Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Error pics.

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
Just took these tonight. Hard to get good lighting because it's not flat, it's concave obv. It's quite large and well blowed up, especially Mr. Lincoln. i believe it to be a die cap stuck to the rev die while the obv was pounded away by plachet(s) to make him huge. There should be some brockages out there to match. would be cool to find the matching brockage.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    thats way cool
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Awsome!

Where did you find that baby?

Scott

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    Searched through bags and bags and then bought it at a dealer.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    "Just took these tonight. Hard to get good lighting because it's not flat, it's concave obv. It's quite large and well blowed up, especially Mr. Lincoln. i believe it to be a die cap stuck to the rev die while the obv was pounded away by plachet(s) to make him huge. There should be some brockages out there to match. would be cool to find the matching brockage."

Your description is accurate. This is a reverse die cap. It was struck at least twice, once normally and a second time out-of-collar beneath a blank planchet.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    kewl!
  • Options
    It is at the very least a 95% obverse brockage that was double or triple struck. Looks like a MS-67 1999 D. NICE COIN INDEED. How much$$$???
  • Options
    No idea how much it is worth, but I paid about $140 for it. thought it was pretty cool.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Now that is a sweet error! I love the luster, too! Great photo.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding! it looks like Spiro Agnew!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    An excellent thread. Thanks for sharing. Those are great photos.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find. Thanks for the pics.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file