Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does these auctions look legit?

This guy is selling a bunch of "inherited" coins, take a chance or stay away?
inherited coins?

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Raw coins on eBay, that's the problem. I wouldn't be surprised if every one of them is cleaned.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I never buy the story. Too many "nice" coins without any of the typical "sludge" associated with a "collection".

No return priv.,

If you want coins like those being offered, buy them from someone that isn't afraid to take them back if they don't suit your fancy.

It's always the false allure of the "deal", or "bargain" that makes these type of auctions tick.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Hi,
    well, lets see...."inherited", raw, harshly cleaned at worst - very strange looking at best, sold "as is", seller claims no knowledge etc...enough red flags for a Valentines Day parade and he appears to know how to attempt to "cover himself". Sure, he has "good feedback" but so do most sellers of forged autographs on eBay. Why would you want to bid? I don't know anything about the seller (those are my just opinions up there and his motivations are not my concern) - but why not look for a Dealer/Seller with some knowledge and a return policy? I am certain there are plenty of honest and knowledgeable Dealers in here - if you know what coins you are looking for ask around in a thread. Remember, one of the keys to collecting quality coins is PATIENCE. Collect what you like with knowledge and deliberation and you ought to do all right image

Best to you,
    Billy
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭
    An additional red flag for me is NO PayPal.

When one thinks they are "taking" someone, they are usually the one getting taken!!!

Joe.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>An additional red flag for me is NO PayPal. >>

The funny thing is, the auction is set up so that it's an option...but then the seller says no, and then to "e-mail for instructions" in order to use it. No doubt they're going to try to hit you with the PayPal fees in those "instructions."
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭
    I ACCEPT CHECKS, MONEY ORDERS, BANK DRAFTS etc., PLEASE NO PAYPAL! (please email me for instructions if you would like to use papal).

Actually, it appears they want you to go through the Pope. image

Joe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file