bust halves and half dimes. If you start it, maybe you will find a set of coins that you have a lot of interest in.

Don't worry so much about buying certified coins. There are many nice raw coins available. Just because a coin is certified, doesn't mean 1) it is accurately graded 2) has any eye appeal whatsoever or 3) will appreciate in value. In many cases, you will have to buy ceritified coins just because raw ones are next to impossible to come by. For example, I had a difficult time finding a MS62 20cent piece for my type set. I had to buy certified, then crack it out.

Good luck in whichever set suits your fancy.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a copy of the PCGS population report and buy older coins that are scarcer. They have the best potential for appreciation in the long run.
  • Options
    start a type set which gives you exposure to many different coins and will help you find a series you enjoy. thats the only way to collect-what you enjoy
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Welcome. I like the the type set theory. May find yourself interested in something you had no idea you would like.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image and have fun and gain lots of knowledge here as I have over the last year! Great place to learn and have some fun as well.

At least you are not trying to sell Grandpa's hoard! image
    Ken
  • Options
    Another vote for either a type set, and PJ's suggestion for a Morgan date set. I'm working on the type set and the date set is done. You can see them in the link on my sig.
    Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file